Page 41 of 73 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Playoff thread

Default Re: 2018 Playoff thread

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I’m OK with their 6 in a vacuum, but not in a world where Southland and MVFC both get 3. As a Sagarin purist I would have distributed the at large bids MVFC 6, CAA 5, Big Sky 2, Southern 1 (they picked the wrong Southern team BTW). IW, ETSU, and Lamar were terrible selections.
    I don't care what the computer models say you're never going to get a 5 D1 win MVFC team into the field... much less multiple of them. Teams have to win not just play competitively with a tough schedule and teams like ISUr, WIU, and YSU didn't do that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    It's not how many they got in the playoffs that bothers me that much, but how much they credit they get for being THE conference of the FCS. I'm not sure when they jumped ahead of the MVFC, but even writers give them credit was being the best. As far as I'm concern, they're a decent FCS conference that has had one team do pretty good the past two years. That's it, nothing more.
    I don't necessarily buy that there's a massive sentiment out there that the CAA is better than the MVFC this year. I think most educated FCS followers would still put the MVFC on top and, at best for the CAA, have them level with the MVFC. The difference between the two this year was there were not any NDSU/SDSU types in the CAA hogging all the wins. It was more like a bunch of UNIs so they spread the wins out amongst each other. On top of that they have 2 more teams than the MVFC so they each miss 3 different teams on the conference schedule which allows for an even wider distribution of wins. For instance Maine, which won the CAA autobid as the only team to only have one conference loss, was the only team in the conference who missed 3 of the top 6 teams (they didn't play JMU, Delaware, or Stony Brook). Hmmm, I wonder how they got that autobid/seed? I hate unbalanced conference schedules and the MVFC is getting worse with everyone missing 2 teams on the conference schedule when UND joins. Indiana St benefited from not playing NDSU this year... what happens if UND was in the conference this year and they had missed both NDSU and SDSU? I don't think the committee takes the unbalanced schedules into account enough when they build the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    You have to give them credit, take NDSU out of the MVFC equation and the CAA has had more success in the playoffs. Richmond, UNH, JMU, Towson and Villanova have all done well over the last decade.....just not against NDSU. It really was a crime we got three teams and they got 6(!). That won't happen next year, I hope. But the MVFC, other than NDSU, needs to perform better in the playoffs. Lookin at you UNI.
    The MVFC without NDSU is actually right on par with any other conference out there in the last 5 years (starting in 2014). Since then, even without NDSU, they've have 2 schools make the finals (Illinois St and YSU) which is more than the CAA (only JMU). They've had 3 schools make the semis (Illinois St, YSU, and SDSU) which is as many as the CAA (JMU, UNH, and Richmond). They've had 4 schools make the quarters (Illinois St, YSU, SDSU, and UNI) which is again as many as the CAA (JMU, UNH, Richmond, and Nova). They've had 7 schools win at least on playoff game in that span (Illinois St, YSU, SDSU, UNI, USD, WIU, Indiana St) while the CAA has only had 6 (JMU, UNH, Richmond, Nova, Stony Brook, William & Mary). That's all without NDSU. Of course you'd have to wonder if it wouldn't be for all the losses to NDSU how many more MVFC would've made the playoffs in that stretch? But add in the Bison and the MVFC blows away the CAA in terms of playoff success.

I don't necessarily buy that there's a massive sentiment out there that the CAA is better than the MVFC this year. I think most educated FCS followers would still put the MVFC on top and, at best for the CAA, have them level with the MVFC. The difference between the two this year was there were not any NDSU/SDSU types in the CAA hogging all the wins. It was more like a bunch of UNIs so they spread the wins out amongst each other. On top of that they have 2 more teams than the MVFC so they each miss 3 different teams on the conference schedule which allows for an even wider distribution of wins. For instance Maine, which won the CAA autobid as the only team to only have one conference loss, was the only team in the conference who missed 3 of the top 6 teams (they didn't play JMU, Delaware, or Stony Brook). Hmmm, I wonder how they got that autobid/seed? I hate unbalanced conference schedules and the MVFC is getting worse with everyone missing 2 teams on the conference schedule when UND joins. Indiana St benefited from not playing NDSU this year... what happens if UND was in the conference this year and they had missed both NDSU and SDSU? I don't think the committee takes the unbalanced schedules into account enough when they build the bracket.

I think I hear it too much from watching games involving CAA teams. Announcers won't stop talking about the difficulty of the conference and its "prestige." Pretty much each CAA game I watched this year wasn't much better the Delaware-JMU game this past weekend. The only decent game I remember was the Elon-JMU game. Games involving Delaware always seem like a frustrating mess, except when they played NDSU.

The MVFC without NDSU is actually right on par with any other conference out there in the last 5 years (starting in 2014). Since then, even without NDSU, they've have 2 schools make the finals (Illinois St and YSU) which is more than the CAA (only JMU). They've had 3 schools make the semis (Illinois St, YSU, and SDSU) which is as many as the CAA (JMU, UNH, and Richmond). They've had 4 schools make the quarters (Illinois St, YSU, SDSU, and UNI) which is again as many as the CAA (JMU, UNH, Richmond, and Nova). They've had 7 schools win at least on playoff game in that span (Illinois St, YSU, SDSU, UNI, USD, WIU, Indiana St) while the CAA has only had 6 (JMU, UNH, Richmond, Nova, Stony Brook, William & Mary). That's all without NDSU. Of course you'd have to wonder if it wouldn't be for all the losses to NDSU how many more MVFC would've made the playoffs in that stretch? But add in the Bison and the MVFC blows away the CAA in terms of playoff success.

I was just going to post something very similar to this, except not as detailed - well done. The only thing I could add is how many other teams did NDSU prevent from winning it all besides Illinois State? Perhaps UNI and SDSU?
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I think I hear it too much from watching games involving CAA teams. Announcers won't stop talking about the difficulty of the conference and its "prestige." Pretty much each CAA game I watched this year wasn't much better the Delaware-JMU game this past weekend. The only decent game I remember was the Elon-JMU game. Games involving Delaware always seem like a frustrating mess, except when they played NDSU.
    Yeah, it seems like announcers are always obligated somehow to pay lip service to the teams playing in the game they're calling. It's almost guaranteed that towards the end of the game where the winner matches up with NDSU next they say something like "Look, I know NDSU is great and all but this XXXXXX team has a real good chance to shock the world and pull the upset next week". Heck, sometimes they've even flat out predicted the upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, it seems like announcers are always obligated somehow to pay lip service to the teams playing in the game they're calling. It's almost guaranteed that towards the end of the game where the winner matches up with NDSU next they say something like "Look, I know NDSU is great and all but this XXXXXX team has a real good chance to shock the world and pull the upset next week". Heck, sometimes they've even flat out predicted the upset.
    * see every NDSU vs SHSU game
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Bruce Feldman is reporting Mike Houston is taking the Charlotte job...

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Oh shit! LOL!
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    oh shit! Lol!
    lolololololol
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    Youre fucking with me? The fuck is in Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/...63603489857536

Not kidding

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    This is really puzzling. Last year they paid their HC 256k
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯