Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships

Default Re: 2018 World Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Gwiaz' loss was awful. Just mind boggling that he would take a (bad) straight on shot vs an opponent who had done nothing and was much bigger than him...especially while LEADING and with less than 20 seconds left. Just terrible mat awareness
    I have absolutely no reasoning for it. The match was not going to end quicker and there are no extra points for how you win. Hopefully a good lesson learned.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Man, Kyle Dake and David Taylor are incredible. If you're ever trying to turn someone into a wrestling fan, just have them watch those two. Dake just repeatedly throwing the Russian (who has been one of the 5 best wrestlers in the entire world this year at an any weight) like a rag doll was awesome. Taylor with his frenetic pace and ridiculous skill is equally awesome

How about former UNI Panther Joe Colon?! Was the American alternate weeks ago. Injury to Garrett gets him in the tournament and he wins Bronze. That is huge for USAs chance at winning the team title again.

How about former UNI Panther Joe Colon?! Was the American alternate weeks ago. Injury to Garrett gets him in the tournament and he wins Bronze. That is huge for USAs chance at winning the team title again.
    Four medals today while two are going for Gold and another for Bronze tomorrow makes our chance of repeating a strong one.

Green at 70 KG is going to need to bring his absolute best as his half bracket is stacked. At 97 KG, Snyder must remain focused as he has a fairly good draw to the Gold match.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

We get Snyder Sadulaev #2 again tomorrow for the World Title.

Frankly, Sadulaev has looked like he's on another level and has had to go through a very tough half of the bracket. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Sadulaev wins and wins relatively easily.

My hope is that the USA finishes strong and the team race comes down to the 97kg gold medal match again, just like last year.

We get Snyder Sadulaev #2 again tomorrow for the World Title.

Frankly, Sadulaev has looked like he's on another level and has had to go through a very tough half of the bracket. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Sadulaev wins and wins relatively easily.

My hope is that the USA finishes strong and the team race comes down to the 97kg gold medal match again, just like last year.
    Sadulaev had the same scenario last year and blew everyone away until he matched up with Snyder in the finals. The biggest difference is that instead of wrestling on one day, they have two. Does that help Sadulaev or Snyder more? I’m guessing Snyder since he actually has to cut down a bit to make weight. Either way, it will be fun to watch.

Still fuming over Green’s lost. That’s three top-tier American wrestlers giving up points in the final seconds and costing them and team important points.

Hail the BISON!!!

IMO, the biggest difference in Snyder vs Sadulaev round 2, is that Snyder hasn't looked invincible all year. Loss to Coon (who is a monster), very poor BTS performance, loss in the run up to Worlds, and even at the World Cup and Trials, he just wasn't his typical dominant self.

J'Den Cox makes it 3 World Champs for Team USA. He still doesn't attack as much as I'd like, and his par terre still isn't great (one leg lace against the best Bison withstanding), but he looks significantly improved to me.

I know this is an unpopular opinion...but Cox will be our 97kg entrant at the Olympics in 2020...Not a slight towards Snyder, but we'll have 2 of the 3 best in the World at 97 kg (Plus Bo Nickal as a third banana), and I think Cox continues to improve.

IMO, the biggest difference in Snyder vs Sadulaev round 2, is that Snyder hasn't looked invincible all year. Loss to Coon (who is a monster), very poor BTS performance, loss in the run up to Worlds, and even at the World Cup and Trials, he just wasn't his typical dominant self.

J'Den Cox makes it 3 World Champs for Team USA. He still doesn't attack as much as I'd like, and his par terre still isn't great (one leg lace against the best Bison withstanding), but he looks significantly improved to me.

I know this is an unpopular opinion...but Cox will be our 97kg entrant at the Olympics in 2020...Not a slight towards Snyder, but we'll have 2 of the 3 best in the World at 97 kg (Plus Bo Nickal as a third banana), and I think Cox continues to improve.
    Got to remember a few things:

1) He avenged his loss to Coon in the NCAA Finals. The fact that he wrestles internationally and collegiately at the same time is crazy. Add in that he wins pretty much every match between the two styles, is unheard of.
    2) The BTS performance was bad for a lot our guys due to the condensation on the mats (wrestling on a pier at night wasn't smart). After being down 8-1, he came back against Salas (a five-time World Medalist) to win 9-8.
    3) Snyder has dropped a least a match every year.
    4) At the World Cup he won all four matches by Technical Superiority - R1 (10-0 over India's Vicky), R2 (10-0 over Japan's Sonoda), R3 (10-0 over Georgia's Matcharashvili) and the 1st Place Round (14-3 over Azerbaijan's Bakirov). At the Final-X, he beat Gadsen (someone who he wrestled numerous times) in straight matches with the results of 9-0 and 9-2.

I'm not sure how much more dominate Kyle could be to make you think he looks any different than in other years past. His style of wrestling is just basic sound skills with little flair.
    Hail the BISON!!!

He was outclassed in the first period vs Salas, badly. The mats were bad all night, but he just got handled early in that match...which I hadn't seen before.

His pace hasn't been the same and his attack rate seems lower to me.

He didn't look like himself at Yasar Dogu or throughout parts of the NCAA season (match vs Nevills sticks out).

He was outclassed in the first period vs Salas, badly. The mats were bad all night, but he just got handled early in that match...which I hadn't seen before.

His pace hasn't been the same and his attack rate seems lower to me.

He didn't look like himself at Yasar Dogu or throughout parts of the NCAA season (match vs Nevills sticks out).
    That's the aftermath when other countries get enough footage to scout you. Same thing happens to every USA wrestler. Sanderson's ankle-pick was ineffective pretty quick on the International level and Burroughs blast double is being stopped constantly by ugly tie-ups from his opponents.

Also, we do the exact same thing, except at a much higher level than anyone else. The amount of matches I rip from just about every important International event is somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000. Each of those matches then get dissected into tendencies/skillsets of each wrestler by using programs like Dartfish. By the time the World/Olympics come around, we have every opposing wrestler broken down and a gameplan for each one. Our scouting plan is also helping us build the technique levels of our youth wrestlers through our camps and RTCs.

With that said, watch how Snyder counters Sadulaev's left underhook attacks tomorrow.
    Hail the BISON!!!