Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Playoff thread

Default Re: 2018 Playoff thread

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    And last year we had a cakewalk to Frisco. Enjoy the competition!
    That's cause we got the #2 seed. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    If you haven't watched their game against SDSU... you're in for a real treat. They were ridiculously bad. I'd have to imagine they've improved throughout the season, otherwise the playoff field is even weaker then has been pointed out this year.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Ok, after listening to parts of The Insiders today I have to go on a rant on the ranters because it's starting to get embarrassing how some in our fan base seem to think the selection committee is out to get the Bison and that NDSU should be entitled to a red carpet stroll to Frisco.

One of the common themes I heard on The Insiders today was "you'd think being the #1 undisputed seed would give you an easier path to Frisco not the toughest". What I'd say to that is so damn hard about the Bison's path to Frisco??? Colgate? Some questioned whether they should even be seeded and pretty much all the polls had them right around the #8 spot that they were seeded at. JMU? Pretty much everyone would agree that they were the top unseeded team so isn't the "fair" thing to put them in the pod with the #8 seed? That's how a fully seeded tournament would've worked. SDSU? They wouldn't face them until the semifinals! There's only one game after that so quit acting like they're trying to put the xDSUs together because they're not. Both Weber and EWU deserved to be seeded in front of SDSU and Kennesaw was a toss up but whether SDSU was #4 or #5 they'd still be seeing NDSU in the semis if both made that far. SDSU is exactly where they should be.

Someone even asked if there's "recourse" that can be taken about the "clearly incorrect" bracketing done by the committee so we can see someone punished. Quit fucking complaining about NDSU's draw! If anyone should be complaining it's Colgate, JMU, and SDSU because they have to play NDSU in the Fargodome just to get to Frisco. The draw is about as reasonable as it can get for NDSU so stop acting like we should be entitled to a cake walk to Frisco (which quite is honestly is the draw they got last year). They're going to have to beat good teams in the playoffs and they're perfectly capable of doing that. In fact, there's not an FCS team out there that can stay on the field with them if they play the way they're capable of playing so it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what their draw is.

/rant
    And I would think that the Big Sky teams would have more to complain about. 3 seeds all on the same side of the bracket? Not going to get an all big sky championship that way.
    Hail Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well, at least NDSU's coach wasn't crying about it like JMU's.

When even the selection show guys are saying how unbalanced the bracket was, you know something is off. I was like "Are you freaking kidding me?" after every team they unveiled on the NDSU bracket after Montana State.

If they had just swap JMU/Delaware with somebody on the Big Sky side other than Lamar/UNI and there'd be a lot less complaining.
    The thing is JMU wasn't even that good this year. Yeah, I get that they're dangerous if they can put it together but so are a bunch of teams. The highest you could've plausibly seeded them was 7th IMO. So having them unseeded isn't that big of travesty and, like I said, they podded them with the #8 seed which is something they didn't need to do but if they had seeded to #9 this bracket would look the exact same as it does now.

As far as the rest of teams on NDSU's side I really don't see what's so alarming about it. After JMU the best unseeded teams were probably Nicholls, Wofford, and Jacksonville St. Two of those are on the other side of the bracket (Wofford being the one that isn't). I really don't think Kennesaw is a strong #4 seed and that's the next highest seed on NDSU's side. I just don't see any massive difference from the top side to the bottom side of the bracket. I think the people criticizing the selection committee are just waaaaay overvaluing how good JMU was this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well, at least NDSU's coach wasn't crying about it like JMU's.

When even the selection show guys are saying how unbalanced the bracket was, you know something is off. I was like "Are you freaking kidding me?" after every team they unveiled on the NDSU bracket after Montana State.

If they had just swap JMU/Delaware with somebody on the Big Sky side other than Lamar/UNI and there'd be a lot less complaining.

Yep. But alas the "lets hide behind the saving money rationalization" in the first round while forcing teams to then bid and then pay us (NCAA) a guaranteed amount of $$$ to host the game in said money saving round forced the committee's hand in many ways and not much else they could do

Is what it is. Beat them all and leave no doubt they are better than the rest

The thing is JMU wasn't even that good this year. Yeah, I get that they're dangerous if they can put it together but so are a bunch of teams. The highest you could've plausibly seeded them was 7th IMO. So having them unseeded isn't that big of travesty and, like I said, they podded them with the #8 seed which is something they didn't need to do but if they had seeded to #9 this bracket would look the exact same as it does now.

As far as the rest of teams on NDSU's side I really don't see what's so alarming about it. After JMU the best unseeded teams were probably Nicholls, Wofford, and Jacksonville St. Two of those are on the other side of the bracket (Wofford being the one that isn't). I really don't think Kennesaw is a strong #4 seed and that's the next highest seed on NDSU's side. I just don't see any massive difference from the top side to the bottom side of the bracket. I think the people criticizing the selection committee are just waaaaay overvaluing how good JMU was this year.
    Indiana State snub is a legit gripe.
    Southland getting same # as MVFC is nuts (see also Tree screw job)
    Odd number of seeds between Big Fluffy and CAA is odd.
    For the Bison fans funneling the two most obvious matchup concerns in JMU and SDSU to the FargoDome seems unfair when the Bison are the #1 seed. It can all be explained rationally through the seeding process, but the optics don't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    And I would think that the Big Sky teams would have more to complain about. 3 seeds all on the same side of the bracket? Not going to get an all big sky championship that way.
    I don't think that seeding is a negotiated thing. Sounds like the committee ranks the teams and they add up the results and use that for seeding. That's what the committee rep meant by "keeping the seeds pure" in his Bison1660 interview.

So it sucks that the Big Sky has 3 seeded teams on the same side of the bracket, but it's not something that was engineered to be that way. Heck, if I were a Big Sky member, I'd be more concerned that they have The Big Sky Destroyer (San Diego) on their side of the bracket.

The Bison are going to bitch slap anyone in the way this year. Everyone else is playing for second anyway. Would like to see EWU or Weber in Frisco. GO BISON!

The thing is JMU wasn't even that good this year.
    Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass. Please don't come back to bite us in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Indiana State snub is a legit gripe.
    No, no it's not really. Maybe when looked at in the context of who got in from some of the weaker conferences, but that happens every year. That's the nature of they way the playoffs and selection process is set up. One of ISUb's wins was a D2 this year. They lost convincingly to UNI, who got in ahead of them.