Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NDSU and the rankings in FCS

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU and the rankings in FCS

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think the expanded field leads to a more lopsided bracket. If anything it has led to a less lopsided bracket. With a 16 team field they only seeded the top 4 so all you were guaranteed to get was the #1 and #4 on the top side of the bracket and the #2 and #3 on the bottom side. You could have the 4 best unseeded teams in that format all on one side or the other.

I've never understood the disdain for the 24 team field over say a 16 team field. Since they've gone to the 20 team field in 2010 (when 5 teams were seeded) the lowest seed to win the tournament was EWU in 2010 as the #5. Only 2 of the 16 teams who've played in the championship game since then, SHSU in 2012 (which was a 20 team/5 seed field - they would've likely been seeded if they went to 8 seeds) and YSU in 2016, have been unseeded. The top 8 are where the title contenders are at and a 24 team field is actually better for those teams in that they know, amongst those 8, they will be balanced with 4 on each half of the bracket and they all get byes so they can avoid the punchless crowds of Thanksgiving weekend.

Is it really that big of a deal to let a few extra mediocre teams into the field to play on Thanksgiving weekend? At least it filters out some of the chaff before you get into the matchups with the seeded teams and for some teams, as crazy as it may sound to us, just making the playoffs is a big deal so why not throw them a participation ribbon when they have a good season by their standards.

In a perfect world we would get the entire field seeded but I like the 24 team/8 seed field over the 16 team/4 seed field. I also greatly prefer the break between the semis and the title game whereas with the 16 team format when everything was done before Christmas one of the teams playing in the title game would only have 6 days between their semi and the championship. Can you imagine the ticket/travel disaster for us NDSU fans if that was the case now?
    I thought Sam Houston was the #2 seed in the 2012 season. They were the #1 in 2011. Wasn’t Towson St unseeded in the 2013 tournament when we played them in the final? I must be getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    I thought Sam Houston was the #2 seed in the 2012 season. They were the #1 in 2011. Wasn’t Towson St unseeded in the 2013 tournament when we played them in the final? I must be getting old.
    They were a 7th seed. They went into Charleston, Ill to play Jimmy Garoppolo and the #2 EIU Panthers. It snowed like crazy and Terrance West seemed to be the only person who brought cleats while everyone else was on ice skates. Perfect storm, if you will, for Towson to pull out the upset
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    SHSU was unseeded in 2012. EWU was the #2 that year. SHSU was ranked pretty highly though (top 5ish I believe) in the polls in 2012 so they were one of the best unseeded teams. In 2013 Towson was the #7 seed so close to being unseeded but they beat #2 Eastern Illinois and #3 EWU in consecutive weeks so they definitely earned it. I'm pretty sure earlier in 2013 they were ranked in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I don't think the expanded field leads to a more lopsided bracket. If anything it has led to a less lopsided bracket. With a 16 team field they only seeded the top 4 so all you were guaranteed to get was the #1 and #4 on the top side of the bracket and the #2 and #3 on the bottom side. You could have the 4 best unseeded teams in that format all on one side or the other.

I've never understood the disdain for the 24 team field over say a 16 team field. Since they've gone to the 20 team field in 2010 (when 5 teams were seeded) the lowest seed to win the tournament was EWU in 2010 as the #5. Only 2 of the 16 teams who've played in the championship game since then, SHSU in 2012 (which was a 20 team/5 seed field - they would've likely been seeded if they went to 8 seeds) and YSU in 2016, have been unseeded. The top 8 are where the title contenders are at and a 24 team field is actually better for those teams in that they know, amongst those 8, they will be balanced with 4 on each half of the bracket and they all get byes so they can avoid the punchless crowds of Thanksgiving weekend.

Is it really that big of a deal to let a few extra mediocre teams into the field to play on Thanksgiving weekend? At least it filters out some of the chaff before you get into the matchups with the seeded teams and for some teams, as crazy as it may sound to us, just making the playoffs is a big deal so why not throw them a participation ribbon when they have a good season by their standards.

In a perfect world we would get the entire field seeded but I like the 24 team/8 seed field over the 16 team/4 seed field. I also greatly prefer the break between the semis and the title game whereas with the 16 team format when everything was done before Christmas one of the teams playing in the title game would only have 6 days between their semi and the championship. Can you imagine the ticket/travel disaster for us NDSU fans if that was the case now?
    The 24-Team Bracket helps the eight seeded teams more than it hurts. It makes 16 non-seeded teams play an extra week without a break. The winners of that weekend then have to travel to the seeded teams' home. That's a lot of adversity to overcome and a team needs to be on fire to have a chance if they are not a Top-Eight team in the bracket.

In regards to seeding and match-ups, I believe the committee has done a pretty good job the last two years after the 2015 fiasco when they had all five MVFC on the same side of the bracket probably due to regionalization and to prevent another all-MVFC National Championship Game.
    Last edited by Christopher Moen; 11-14-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Perhaps if the committee made better at large selections there would be more interesting games?
    Just because a 5-6 MVFC or CAA is better than a 7-4 Socon or Southland team doesn't mean it should get an at large bid over said 7-4 team IMO. You still need to earn it with wins, regardless of how "good" your loses are.
    Hail Hydra.

Coming here and venting my spleen about how terrible the selection committee is.
    That's a solid backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Just because a 5-6 MVFC or CAA is better than a 7-4 Socon or Southland team doesn't mean it should get an at large bid over said 7-4 team IMO. You still need to earn it with wins, regardless of how "good" your loses are.
    I thought that’s what the conference auto-bids were for. Either way aren’t you rewarding a team that has no or few quality wins (to borrow the language of the eye ball test). If so then why not “evaluate” quality losses?

Or, you know, instead of putting a damp finger in the air we could actually decide what we want to reward, set the ground rules in advance, and then do what we said we were going to do.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

GSUsTALON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    It matters. A team should be rewarded for it's hard work and tenacity. Especially when it comes to playoffs.

You fans of FBS teams wouldn't understand. In a true playoff system, a team is rewarded for it's regular season record by earning a ranking. A high ranking means you play a much lower ranked team to begin the playoffs.

It's also pretty cool to have your team hosting playoff games at the Fabulous Fargodome... (dreams of tailgates)
    Let me explain my rankings post.

What I was trying to point out is that NDSU will be #1 at the end of the season and win there 7th NC no matter who they play.

You're right, the other teams that make the playoffs deserve it. They (EARNED) there spot in the Playoffs!
    Georgia Southern Spread Option Football - Out weighed but seldom out played! Of course, GSU doesn’t run the Spread anymore – but still!

If I want your opinion I’ll tell you what it should be! wwwGSUFANS.com (TALON TALK) Go Bison

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I thought that’s what the conference auto-bids were for. Either way aren’t you rewarding a team that has no or few quality wins (to borrow the language of the eye ball test). If so then why not “evaluate” quality losses?

Or, you know, instead of putting a damp finger in the air we could actually decide what we want to reward, set the ground rules in advance, and then do what we said we were going to do.
    I completely agree. There are plenty of examples out there where they have not taken the top at large teams even at 7-4 and rewarded a 9-2 season against nobody. This really isn't all that different than knowing upfront due to lack of a quality schedule that the Summit is a one bid league. Put the requirements out there and let's see who meets them. The arbitrary rule of getting to 7 wins is now gone, so let people know what those rules might be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    They were a 7th seed. They went into Charleston, Ill to play Jimmy Garoppolo and the #2 EIU Panthers. It snowed like crazy and Terrance West seemed to be the only person who brought cleats while everyone else was on ice skates. Perfect storm, if you will, for Towson to pull out the upset

Terrance West was an absolute beast. Took a lot of Bison to bring that boy down.