Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Committee Rankings

Default Re: Committee Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    I do not believe that UC Davis is the real deal. #1 they are in the Big Sky and #2 they have not beaten anyone of quality. Their conference schedule includes only one playoff team in EWU and they have not played yet.
    Seriously?

Their only loss is 30-10 against Stanford, who at the time was the #9 FBS team. Their strength of schedule is rated something like 9th toughest in the FCS according to Sagarin. They are rated as the 7th strongest FCS team according to Sagarin. They have already beaten two likely playoff teams in Idaho State and San Diego.
    UCD beat Montana. Montana is a decent team this year. Montana beat UNI and nearly beat Western Illinois.
    UCD beat Idaho State. Idaho State showed well against Cal and almost beat Liberty. They also beat UND, which like it or not is a probable playoff team this year.
    UCD beat FBS San Jose State. Granted SJSU is not a strong FBS team, so this point is debatable, but they still beat a better funded FBS team.
    UCD beat San Diego, which is probably a stretch to consider a "quality team," but they are sitting at 6-2 and less than one year removed from a playoff win against a decent Northern Arizona team.

If you were to say that you don't believe UCD has the horses to keep up with NDSU, I'd give you some credit. But if you're suggesting they don't deserve a ranking in the Top 5 or Top 10 of FCS based on what they've accomplished this year, then I have to call you out on that, my friend. That position would suggest you're not paying much attention to the FCS landscape.

Just some objectivity regarding the Stanford vs. Cal Davis game.

Very probable NFL 1st round draft pick and stud Stanford tailback, Bryce Love, sat out of that game because of injury.

He did play the following week and racked up 93 rushing yards on 19 carries in his team's win over Oregon. Then, the following week in Stanford's 19 point loss at then #8 Notre Dame, he ran 17 times for 81 yards.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Seriously?

Their only loss is 30-10 against Stanford, who at the time was the #9 FBS team. Their strength of schedule is rated something like 9th toughest in the FCS according to Sagarin. They are rated as the 7th strongest FCS team according to Sagarin. They have already beaten two likely playoff teams in Idaho State and San Diego.
    UCD beat Montana. Montana is a decent team this year. Montana beat UNI and nearly beat Western Illinois.
    UCD beat Idaho State. Idaho State showed well against Cal and almost beat Liberty. They also beat UND, which like it or not is a probable playoff team this year.
    UCD beat FBS San Jose State. Granted SJSU is not a strong FBS team, so this point is debatable, but they still beat a better funded FBS team.
    UCD beat San Diego, which is probably a stretch to consider a "quality team," but they are sitting at 6-2 and less than one year removed from a playoff win against a decent Northern Arizona team.

If you were to say that you don't believe UCD has the horses to keep up with NDSU, I'd give you some credit. But if you're suggesting they don't deserve a ranking in the Top 5 or Top 10 of FCS based on what they've accomplished this year, then I have to call you out on that, my friend. That position would suggest you're not paying much attention to the FCS landscape.
    Yes, I am serious, but I should have qualified my thought by adding "at this time". If UC Davis beats EWU then I'll consider them the real deal. Their wins so far in the Big Sky are weak, combined record of the teams is like 17-24. Montana & Idaho St. are not at the top tier of the Big Sky. Look at the Sagarin ranking of San Jose State, they are a terrible FBS teams. San Diego is considered non-scholarship for football. As of today, how many quality wins do they have? How many wins do they have over top 15 ranked teams?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Yes, I am serious, but I should have qualified my thought by adding "at this time". If UC Davis beats EWU then I'll consider them the real deal. Their wins so far in the Big Sky are weak, combined record of the teams is like 17-24. Montana & Idaho St. are not at the top tier of the Big Sky. Look at the Sagarin ranking of San Jose State, they are a terrible FBS teams. San Diego is considered non-scholarship for football. As of today, how many quality wins do they have? How many wins do they have over top 15 ranked teams?
    With Gubrud out for the season, I suspect they'll beat EWU handily. I think you're underselling Idaho State a bit. San Diego, regardless of scholarship status, has proven themselves in the past to be a worthy playoff team. I'd be happy to be wrong, as I am certainly not tied to UCD being a top team, but I'm pretty confident they're in a good position to win out and get a seed. I suspect they'll continue to win in the playoffs until they run into JMU or NDSU. Versus any other Valley team in the playoffs -- probably be a toss up. I'm content to let it all play out, but I suspect my position is closer to the target at this point than yours is. Fair enough if you'd rather wait to see how they do against EWU though.

If UC Davis wins out and wins out impressively in blowout fashion I think they will leapfrog JMU. If JMU has similar blowouts and wins out never mind JMU will stay at #2 but if they just squeek out W's I bet we will see a seed swap there when the dust settles. I fully expect Davis to not let off the gas peddle and put up some pretty crooked numbers from here on out. We see this talked about and happening in the FBS landscape and now we are going to see more of it with these FCS teams fighting for seeding position as well given how close I think teams 2-10 resumes look.

UC Davis in Frisco will be like Towson. Fitting as this team is compared to 2013.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by slips View Post
    If UC Davis wins out and wins out impressively in blowout fashion I think they will leapfrog JMU. If JMU has similar blowouts and wins out never mind JMU will stay at #2 but if they just squeek out W's I bet we will see a seed swap there when the dust settles. I fully expect Davis to not let off the gas peddle and put up some pretty crooked numbers from here on out. We see this talked about and happening in the FBS landscape and now we are going to see more of it with these FCS teams fighting for seeding position as well given how close I think teams 2-10 resumes look.
    Well, it's not the committee ranking, just STATS, but JMU didn't drop as much as I thought they would after being manhandled by a poor New Hampshire team.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...24458470085404

Guess it doesn't matter though, MH says JMU will play much better next Saturday.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...ea&tm=&src=FCS

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Well, it's not the committee ranking, just STATS, but JMU didn't drop as much as I thought they would after being manhandled by a poor New Hampshire team.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...24458470085404

Guess it doesn't matter though, MH says JMU will play much better next Saturday.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...ea&tm=&src=FCS
    And in the here we go again file...Jacksonville State up to 8th...moving toward getting a seed. And Sam Houston all the way out...

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    And in the here we go again file...Jacksonville State up to 8th...moving toward getting a seed. And Sam Houston all the way out...
    I hope so!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hung out at that website for a bit. They have the top 20 in FCS for various stats. Oddly enough, you don't really see that much NDSU representation...Wegner is 9th in punting, I think stick was 4th in yards per completion...other than that...nothing...I think J Cox would be on the list for interceptions, but that page looked really messed up. My point being, the Bison really are a football team...not overly reliant on any one player offensively to be successful....now i understand why opposing coaches lose their minds trying to prepare for us.