Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WIU Post Game Thoughts

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: WIU Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    We do make a lot of good teams look terrible, but I am starting to get a little concerned with our defense. I know we still only gave up 7 but there's something missing in this defense. We're just different out there and I don't know what it is and I'm hoping it doesn't get figured out until after win 15.
    I think the defense is great, that’s not an issue.

In the second half the Bison defense forced four consecutive turnovers inside the WIU side of the field. One on downs, three INTs, and only got 10 points, the only TD came on the fourth TO. That should not be considered acceptable offense when the D plays so well, and it comes down to the philosophy of the HC. He always takes the foot off the peddle and it could cost him this year. If they had pushed scoring on those first three turnovers and have gotten more than three points Stick could have gone to the bench and valuable playing time could have been given to a backup QB. That reduces the risk of Stick getting hurt rather than benching him with less than two minutes left in the game. Lots of backups get quality playing time, but not the QB. One could make an argument that this position is the weakest link to another championship.

Is it just me or does it seem like the receivers (including backs and TEs) don't adjust to the blitz really at all? In most of the sacks I remember today there was no receiver in frame when Stick was taken down. No hot routes... nowhere for him to go except try to scramble away.

All in all though it was a great effort though. For as dominant as the offense was last week the defense picked it up this week. Outside of some herculean efforts from former NDSU verbal Isaiah Lesure (would be kind of nice to have him in green & yellow right now) and some poorly read screens the defense shut them down and could've easily forced more turnovers than they did.

Our defense scored just as many points as their offense did. Tackling looked a little sloppy at times, but let’s be real. Our defense can’t hold a team to negative points. Sometimes that’s apparently what we expect?

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    Lb corp is not as good as last year... Deluca seemed to take care of the middle of the field.
    I agree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

A dominating defensive performance and we won by 25. I am happy with it. Yes, always things to get better on but sometimes it seems like some only think a good game was played if we win 80-0 with 0 yards allowed. Celebrate the win !!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    except, theyre not good at anything. Theyre the 25th ranked FCS team in the sagarin. their 1 TD had some miraculous miscues by NDSU(sack misses and an allison missed INT that should've been 6)...their TD was also one hell of a catch.

This isnt your WIU gritty team from the past 5 years thatll ugly up a game enough to where they can threaten to steal one from the better team...these guys werent any good at all.
    We kicked their ass worse than those previous teams

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Leaving beautiful Macomb now headed home.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

UNI game they win big in an offensive shootout.
    WIU game they win big in a defensive standoff.
    Just win big baby.

Wouldn't be surprised if Klieman is coy about Anderson, Grimsley, etc injuries until gameday next week. Big conference game against Red Birds.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Dom just said Tanner Volson was hurt along with Bruce and Robbie. I missed that.

Lardsin must go!