Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU-Red Post Game Thoughts

Default Re: ISU-Red Post Game Thoughts

Observations:

1. Kevin is the man. Congrats!
    2. Wind sucked bad for tailgating. That was the biggest hiccup of the game.
    3. The int thrown to Grimsley was one of the absolute worst I've seen in a long time. You just can't do that as a QB.
    4. NDSU took their foot off the gas in half #2. I was very disappointed in that as well. Line has to do a better job opening running lanes for backbreaking, clock killing second half drives. We still have a ways to go there, but this is not uncommon seeing the run blocking get better late season.
    5. I feel like we are still under utilizing the TE. I'd love to see some more targets.

With all this said, this is the best team since 2013. They are still not quite to that level in my mind, but they may be able to get there. I am tired of commentators saying in FCS there is NDSU, then Jame Madison, then everyone else. That is completely false. In reality, there is NDSU, and there is everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    That's being overly generous. Not trying to bash on Stick but you don't short hop the ball 2 yards in front of a receiver because you don't want to over throw them. Those were simply two really bad passes to wide open receivers. It's not the only time it has happened either I think it is what leads some to have a hard time believing he is a high round draft pick. Notice I did not put my own opinions in here about what I think of Stick as an NFL QB so, Bisonville, remember that when you rip me for saying anything remotely bad about Stick.
    I agree with the comments about Stick, at least your observations of what others are saying. In fact, I texted to a group of others during the game that those two back to back throws by Stick into the ground were terrible and definitely not NFL caliber. Sure he does some good things but hovering around 50 percent completion rate for the number of passes he has to make just doesn't say much good. Yes he can make some runs when needed and that is great. My feeling is the Bison are going to get burned by their sudden missing offense in games, whether it be early or late. Defense is good, but not that good.

Really what it looks like right now is more like: There’s NDSU, then JMU, then UNI, SDSU and Ill St and then there’s everybody else.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Is #1 actually in that jersey during games??? A fat kid looking for ice cream should end up open at least once a game wouldnt you think??? Teams that start shadowing Shep over the top and start jumping routes that Stick is "staring down" may come to haunt the Bison yet. Once again the TE quick middle slant was open all day but thrown to 2-3 times??

I also would like to see more TEs. It just seems like we should be absolutely throttling teams at this point. Wasnt Gindorf supposed to be the next great TE? Tired of watching us sleepwalk through the second half of every game.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Is #1 actually in that jersey during games??? A fat kid looking for ice cream should end up open at least once a game wouldnt you think??? Teams that start shadowing Shep over the top and start jumping routes that Stick is "staring down" may come to haunt the Bison yet. Once again the TE quick middle slant was open all day but thrown to 2-3 times??
    Yeah, but, but, but, the Bison coaches are saving that and 3/4's of the playbook for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Shep couldn't have been more wide open on that Dunn INT play. Once they post the video on VNL I'll add the link. Couple screen shots here... just a bad read. Guessing he figured Brees would track Shep over the middle... ended up not and jumping the Dunn route.

Attachment 8599

Attachment 8600
    These images are pretty interesting as they show the look Stick had at the moment he needed to make the decision on whether to throw to Dunn or Shep. Not exactly clear cut at the moment he needed to pull the trigger (almost need to know the momentum of the safety at this time). He misread the direction the safety ended up going. It did seem odd that Dunn didn't look like he even attempt to look for the ball.

If Stick didn't look off the safety to the middle of the field it could have lead to the safety jumping Dunn's route.

By looking at the bottom pic it appears the safety read his eyes or guessed lucky to jump the Dunn route. His leg is planted and moving toward Dunn. Shep is in the clear with no help inside. Chalk this up to a poor read from Stick and good one by the Safety. Or to continue with this, (if you watch it in motion) is Dunn does look around right as the pick is being made. I wonder if Stick thought Dunn was going to run a hook play and cut off his route or did Dunn read run by the safety since he bit on a short route? I just think they both read the play differently as it relates to STick and Dunn.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Shep couldn't have been more wide open on that Dunn INT play. Once they post the video on VNL I'll add the link. Couple screen shots here... just a bad read. Guessing he figured Brees would track Shep over the middle... ended up not and jumping the Dunn route.

Attachment 8599

Attachment 8600
    <s>Too much pressure in Stick's lap to make the proper read</s>

Stick has the physical tools to make it at the next level but I just don't think he has 'it.' With the tools he has at his disposal (acknowledging that his receiving corp hasn't ever been super awesome), his completion rate should be 60%+ at a minimum. I just don't think that is something that will improve a whole lot at the next level where everything happens more quickly and the windows get smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    By looking at the bottom pic it appears the safety read his eyes or guessed lucky to jump the Dunn route. His leg is planted and moving toward Dunn. Shep is in the clear with no help inside. Chalk this up to a poor read from Stick and good one by the Safety. Or to continue with this, (if you watch it in motion) is Dunn does look around right as the pick is being made. I wonder if Stick thought Dunn was going to run a hook play and cut off his route or did Dunn read run by the safety since he bit on a short route? I just think they both read the play differently as it relates to STick and Dunn.
    That's what makes second guess what likely could be a poor read or throw by Stick so tricky. Did Dunn read the coverage wrong and run the wrong route? Something definitely seemed off between Stick and Dunn on this play so who knows?

The two worm burners he through late in the game are much more cut and dry as far as being poor throws.