Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Montana state playoff game

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Montana state playoff game

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I’ve watched several Cats’ games this year. Yes, they do a lot of O shifts, but the plays they run out of them are predictable. We should be able to figure out tendencies out of whatever formations they end up in.

Moats of Anderson’s runs are to strong side, and his longer runs come from ruining angles with his speed, which he does have a lot of. He runs a bit oddly (head tucked in) but is faster than he appears. We will need a couple series to adjust angles. He doesn’t “finish” physically on purpose, but he does just because he is so big, fast and a great athlete. He’s not afraid of contact, but doesn’t go after it, likely because coaches have told him, and he knows, that they are short on QBs.

Some on Cats forum are saying Anderson will be the best player on the field, I say they haven’t seen and or are not giving enough credit to Easton Stick—who will be the best player on the field. Don’t thing they realize Stick is 6’2”, 215#s, and every bit of not more fast in pads as Anderson. Stick is also way more agile running the ball. We need to stretch Cats’ outside run game to sidelines (12th defender) by pushing angles.

Defensively I think the Cats are solid on DL, but not great depth. LBs are OK, but not MVFC-like. Their secondary is tested because of BSC play, but they haven’t seen nor dealt with a solid run game that provides for real play-action look. Also, they have not seen the Delta formation runs/play-action that we have, not the TE crew blocking and pass-catching we have.

And, can you say JCox spy/mirroring of Anderson?

We win going away, but first quarter will be one of sizing up the opponent a bit.

Typos are my own cuz posting from IPhone, but you get it. And where’s Burgandy to talk football?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There has been talk comparing Andersen to Streveler. The small amount of video I've seen reminds me of him, big, fastish with an awkward running style. What do you think since you've seen him more than most here, Streveler with more speed? We seem to have done a fairly good job of figuring out the run oriented QB, Streveler did little damage against us last year. The 'Cats seem like an average Big Sky team, they lost the games they should have lost and won the games they should have won. Nothing sticks out from their schedule except the wins to close the season, playing bottom half teams to win 3 in a row and make the playoffs.

Except Streveler could pass

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Are the bobcats planning on playing 4 quarters or at they quitting after 3 like the last time we met them in the playoffs?

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Are the bobcats planning on playing 4 quarters or at they quitting after 3 like the last time we met them in the playoffs?
    I suspect given their coach they won't quit.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Montana state was 1 play away from being 6-5 !

Yes Troy A looks good at QB , BUT. 6-5 in the big fluffy and beat incarnate word.

Messingham better come out aggressive vs his former team and step on them early
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

They run a 3-4 on defense and like bring different blitzes including safeties pretty regularly. The d line isn't particularly big or strong, seems like they try to shoot gaps mostly.

From what little I've watched they keep their passing game simple for the quarterback. It is one read then scramble.

Cats had issues with Word's defensive speed (which was above average, but not off the charts). If last week was an indication NDSU's speed on D will be too much for them.

Also, I was not impressed with the Oline. IMO they Needed the running backs as extra blockers to make it work.....not a winning strategy.
    QB is a tough kid, but he is not developed. He will not beat SU and he is not the best athlete on the field (he is good, but certainly not the best on the field).

Their kids are tough but are not nearly as physical as we are. Saturday is going to be a real lesson in 4qtr physical, mental football. I think it will be an eye-opener for them....what they think they are doing, but are not doing at the highest level

Bottom line MSU is a few years away, but trending in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Cats had issues with Word's defensive speed (which was above average, but not off the charts). If last week was an indication NDSU's speed on D will be too much for them.

Also, I was not impressed with the Oline. IMO they Needed the running backs as extra blockers to make it work.....not a winning strategy.
    QB is a tough kid, but he is not developed. He will not beat SU and he is not the best athlete on the field (he is good, but certainly not the best on the field).

Their kids are tough but are not nearly as physical as we are. Saturday is going to be a real lesson in 4qtr physical, mental football. I think it will be an eye-opener for them....what they think they are doing, but are not doing at the highest level

Bottom line MSU is a few years away, but trending in the right direction
    I agree with this assessment. We don't quite have the horses yet to beat a team like NDSU at their own game. We've won the 4th quarter in all of our wins, but haven't been able to do it consistently. However a sign of a mentally and physically strong team is that they get better as the year progresses and we certainly have. We are getting better.

The fact that we lost our 2 year starting QB after spring ball to academic issues, our starting MLB for the season in fall camp, one of our starting RBs from last year for most of the season (only returning RB with significant carries), a transfer RB/FB who had been playing well especially in the blocking game to a career ending injury part way through the season, converted a LB/RB hybrid to QB in summer who can't really throw (although he is getting a lot better), our starting slot WR partway through the year to a season ending injury, had a pro-style QB play well in a few OOC games then break his foot in practice when he was ready to take over for Andersen leaving only a true freshman to backup Andersen, the fact that we made the playoffs to me is a testament to the program Choate is building. Most teams have these kinds of things, to varying degrees, but only programs with a solid culture and depth can overcome them. No we aren't world beaters this year but I really think next year is going to be a pretty big step for the program.

Not counting guys out for the year, against UIW we were missing our starting blocking TE, both our starting corners, and both our DTs played very limited snaps. We were down about 5 of the starters that were crucial pieces to our November run. And we were still able to win by 21 points, albeit against a team who was also without their star QB. Our OL did struggle with their team speed and size initially but it became clear as the game wore on that we were the better conditioned team and ending up imposing our will by the 4th quarter.

But to circle back to your post, we are a team that is gutting out wins, finding ways to win ugly, and part if that is just being more physical and tougher than our opponents. We won't have that on our side on Saturday, and I think we are going to have a really hard time moving the ball, and a hard time stopping the NDSU run game.

Being the toughest team in the Big Fluffy is like being the tallest midget.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCat View Post
    I agree with this assessment. We don't quite have the horses yet to beat a team like NDSU at their own game. We've won the 4th quarter in all of our wins, but haven't been able to do it consistently. However a sign of a mentally and physically strong team is that they get better as the year progresses and we certainly have. We are getting better.

The fact that we lost our 2 year starting QB after spring ball to academic issues, our starting MLB for the season in fall camp, one of our starting RBs from last year for most of the season (only returning RB with significant carries), a transfer RB/FB who had been playing well especially in the blocking game to a career ending injury part way through the season, converted a LB/RB hybrid to QB in summer who can't really throw (although he is getting a lot better), our starting slot WR partway through the year to a season ending injury, had a pro-style QB play well in a few OOC games then break his foot in practice when he was ready to take over for Andersen leaving only a true freshman to backup Andersen, the fact that we made the playoffs to me is a testament to the program Choate is building. Most teams have these kinds of things, to varying degrees, but only programs with a solid culture and depth can overcome them. No we aren't world beaters this year but I really think next year is going to be a pretty big step for the program.

Not counting guys out for the year, against UIW we were missing our starting blocking TE, both our starting corners, and both our DTs played very limited snaps. We were down about 5 of the starters that were crucial pieces to our November run. And we were still able to win by 21 points, albeit against a team who was also without their star QB. Our OL did struggle with their team speed and size initially but it became clear as the game wore on that we were the better conditioned team and ending up imposing our will by the 4th quarter.

But to circle back to your post, we are a team that is gutting out wins, finding ways to win ugly, and part if that is just being more physical and tougher than our opponents. We won't have that on our side on Saturday, and I think we are going to have a really hard time moving the ball, and a hard time stopping the NDSU run game.
    You guys have depth issues
    bizun prevail after devastating injuries