Page 12 of 141 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead... Who's after Klieman?

Default Re: Looking ahead... Who's after Klieman?

Bohl was a coach here in 1984 he knew what it was all about

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    I think after what we did in girls basketball, we are set! Lets go find a replacement from outside! (ok, sorry. Kidding. Sort of. Not really. we suck).

I do think the Bison football job is a BIGTIME job and we would have an unreal list of great candidates. I think any job should be a national search. Klieman has done a great job hiring. One of the many reasons we are a GD dynasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Im with ya. I don't know why people are so dang set on keeping it internal, that immediately eliminates a lot of great candidates.
    I think it depends on the timing and the impact on recruiting. Most coaching changes happen in early December which means right before the early signing day. A national search takes time and if you hire a coach from outside the program, especially one who's currently a head coach elsewhere, he's probably going to want to bring "his guys" with him on the coaching staff. Where does that leave the current class of verbals who committed to the outgoing staff? I have a hard time buying that an external candidate would've been able to keep that 2014 class together like Klieman, Goeser, and Riley did. That class had guys like Stick, Urzendowski, Allison, Dunn, Marlette, Menard, Jones, Shepherd, T Volson, B Williams, Wimbush, Jordheim, and Butler.... that's one hell of a foundational class for the success that we've seen over the last 4-5 years. Beyond that what about young guys on the roster who had relationships with the outgoing staff? Not all of them came to NDSU because of the program, the tradition, etc... I'm sure some came here because of the coaches.

I understand the benefit of a national search but with the ridiculous momentum this program has I don't know why you'd even want to risk "rocking the boat" if you don't have to. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bajadanny View Post
    Bohl was a coach here in 1984 he knew what it was all about
    Exactly my point.

Appreciate Klieman while he is here. Wish he would stay here forever.

Gene Taylor deserves a shout out for his ability to hire coaches. All of the bad coaching hires we hear about are usually because of bad decisions an AD. Read about this one https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/c...eversion=evoke

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Appreciate Klieman while he is here. Wish he would stay here forever.

Gene Taylor deserves a shout out for his ability to hire coaches. All of the bad coaching hires we hear about are usually because of bad decisions an AD. Read about this one https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/c...eversion=evoke
    Taylor ‘s first choice was Vigen who may have been good but at the time I felt Klieman should be the guy, but that’s because I like the Solomonson’s, Hager’s and Bohl’s of the world for their defensive prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think it depends on the timing and the impact on recruiting. Most coaching changes happen in early December which means right before the early signing day. A national search takes time and if you hire a coach from outside the program, especially one who's currently a head coach elsewhere, he's probably going to want to bring "his guys" with him on the coaching staff. Where does that leave the current class of verbals who committed to the outgoing staff? I have a hard time buying that an external candidate would've been able to keep that 2014 class together like Klieman, Goeser, and Riley did. That class had guys like Stick, Urzendowski, Allison, Dunn, Marlette, Menard, Jones, Shepherd, T Volson, B Williams, Wimbush, Jordheim, and Butler.... that's one hell of a foundational class for the success that we've seen over the last 4-5 years. Beyond that what about young guys on the roster who had relationships with the outgoing staff? Not all of them came to NDSU because of the program, the tradition, etc... I'm sure some came here because of the coaches.

I understand the benefit of a national search but with the ridiculous momentum this program has I don't know why you'd even want to risk "rocking the boat" if you don't have to. Just my two cents.
    Agreed. When and how the coaching change needs to happen can dictate some of the search parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Taylor ‘s first choice was Vigen who may have been good but at the time I felt Klieman should be the guy, but that’s because I like the Solomonson’s, Hager’s and Bohl’s of the world for their defensive prowess.
    I don’t believe Vigen was the first choice. No offense

I don’t believe Vigen was the first choice. No offense
    Well, than Gene lied to me in a conversation.

More importantly I made a subtle joke in my last post.

More importantly I made a subtle joke in my last post.
    Ha! Missed it, good one ☝️