Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: YSU Post Game Thoughts

Default Re: YSU Post Game Thoughts

Once again a poor performance by Special Teams. If this team gets upset in the playoffs special teams will be a big part of it. This has been a common theme for a couple years now. How can a team with this level of talent be so avg. to poor on special teams the past couple years? God forbid this staff ever calls for a fake punt, on-side kick, something to change the momentum of a game. A great defense covers a lot of special teams short-comings.

I do think its why teams are able to hang with NDSU at times that seem head scratching. A third phase to this team would move them from really good to GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Once again a poor performance by Special Teams. If this team gets upset in the playoffs special teams will be a big part of it. This has been a common theme for a couple years now. How can a team with this level of talent be so avg. to poor on special teams the past couple years? God forbid this staff ever calls for a fake punt, on-side kick, something to change the momentum of a game. A great defense covers a lot of special teams short-comings.

I do think its why teams are able to hang with NDSU at times that seem head scratching. A third phase to this team would move them from really good to GREAT!
    Who is coaching special teams this year? It was Austin until he left.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we have won a billion games in a row and you want us to call a fake punt. Or need to kick an on side kick. I love it. I think you should coach. Tell us more! Lets spread it out, bring in 5 wide and empty the backfield and be super fun!!!!

Our punter is damn near all American right now. A kid who BV wanted to cut. Two weeks ago we had a couple of monster punt returns. We had a return TD called back on a bunk hold. Some people have a short memory. I know, we missed a FG and kicked it out of bounds. Such is life. I guess these are good problems to have. Tyler and Nick coach special teams. Maybe call Tyler and tell him he should care more about it. Let us know how that chat goes for you.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Painful read, are you and Bison 4 Life related?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison56 View Post
    Painful read, are you and Bison 4 Life related?
    If you take the talent on this team and equate it to the level of play on special teams, I would honestly give it a D-. This is not year one of poor special teams play and I can only lay this on coaching. NOBODY can say there is a lack talent. You sir are the HOMER!!!!

I come from the Nick Saban School of "Even though we are great, we can get even better" and they have!!!

If you take the talent on this team and equate it to the level of play on special teams, I would honestly give it a D-. This is not year one of poor special teams play and I can only lay this on coaching. NOBODY can say there is a lack talent. You sir are the HOMER!!!!

I come from the Nick Saban School of "Even though we are great, we can get even better" and they have!!!
    Get your money back, you were cheated.

The special teams in the YSU game were horrible. Having said that if you look at the statistics for the season to date they are not that much different from the averages of the teams we have played. Sure every facet of the team can improve, but to expect perfection is not realistic.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    The special teams in the YSU game were horrible. Having said that if you look at the statistics for the season to date they are not that much different from the averages of the teams we have played. Sure every facet of the team can improve, but to expect perfection is not realistic.
    To add to this, I would say we've seen an improvement overall compared to our team last year, with a new punter and new long snapper as well.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    To add to this, I would say we've seen an improvement overall compared to our team last year, with a new punter and new long snapper as well.
    TBH, the block just looked like bad blocking. The formation was super weird, which probably contributed but it looked almost as though Caleb Butler was going out for a pass, he didn't even try to block. The wall fell apart very quickly.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There is nothing wrong with this take. In fact it's very close to what Phil Hansen said after the game. Our special teams had a rough game and honestly haven't been all that special for a while. Punt team needs to get the blocking figured out so it doesn't happen again since we won't be able to count on a spike on 4th down again . FG's looked good so it might just be as simple as the timing is just a hair off. 2/3 of that trio is new and our snapper and holder are just as important as the kicker. I'm sure they'll put in the extra time to get it figured out consistently.

I will say that if we were ever going to run a fake punt during the regular season it should have been Saturday. YSU was set up perfectly for it, but I'm sure the coaches thought we don't need it and will put it in the back pocket for the playoffs. No need to show off to the world that we know how to run one when the defense peels off immediately.