Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois St

Default Re: Illinois St

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think punt returns have been pretty good so far this year. Shepherd and Grimsley have done a nice job of not allowing too many of those low line drive bouncers go uncovered where they pick up 20+ yards rolling and Shepherd has had at least a couple nice returns.

EDIT: The NCAA stats site shows 10 punt returns for 115 yards for an 11.5 yard average so far this year. That's 34th in the FCS. So not elite but pretty good punt return averages. On a related note JMU already has 3 punt return TDs on the year (I believe they had 2 last Saturday alone) from their punt returner Amos who torched the Bison a time or two in Frisco last year.
    I thought that 18.88 yds per return being 90th out 124 teams didn't sound right. That's a hell of an average.

Quote Originally Posted by phxbison View Post
    I thought that 18.88 yds per return being 90th out 124 teams didn't sound right. That's a hell of an average.
    That's where the Bison are at for kick return average. That's not very good. If you want to play the averages they should be fair catching every kickoff inside the 6 yard line at that rate.

That's where the Bison are at for kick return average. That's not very good. If you want to play the averages they should be fair catching every kickoff inside the 6 yard line at that rate.
    I think many here have said we should be fair catching kickoffs more. Not enough risk reward to returning them.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I was wondering, do fair catch touchbacks go towards return yards? We know that Bruce probably should have fair caught almost 200yds of returns a couple games ago.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I think we cover. SDSU game only was as close as it was due to an incredible pick by the SDSU corner. This team is not as good as SDSU. Sagarin has this at about exactly -13.5 on the overall, but recent has it at about -17. We lost Bruce, but Brooks and Dunn can carry the load. Plus, our D line matches up favorably with their running attack.

I honestly think NDSU is better than most people are crediting them for at this point. (Please, please don't let the team hear this......)
    The SDSU game was not that close because of one play. You can pick and choose plays like that on both sides. What if Jalen Allison doesn't make the pick in the endzone?

Quote Originally Posted by NEBison View Post
    The SDSU game was not that close because of one play. You can pick and choose plays like that on both sides. What if Jalen Allison doesn't make the pick in the endzone?
    I thought that too but going down 14-0 at UNI showed that it might not be the end of the world we thought it would have been then.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I thought that too but going down 14-0 at UNI showed that it might not be the end of the world we thought it would have been then.
    Very true. I don't think the games over if the Bison are down 14-0 but I also don't think that one play was the difference between SDSU being in the game or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    UNI is not SDSU, I agree NEBison, that one single play may have been the difference in that ballgame. Yes, I think NDSU is the best team in the FCS, however, If they dont improve WR play, special teams play and get a bit more fire as a whole, I dont think they win a title this year. Just a feeling I get watching this team. If I have one criticism of coach K its that his teams lack fire, they mirror his image in that way. It seems like it takes a loss to fire this team up most years, I wish the coach could do that without a loss doing that for him. Not a hater, just what i see from the outside....Go Bison!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    UNI is not SDSU, I agree NEBison, that one single play may have been the difference in that ballgame. Yes, I think NDSU is the best team in the FCS, however, If they dont improve WR play, special teams play and get a bit more fire as a whole, I dont think they win a title this year. Just a feeling I get watching this team. If I have one criticism of coach K its that his teams lack fire, they mirror his image in that way. It seems like it takes a loss to fire this team up most years, I wish the coach could do that without a loss doing that for him. Not a hater, just what i see from the outside....Go Bison!!!!
    You very well might be right about NDSU not winning it all this year but there are only a few teams who are even close to there level this year again. If they do lose I have a hard time seeing it happening before the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    I entirely agree with this post. Also seems NDSU struggles against teams they should soundly beat and struggle against teams that are a bit tough but still overmatched. Still looking for the Bison to play a great game on both sides of the ball for the entire game. Just want to see some fire. To me it appears the attitude of Klieman holding back has transferred over to the players. Without all the interceptions last week that game could of been quite different. The pass defense allows too many big catches and the rush doesn't get to the QB soon enough. Add to that the offense not finishing to get scores after turnovers. Also tired of the dive play for a half yard gain on 1st offensive play of game. Just my opinion. Take it easy homers.