Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Tournaments

Default Re: Open Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    Does anyone know why Franek isn't wrestling in opens? Also Coach Kish seems to have a goal of destroying the Bison Open. I remember Chris Taylor wrestling at the Bison Open. I believe they hit over 500 entries some years. Also the Bison Open was on Flows schedule a week ago and then it was off. I was looking forward to that coverage.
    Jim Duschen was a teammate of Chris at Iowas State and was a grad assist at NDSU at the time so he talked Chris in to coming to Fargo for the Bison Open. That had to be 72-73 season.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Trying to watch this Roadrunner open is painful. The guys over on Mat 1 just cannot get the Trackwrestling software figured out. Sutton to wait about 10 minutes for them to get something straightened out, and when he finally got re-started, the other guy was injured after about two seconds.

I'm also not sure what to think about my browser going to some page that "saved" me from risking my personal data while mid-stream.

So far Fleetwood won at 25 by injury default but was ahead 14 to 1 in the second period. At 33 Sykora won 12 to 1 to take 1st. At 41 Sutten won 10 to 2 to take the championship. Fogerty must have wrestled poorly because he got beat 8 to 1 in the finals. He got beat by a highly rated just out of high school New Jersey wrestler. If I remember right Colunga took 4th at 33. Van Mannen took 4th at 49. De La Riva took 6th at 74 and Mc Nutt took 3rd at 84. Stibral took 5th at HWT. Eaton took 1 st with a forfeit in the finals. Last but not least Metz won at HWT 9 to 3.
    Last edited by harleycowboy; 11-19-2018 at 01:26 AM.

I didn't think Fogarty wrestled that poorly, but Griffith looked pretty sharp. He was a top 20 overall recruit in a pretty good class.

I really don't like how the 6 match limits comes into play in these one day tournaments. It wasn't as bad as Reno last year, but it cost us a couple of times. Van Maanen's only loss was to high school senior Jaden Abas. Abas had a couple of good takedowns, but stalled the rest of the match, to the tune of giving up three stalling points. Trackwrestling shows that Van Maanen got pinned, but that was just another example of guys not able to run the scoring system. I think the final was either 6-4 or 6-5. Our Jaden was well on the way to winning in the consi-semis before the Utah Valley kid was DQ'ed. The guy tried a head butt and Coach G. was all over it. We would've had a re-match with Abas, but the 6-match limit kicked in.

Lorenzo de la Riva had the top seed at 174, but he drew some un-attached Iranian in the first round who would go on to win the tournament. He was out of matches by the time he got to the consi-semis. It kind of stinks to waste those matches in the early rounds and then have to stop just when the competition starts to pick up.

All-in-all, I would say we had a pretty good day. Our guys that won titles all looked sharp. I wish we could have seen Metz finish against Stanford in the semis. Unfortunately, they crashed into the table and the other guy got hurt.

De La Riva, Knutson, Pottinger, and Stibral wrestled in the Last Chance Open at Iowa State yesterday. There were actually several quality wrestlers present as they tried to get more matches to meet NCAA qualifying standards.

Knutson took first at 157. Wyatt Sheets of Oklahoma State wrestled one match and the defaulted out. He now has 17 D1 matches and can earn an AQ for the B12.
    De La Riva took first at 174.
    Pottinger took 6th at 184.
    Stibral took 4th at HWT. Carter Isley should have 17 matches against D1 competition, but I doubt he earns an AQ spot for the B12.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Wyatt Sheets of Oklahoma State wrestled one match and the defaulted out. He now has 17 D1 matches and can earn an AQ for the B12.
    I could be missing something, but I don't see how Sheets can earn an AQ. His coaches panel is good enough, but his winning percentage isn't, and I have my doubts about his RPI. He has to exceed the threshold levels in two out of the three to qualify for a spot. I think Weber, on the other hand, only needs to move up a spot or two in the coaches panel to get one. He won't have enough matches for RPI, but his winning percentage is very good. I believe you only need 8 matches for the winning percentage.