Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Tournaments

Default Open Tournaments

NDSU redshirts and backups got their seasons rolling today with the Jimmie Open in Jamestown. We were the only D1 squad in attendance, and Mary was likely the stiffest competition. With that said, the guys did well, especially some of the youngsters.

Results:
    133- Redshirting Sophomore McGwire Midkiff had a good day going 4-0 and knocked off Tate Barnhardt in the finals. Barnhardt was the NSIC wrestler of the year last year and is ranked #9 in D2 this year. Good win.
    141- rFr Sawyer Degen went 3-1 with a loss to Mary's Hunter Eckert. I was expecting a championship from him, but it wasn't to be. tFr Dylan Droegenmuller went 3-1, took third, and also lost to Eckert. He crushed Mason Schultz, MSUMs starter, for third. Solid debut. tFr Sam Stuhl lost to Schultz, but rattled off 4 wins in a row to take fifth.
    149- rJr Sam Gilseth went 3-3 and took 6th.
    165- tFr Jimmy Noel had a solid debut, going 4-0 and winning the title. He beat tFr Austin Brenner 7-6 for the title.
    174- rFr Jesse Shearer dominated, going 4-0 with all bonus point wins to win the title. He knocked off tFr Reed Williams for the title. Williams had two tech falls en route to the finals, which is a solid start.
    184- rSo Michael Otomo won the title at 184, knocking off two NDSU tFr in the process. tFr TJ Pottinger (2nd) and tFr Noah Cressell (3rd) each lost to Otomo.
    197- rSo Cole Witzig went 3-0 and won the title.
    HWT- rJr Dan Stibral went 4-0 en route to the title at HWT.

All in all, really solid start. It is always encouraging to see redshirts and backups beat quality D2 starters.

Default Re: Open Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    NDSU redshirts and backups got their seasons rolling today with the Jimmie Open in Jamestown. We were the only D1 squad in attendance, and Mary was likely the stiffest competition. With that said, the guys did well, especially some of the youngsters.

Results:
    133- Redshirting Sophomore McGwire Midkiff had a good day going 4-0 and knocked off Tate Barnhardt in the finals. Barnhardt was the NSIC wrestler of the year last year and is ranked #9 in D2 this year. Good win.
    141- rFr Sawyer Degen went 3-1 with a loss to Mary's Hunter Eckert. I was expecting a championship from him, but it wasn't to be. tFr Dylan Droegenmuller went 3-1, took third, and also lost to Eckert. He crushed Mason Schultz, MSUMs starter, for third. Solid debut. tFr Sam Stuhl lost to Schultz, but rattled off 4 wins in a row to take fifth.
    149- rJr Sam Gilseth went 3-3 and took 6th.
    165- tFr Jimmy Noel had a solid debut, going 4-0 and winning the title. He beat tFr Austin Brenner 7-6 for the title.
    174- rFr Jesse Shearer dominated, going 4-0 with all bonus point wins to win the title. He knocked off tFr Reed Williams for the title. Williams had two tech falls en route to the finals, which is a solid start.
    184- rSo Michael Otomo won the title at 184, knocking off two NDSU tFr in the process. tFr TJ Pottinger (2nd) and tFr Noah Cressell (3rd) each lost to Otomo.
    197- rSo Cole Witzig went 3-0 and won the title.
    HWT- rJr Dan Stibral went 4-0 en route to the title at HWT.

All in all, really solid start. It is always encouraging to see redshirts and backups beat quality D2 starters.
    Any specific reason why NDSU doesn't send their redshirts and/or others down to Brookings to compete in the Dak Open? It would seem the competition would be better, with SDSU, U of MN, and Nebraska in the field alongside a number of other D2 and lower level teams like they see in Jamestown.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

They normally do, but this year the Jimmie made more sense. Team had a dual on Sunday (same as the Dak) and attending the Jimmie allowed them to be present for that. Jimmie Open is also a little shorter drive.

Say Metz or Sutton rolled an ankle in warmups. If they did and the backups were at the Dak instead of the Jimmie, they don't have a replacement to step in.

They normally do, but this year the Jimmie made more sense. Team had a dual on Sunday (same as the Dak) and attending the Jimmie allowed them to be present for that. Jimmie Open is also a little shorter drive.

Say Metz or Sutton rolled an ankle in warmups. If they did and the backups were at the Dak instead of the Jimmie, they don't have a replacement to step in.
    Makes sense...thanks for the response. I had thought NDSU had been at the Dak in the past, so was surprised not to see them this year.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Default Open Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Makes sense...thanks for the response. I had thought NDSU had been at the Dak in the past, so was surprised not to see them this year.
    Won that thing way back in 1999.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bison Open is today, but we won't see any of the NDSU starters. Kind of disappointing, especially with Arizona State bringing their starters.

Bianchi and Midkiff are probably the best hopes NDSU has at getting a champion.

Bison Open is today, but we won't see any of the NDSU starters. Kind of disappointing, especially with Arizona State bringing their starters.

Bianchi and Midkiff are probably the best hopes NDSU has at getting a champion.
    Does anyone know why Franek isn't wrestling in opens? Also Coach Kish seems to have a goal of destroying the Bison Open. I remember Chris Taylor wrestling at the Bison Open. I believe they hit over 500 entries some years. Also the Bison Open was on Flows schedule a week ago and then it was off. I was looking forward to that coverage.
    Last edited by harleycowboy; 11-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    Does anyone know why Franek isn't wrestling in opens? Also Coach Kish seems to have a goal of destroying the Bison Open. I remember Chris Taylor wrestling at the Bison Open. I believe they hit over 500 entries some years. Also the Bison Open was on Flows schedule a week ago and then it was off. I was looking forward to that coverage.
    I agree. I used to look forward to the Bison Open, now it's just a JV tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by harleycowboy View Post
    Franek is out with a minor injury. He should be back within a month or so.

Thoughts on some NDSU guys yesterday:
    125- Bianchi still has some troubles getting away on bottom and it cost him vs McKee. He also got in very deep on several shots, yet McKee was able to score. Hopefully his injury isn't severe and I'm glad he MFF out, as there was no point in risking hurting himself more.
    133- I thought Midkiff would win this weight, but he fell to the ASU kid. He still looks like a really solid wrestler and I hope he wrestles in a ton of opens this year. Colunga had some really nice shots throughout the day.
    141- Stuhl and Degen looked solid at different times. Stuhl looked solid on his feet throughout the day, while Degen was strong on top. Degen needs to be able to get the match to the mat though. Both guys remain intriguing and their development remains worth tracking.
    165- Austin Brenner had a really nice win over SDSU redshirt Kenny O'Neil. Jimmy Noel looked equally solid on the day.
    174- Shearer was the best of the bunch at 174. He actually didn't wrestle great in the semifinals, but was still able to win. For whatever reason, he just didn't seem to open up in that one.
    184- Otomo looked alright at 184, and provides for some decent depth at 184/197. TJ Pottinger had a very impressive day and took third. I didn't watch all of his matches, but from what I saw, he was usually in very good position and didn't make many mistakes. Noah Cressell took sixth...but their is a lot to dream with here. He does so much well, he just doesn't have any offense right now. He is in good position, controls the ties, has good defense from neutral, rides tough, is active on bottom...he just can't score consistently from neutral. Hopefully he can develop an attack that works this year, because if he does, he can be very good.
    HWT- I thought Dan wrestled relatively well against Steveson. There were times throughout the day where he struggled to get on his offense, but he was solid overall.