Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Championships

Default 2018 World Championships

Event begins on Saturday with Freestyle. Team USA is looking to win back to back Freestyle World Championships as Russia wants revenge. Here's a good video from UWW that features Team USA and a small bit at the end of Russian coach, Guseinov, trash talking Snyder's chances against Sadulaev.

Hail the BISON!!!

Default Re: 2018 World Championships

I'll go on record...I don't think Kyle Snyder wins gold this year.

He's been good this year, but performing at a level lower than we're accustomed to seeing.

I hope I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I'll go on record...I don't think Kyle Snyder wins gold this year.

He's been good this year, but performing at a level lower than we're accustomed to seeing.

I hope I'm wrong
    It will be interesting. The Russians made a mistake of challenging Snyder on a personal level, and I have yet to see him fail at answering those challenges.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Hail the BISON!!!

The match I want to see more than any other...is happening in round 1. Olympic gold medalist Hassan Yazdani Cherati vs David Taylor.

I was hoping to get to sleep in a little, but looks like I'll be up at 430 am to catch this one.

Was hoping they'd be split up so that they could meet for a gold, but oh well. At least it is happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    The match I want to see more than any other...is happening in round 1. Olympic gold medalist Hassan Yazdani Cherati vs David Taylor.

I was hoping to get to sleep in a little, but looks like I'll be up at 430 am to catch this one.

Was hoping they'd be split up so that they could meet for a gold, but oh well. At least it is happening again.
    As hard as they try, UWW cannot totally rid itself from FILA's stupidity. Seeding this event wouldn't be that difficult, however, due to how the IOC values the importance of medal distribution, they still insist on brackets mostly being a blind draw. This helps small, non-wrestling countries to grab a medal every once in awhile, and therefore, making wrestling look more globally compare to other Olympic sports.

Personally, I don't think the benefit of the system outweighs the bad. The strongest countries are still going to consume most of the medals, and unfortunately, the best matches won't be happening during the Gold Medal rounds.

With that said, Taylor needs to tire Yazdani much quicker than he did two years ago and control the pace. Before Taylor pinned him, Yazdani was horsing him around early in the match.

Looking at the brackets, 74 and 86 KG are ridiculously weighted on one side, which means the Gold Medal matches at those weights will be terrible compared to the QFs and SFs. Gwiazdowski has a good chance at making the finals at the Gold and Silver medalist are on the opposite side, while Joe Colon has chance at medalling depending which Joe Colon shows up.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Usa perfect on the day so far. Taylor beat Yazdani and is in the semifinals. Colon, burroughs, and Gwiazdowski all in the quarters an up shortly. Colon will be a significant underdog, but the others are favored

Shows what i know...former UNI panther Joe Colon with a dominating tech fall to advance to the world semifinals. He looked fantastic. Team USA rolling so far with two more quarterfinalists to come

Rough QFs with two last second losses. Fortunately, all four are still in medal contention, but Russia is wrestling with more determination than us after day one.

Going to need Stieber especially to win his first round match against Russia on day two if we want to have any chance at winning the Worlds.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Rough QFs with two last second losses. Fortunately, all four are still in medal contention, but Russia is wrestling with more determination than us after day one.

Going to need Stieber especially to win his first round match against Russia on day two if we want to have any chance at winning the Worlds.

Gwiaz' loss was awful. Just mind boggling that he would take a (bad) straight on shot vs an opponent who had done nothing and was much bigger than him...especially while LEADING and with less than 20 seconds left. Just terrible mat awareness