Thread: Most interesting weight

Default Most interesting weight

What do you all think is the most interesting weight for NDSU this year? Several pop to mind.

125- Two NCAA qualifiers and only one spot.

141- A ton of guys battling for one spot. Nein was the starter two years ago, Hampton started last year, Sutton had a great summer, Nico has been a previous starter but may be a 133, Degen had a strong redshirt season and offers a tough option on top with unmatched length. I think Sutton is the favorite, but Degen and Hampton can't be counted out. Plus, with the log jam at 125/133, do they bump Sykora up in duals to get all three of Fleetwood, Bianchi, and Sykora in the lineup?

157- Stud true freshman Franek or veteran backup Mergen? Franek offers more upside, but Mergen had a quality showing last year.

HWT- Veteran Big Dan vs highly touted rFr Brandon Metz. Metz likely offers more upside, but Big Dan was very consistent and clutch last year.

To me, 141 is the most interesting weight and I can't wait for the Green and Gold scrimmage and Bison Open, to see how things shake out.

Default Re: Most interesting weight

Play the True Freshman. Instead Big Time Wrestling pretty much pre-determined by the bigger recruit?

whereas, you need to play these big time freshman recruits, so you can show that next big time recruit that he will wrestle Day 1 for you if he commits?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    What do you all think is the most interesting weight for NDSU this year? Several pop to mind.

141- A ton of guys battling for one spot. Nein was the starter two years ago, Hampton started last year, Sutton had a great summer, Nico has been a previous starter but may be a 133, Degen had a strong redshirt season and offers a tough option on top with unmatched length. I think Sutton is the favorite, but Degen and Hampton can't be counted out. Plus, with the log jam at 125/133, do they bump Sykora up in duals to get all three of Fleetwood, Bianchi, and Sykora in the lineup?

157- Stud true freshman Franek or veteran backup Mergen? Franek offers more upside, but Mergen had a quality showing last year.

HWT- Veteran Big Dan vs highly touted rFr Brandon Metz. Metz likely offers more upside, but Big Dan was very consistent and clutch last year.

To me, 141 is the most interesting weight and I can't wait for the Green and Gold scrimmage and Bison Open, to see how things shake out.
    I'm not too worried about who starts as much as how they wrestle in regards to their full potential. Last year during the season, the intensity and performance was too low for the talent on the team, and then, they showed up to Vegas for the Open in April and smashed a lot of high-level opponents. The way they performed that weekend is hopefully how they bring it this season. There's a lot of potential for the team to finish in the Top-20 this year. Hopefully, in a few years, we're talking about them being Top-10.
    Hail the BISON!!!

I'm probably most excited about Jaden Van Maanen. He knocked off a couple of big names in the freestyle season and scored a lot of points along the way.

I'd like to see Franek redshirt this year. I think that gives him the best chance to make the NCAA tournament in the first year.

The roster battles at 125 and HWT could be very interesting.

The guys aren't getting much love from the rankings committee yet. I hope they can change that once the season gets underway.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

Is the Green Gold dual open to the public? Would love to go watch Shearer wrestle.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    Is the Green Gold dual open to the public? Would love to go watch Shearer wrestle.
    Yes. Starts at 2pm Sunday at the SHAC.

533 In a row

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Yes. Starts at 2pm Sunday at the SHAC.
    Awesome, thanks!
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1