Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any FCS teams out there to give the Bison a real challenge?

Default Re: Are there any FCS teams out there to give the Bison a real challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    The great equalizers that will cause a loss, would be:
    1) Complacency, thinking you are invincible. This board would lose in the heartbeat.
    2) Rivalry and Familiarity - biggest threats to a playoff loss would be to SDSU, UNI, and IL State
    3) Injury - if you lose Stick, Shep, Bruce, Lance, Jabril or others . . . you never know. Tang and Deluca in 2016 spelled loss to JMU.
    4) Playing Skeered - tightness come playoff time can cause strange things to happen.

Good list, I think these are all things that could possibly derail the run to another championship. I don't think, though, that the players and coaches would allow for complacency to set in, and while tightness could lead to mistakes, the Bison have played in so many playoff games over the years that I don't see them playing scared, either. The most likely of these that could sink the Bison in the playoffs would be injury. With their depth, NDSU can survive more major injuries than most teams, but there is a limit. None of the three QBs behind Stick have much experience, and if two of Cox, Jordheim or Marlette would happen to be injured at the same time, the LB crew would be spread really thin. I believe injuries are the greatest threat to the Bison now, but football is unpredictable and unexpected turnovers or penalties at inopportune times can also be a big factor in not winning in Frisco. As Coach Klieman said after the loss to JMU two years ago, winning a National Championship is really hard. I think we all have to remember that and appreciate what the Bison have accomplished during this unbelievable run.

Default Re: Are there any FCS teams out there to give the Bison a real challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    This team has lost an NFL MVP caliber QB and made it to Frisco.
    They also won 2 titles with the most talented QB in the FCS this decade riding the pine for his first 2 years in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by devin45k View Post
    Every time we get this cocky, we get upset.

USD
    Indiana State
    Youngstown
    I think we've been this cocky a lot more often than that.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This thread made me wonder when the last time NDSU were dogs to another FCS team. Was it EWU in the playoffs?

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    This thread made me wonder when the last time NDSU were dogs to another FCS team. Was it EWU in the playoffs?
    Were we favored in Frisco last year? I think we were which was a little surprising since JMU was undefeated at the time and had beaten us pretty soundly the year before.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    I believe NDSU was a dog to SHSU in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Were we favored in Frisco last year? I think we were which was a little surprising since JMU was undefeated at the time and had beaten us pretty soundly the year before.
    yes. I can't remember what it was but the line was in favor of NDSU.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This team has lost an NFL MVP caliber QB and made it to Frisco.
    Ummm, that QB was highly recruited, had FBS offers, was a redshirt freshman in his second year in the program. Tell me who fits that description behind Stick. The clock is ticking...

WeAreThePride is online now Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Ummm, that QB was highly recruited, had FBS offers, was a redshirt freshman in his second year in the program. Tell me who fits that description behind Stick. The clock is ticking...
    Tre Lance was recruited by multiple Ivies, and was the top football recruit in the state of Minnesota.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Tre Lance was recruited by multiple Ivies, and was the top football recruit in the state of Minnesota.
    Last time I checked the Ivies weren’t FBS. And the last time I checked he was a true freshman and not a redshirt so he is very new to the system and he had virtually no experience under center. So go ahead and knock yourself out with believing that you think your argument is relevant, but the reality is it’s not.

WeAreThePride is online now Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Last time I checked the Ivies weren’t FBS. And the last time I checked he was a true freshman and not a redshirt so he is very new to the system and he had virtually no experience under center. So go ahead and knock yourself out with believing that you think your argument is relevant, but the reality is it’s not.
    You wanna know what? You're absolutely right. This team is absolutely not prepared for an injury to a key player. We have no depth. We've demonstrated no ability to move the ball and score without the first team offense, and we are sure to fall back to mediocrity with a single injury to a critical skill position player. Easton is probably going to get a cramp, and Tre will come in. He won't have the slightest idea what to do, or how to run an offense, and cost us the first round playoff game. We'll spend all of December watching the playoffs from our couches, instead of the stands.

I think some of you posters need to get some perspective. NDSU has the best FCS QB, probably the best FCS backup QB, maybe 2 of the best 10 running backs in FCS, the best DL in FCS, a top 4 OL, a tremendous WR, probably the best Linebacker in FCS, and one of the most experienced and talented secondaries in FCS.