Page 94 of 365 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Wouldn’t be nice to see NDSU do this same thing ALL THE EFFING TIME? But nope ... act, play and get coached like a mediocre team, kinda lie we do in football/major effing purple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Look CAS, I respect your opinion but you constantly compare the football program with the basketball program. Do yourself a favor and scale back your expectations. The NDSU MBB will never be at the competitive level the football program is at. You're probably thinking "that mentality is exactly the problem with NDSU's MBB program" but that "problem" is systemic. No one, from the fan base to the athletic department, supports the MBB program like we support the football program. I'm as guilty of this of anyone. What you have to realize is that you can't have the same expectations from the MBB team that you have from the football team. Does that mean we all should be happy with how things went with NDSU MBB program during the steady decline from the 2nd half of the '16/'17 season until the last few months of this season? Hell no. But if you expect any NDSU basketball team to be anywhere near the level of this Duke team, the prohibitive favorite to win the NCAA tournament, you're delusional. Even the most optimistic of us knew the only shot the Bison had to win this game was to play out of their minds and hope Duke played an absolute shit game. That's just the reality and it always will be with programs that are world apart like these two are.

Take a step back. Appreciate the fact that this team outperformed pretty much everyone's expectations this year. I'm sure you're thinking expectations are only low because of how much the program had slipped in the last 1.5 years before this one but I'll rebut by saying that this is a double edged sword in that expectations for next year are and should be that much higher. The momentum this program has is as good as it has been in the last 5 years. Let's all agree that we want to see more next year but I'd just ask that you appreciate what this team did accomplish this year. It's ok that they're not on the level of the football program but the fact is these guys have the ball rolling in the right direction and if that positive momentum continues into next year we'll all have plenty to cheer about next fall during football season and next winter during basketball season.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We were completely overmatched. We were able to make some shots and take advantage of Duke just not playing their best in the 1st half but when they got on a roll they proved why they are the best team in the country. You really can’t compete with that. It is what it is. Still fun to see and this will add some much needed excitement around the program heading into next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But CAS is treating the BB exactly the same as he would football, and that’s the first step to getting there!

We all need to quit making excuses and get after it.

I’m paying a few thousand for basketball tickets and only went to two games.(alone, by the way, because no one else wanted to sit through it)

I’d gladly pay more for a team that’s attacking everything, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndsu84 View Post
    But CAS is treating the BB exactly the same as he would football, and that’s the first step to getting there!

We all need to quit making excuses and get after it.

I’m paying a few thousand for basketball tickets and only went to two games.(alone, by the way, because no one else wanted to sit through it)

I’d gladly pay more for a team that’s attacking everything, all the time.
    You call it making excuses. I call it the reality. It's a matter of perspective I guess. The money you spend on season tickets is nothing to scoff at but there just isn't enough of you/us to support the program at the level you and CAS apparently expect the program to be at. That's evidenced by the fact that the home OOC schedule is so bad year after year and that they always leave games on the table (they consistently only schedule 29 or 30 regular season games when they could schedule 31 and they turn down 3rd tier postseason tournament invites because it costs money). It's either that or the MBB program is just a giant ponzi scheme because the athletic department doesn't really invest in it. I've shared my thoughts on this with Matt Larsen but who knows if it resonates or if his hands are just tied due to budget constraints.

Still despite that I think a reasonable expectation is that this team will consistently challenge for a league title. They weren't doing that in the latter half of '16/'17, the entire '17/'18, and the first two thirds of this season and that had me on the same boat you are in that something needed to change within the program and Richman was my scapegoat of choice. Now I'm ready to give him another shot because his team did turn it around and my expectation is that they continue the positive trend from the last 2 months into next season. If they do that they'll be back at the SL contender level they should be at or higher and that's all we can ask for or expect IMO.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Overall I believe attendance in college athletics is down. I will say part of why I believe BB attendance is down at say NDSU is to a small extent due to traveling BB. I am 43 and when I was younger in the late 80’s and 90’s there were like 3 to 4 traveling tournaments that we would play in compared to one a week for like 20 plus weeks now. These are people that like BB but have a harder time attending now cause of kids athletics. Otherwise we went to NDSU games. People that have kids now and are similar ages to me don’t go to games as much cause they are sucked into these traveling tournaments all the time. When compared to football where college football is way easier to attend once a week.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

NDSU's run was fools gold, but it was entertaining. 2 sub .500 wins in summit, then barely beating 2 very average teams in omaha/nccu.

had a fun 1st half vs Duke.

All this accomplished was to HOLD BACK NDSU BB for the next 3 years if Richman gets an extension. a Big Coaching Name and Fast paced style would put 5000-6000 in the SHAC nightly.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

In 5 years coaching, Coach Richman now has 2 NCAA tourney appearances which matches what each of Tim Miles and Saul Phillips has done in their 12 years of Division 1 tourney eligible coaching. Richman's 58.9% winning percentage bests both Miles (51.1%) and Phillips (57.3%) career Div 1 winning percentage.

As Matt Larsen said when dealing with Coach Walseth, "The scoreboard matters." Richman proved this year that the scoreboard matters a lot more in March than it does in December. For really the first time in Richman's coaching career, he will return a team that has extremely high expectations. I'd also add that there will be extremely high expectations on AD Larsen to put together a non-conference schedule that will give us some winnable games against major conference foes (think Notre Dame in 2014). My expectation for this team is that they a) win the Summit League conference tourney again and that b) they finish the season with a good enough record and a high enough RPI/NET ranking that we can get seeded into a position to at least have a shot at another NCAA win. I think it is entirely possible for next years team improve by 7-8 wins given the right schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by grizlandbisonfan View Post
    In 5 years coaching, Coach Richman now has 2 NCAA tourney appearances which matches what each of Tim Miles and Saul Phillips has done in their 12 years of Division 1 tourney eligible coaching. Richman's 58.9% winning percentage bests both Miles (51.1%) and Phillips (57.3%) career Div 1 winning percentage.

As Matt Larsen said when dealing with Coach Walseth, "The scoreboard matters." Richman proved this year that the scoreboard matters a lot more in March than it does in December. For really the first time in Richman's coaching career, he will return a team that has extremely high expectations. I'd also add that there will be extremely high expectations on AD Larsen to put together a non-conference schedule that will give us some winnable games against major conference foes (think Notre Dame in 2014). My expectation for this team is that they a) win the Summit League conference tourney again and that b) they finish the season with a good enough record and a high enough RPI/NET ranking that we can get seeded into a position to at least have a shot at another NCAA win. I think it is entirely possible for next years team improve by 7-8 wins given the right schedule.
    BS. Saul went to 2 NCAA tourneys while he was here and won a game too. You are comparing resumes from different places too. I wouldn't compare the Summit to the MAC or MWC and sure as hell not the B1G!

Dave should get a short extension and a modest raise, he needs to prove he can build a team capable of high level success next year. That is the true difference between him and Tim/Saul. When it comes to high level success there is a grand canyon size gap between Tim/Saul and Dave.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.