Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NDSU and the rankings in FCS

Default Re: NDSU and the rankings in FCS

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Since that ain't gonna happen, what's your second choice?
    My guess - "Bring on the Competition" since I have a feeling this year's bracket is going to be heavily-sided with the Championship Game being a massacre.
    Hail the BISON!!!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    My guess - "Bring on the Competition" since I have a feeling this year's bracket is going to be heavily-sided with the Championship Game being a massacre.
    The problem from my view is the drop off in caliber of teams this year. Taking the 24 team bracket, there are about 18 teams that can play each other, have a good game and everyone is happy, when those teams run into #'s 3-6...it is not pretty. If they run into 1 or 2, it looks like an Alabama non-conference game. Not sure who the #2 is, but there are a few teams for that bill...I think it is a debate between the bunnies and JMU. Kennesaw is going to be there if they can keep their program pushing on. I think discounting JMU is a huge mistake, I don't want them in the Bison half of the bracket, home game or not...

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    The problem from my view is the drop off in caliber of teams this year. Taking the 24 team bracket, there are about 18 teams that can play each other, have a good game and everyone is happy, when those teams run into #'s 3-6...it is not pretty. If they run into 1 or 2, it looks like an Alabama non-conference game. Not sure who the #2 is, but there are a few teams for that bill...I think it is a debate between the bunnies and JMU. Kennesaw is going to be there if they can keep their program pushing on. I think discounting JMU is a huge mistake, I don't want them in the Bison half of the bracket, home game or not...
    I don't think anyone is discounting JMU but they have been a lot more sizzle than steak in the Mike Houston era
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Lopsided playoff games are nothing new.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Lopsided playoff games are nothing new.
    Yeah, this is a reflection of the expansion of the playoff field. Sure it's fun for a PFL or a MEAC team to get that first round win but then they get properly housed when they get into the round of 16 that they wouldn't have gotten into before.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Yeah, this is a reflection of the expansion of the playoff field. Sure it's fun for a PFL or a MEAC team to get that first round win but then they get properly housed when they get into the round of 16 that they wouldn't have gotten into before.
    Perhaps if the committee made better at large selections there would be more interesting games?

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Since that ain't gonna happen, what's your second choice?
    Coming here and venting my spleen about how terrible the selection committee is.

I don't think anyone is discounting JMU but they have been a lot more sizzle than steak in the Mike Houston era
    They were ONE play away from beating the Bison last year. Maybe you should watch the 4th quarter of last years title game again.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Perhaps if the committee made better at large selections there would be more interesting games?
    Not to say the committee can't do a better job, but this is objectively pretty difficult, because by whatever metric you use, there are going to be teams that have amazing metrics, but can't actually back that up on the field against stiff competition.

Is it wins? Well, winning in the Southland is a lot different then winning in the MVFC or the CAA.
    Strength of Schedule? There are probably 100+ FBS teams that would lose on any given Saturday to NDSU. But maybe only 50-75 that would be truely threatened by the rest of the top ten in FCS.
    Defensive, or Offensive stats?
    A computerized system similar to Sagarin? Though those also have their issues.

It sure as hell ain't easy. And, throw in the fact that any given Saturday a team that *should* be in the NC can have a bad day, lose a few key players to injury or simply run into a scheme that they can't overcome within the time alotted to the game. The Committee could get it perfect... and at some point you'd still have a blow out 'uninteresting' game because a team that shouldn't have gotten to say, the field of sixteen or the field of 8 does.

But that's tournaments.

I don't think the expanded field leads to a more lopsided bracket. If anything it has led to a less lopsided bracket. With a 16 team field they only seeded the top 4 so all you were guaranteed to get was the #1 and #4 on the top side of the bracket and the #2 and #3 on the bottom side. You could have the 4 best unseeded teams in that format all on one side or the other.

I've never understood the disdain for the 24 team field over say a 16 team field. Since they've gone to the 20 team field in 2010 (when 5 teams were seeded) the lowest seed to win the tournament was EWU in 2010 as the #5. Only 2 of the 16 teams who've played in the championship game since then, SHSU in 2012 (which was a 20 team/5 seed field - they would've likely been seeded if they went to 8 seeds) and YSU in 2016, have been unseeded. The top 8 are where the title contenders are at and a 24 team field is actually better for those teams in that they know, amongst those 8, they will be balanced with 4 on each half of the bracket and they all get byes so they can avoid the punchless crowds of Thanksgiving weekend.

Is it really that big of a deal to let a few extra mediocre teams into the field to play on Thanksgiving weekend? At least it filters out some of the chaff before you get into the matchups with the seeded teams and for some teams, as crazy as it may sound to us, just making the playoffs is a big deal so why not throw them a participation ribbon when they have a good season by their standards.

In a perfect world we would get the entire field seeded but I like the 24 team/8 seed field over the 16 team/4 seed field. I also greatly prefer the break between the semis and the title game whereas with the 16 team format when everything was done before Christmas one of the teams playing in the title game would only have 6 days between their semi and the championship. Can you imagine the ticket/travel disaster for us NDSU fans if that was the case now?