Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK Culhane, let me educate you on how you do a barcket

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default OK Culhane, let me educate you on how you do a barcket

Sorry, NDSU #2, would not play the winner of 22 vs 23 ranked teams. You do a bracket like this when is you rank 1-24.

9 vs 24; Plays 8 Seed; Projected 8 vs 9
    10 vs 23; Plays 7 Seed; Projected 7 vs 10
    11 vs. 22; Plays 6 Seed; Projected 6 vs 11
    12 vs 21; Plays 5 Seed; Projected 5 vs 12
    13 vs 20; Plays 4 Seed; Projected 4 vs 13
    14 vs 19; Plays 3 Seed; Projected 3 vs 14
    15 vs 18; Plays 2 Seed; Projected 2 vs 15
    16 vs 17; Plays 1 Seed; Projected 1 vs 16

What in the H is Culhane talking about? If all 24 were ranked, NDSU would play the winner of 15 vs. 18. The assumption is 17-24 get beat in the 1st round. If you're going to go on a rant, have a clue what you are talking about.

Default Re: OK Culhane, let me educate you on how you do a barcket

Yeah, I was kinda shaking my head listening to that also. His reasoning was that the #1 and #2 seeds should be "rewarded". Personally, I'd say getting to play at home until you lose or make it to Frisco is a massive reward. If you used his idea then the #3 and #4 seeds would complain about not being rewarded.

I think everyone would agree that seeding the entire field 1-24 would be the best approach but I wish they would at least pool those bottom 16 teams into groups of 4 like the NCAA baseball/softball tournaments do so they would have a 1 seed through a 6 seed in each of the 4 quadrants and then place the top 8 seeds accordingly to construct the bracket. They could still regionalize it then to some degree but it would make it a little more balanced. Fat chance of that happening though especially if the dumb idea to expand the playoffs to 32 gains any more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    ... but I wish they would at least pool ... groups of 4 ... so they would have a 1 seed through a 6 seed in each of the 4 quadrants and then place the top 8 seeds accordingly to construct the bracket. They could still regionalize it then to some degree but it would make it a little more balanced.
    Your idea makes sense, that's why it can't happen in NCAA-football-land.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I was kinda shaking my head listening to that also. His reasoning was that the #1 and #2 seeds should be "rewarded". Personally, I'd say getting to play at home until you lose or make it to Frisco is a massive reward. If you used his idea then the #3 and #4 seeds would complain about not being rewarded.

I think everyone would agree that seeding the entire field 1-24 would be the best approach but I wish they would at least pool those bottom 16 teams into groups of 4 like the NCAA baseball/softball tournaments do so they would have a 1 seed through a 6 seed in each of the 4 quadrants and then place the top 8 seeds accordingly to construct the bracket. They could still regionalize it then to some degree but it would make it a little more balanced. Fat chance of that happening though especially if the dumb idea to expand the playoffs to 32 gains any more traction.
    Its a 24 team bracket, so you have 4 groups of 6 teams in each group. Can't do groups of 4 in a 24 team plays, math doesn't work.

Our Group of 6 is: SIU/SD/NDSU/Davidson/Kennesaw/ETSU

Sorry if you like softball, but football is not double elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Its a 24 team bracket, so you have 4 groups of 6 teams in each group. Can't do groups of 4 in a 24 team plays, math doesn't work.

You'd have 6 groups of 4 and one team from each group would be in each quadrant. The top 8 would still be seeded and placed accordingly like they are today. After that you'd break the final 16 into 4 groups of 4 - call them regional 3 seeds through 6 seeds. You could pair the 3 seeds with the 6 seeds regionally and feed them into overall seeds #5-#8 regionally. You could pair the 4 seeds with the 5 seeds regionally and feed them into overall seeds #1-#4 regionally. That's pretty much how they do it in the NCAA baseball tournament where they seed the top 16 and then pool the unseeded 48 into groups of 16 and take one from each group for each of the 16 regionals. It's just instead of 16 regionals with 4 teams each you'd have 8 regionals with 3 teams each.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post

PC's idea would have 4 groups of 6 with each group having 2 teams with byes. Just like the current group of 6 we're in that you outlined. It would just be a different (most likely) group of 6, and it would prevent two weaker teams like Sacred Heart & Holy Cross playing this weekend, and potentially stronger teams playing each other like say SDSU & EWU (it didn't happen but very easily could have, and has happened in years past).

Edit: I see PC already elaborated

I know y'all hate the word, but NCAA hockey process:

Six autobids, ten highest remaining PWR. Those sixteen are seeded by PWR 1-16. Those are broken into four groups of four, so you have four 1s, four 2s, etc. Each quadrant has a 1, 2, 3, and 4. They initially try a "chalk" straight 1-16 bracket. But must have no in-conference first round games. If one happens, you swap 4s (or 3s) between quadrants.

There are some other quirks, like regional host schools must play at their host site if one of the sixteen. (Yes, a 16 overall could be a host site host. Should that happen, the lowest 1 of top 4 goes there. They try to protect #1 overall always.) And if they can simplify travel by swapping 2/3 opening round games between quadrants, they do.

HERD. maybe edit your 1st post.

culhane made the mistake of using KEITH BRAKE's INFO... so Brake is the dumbass, not culhane, although culhane should know better to blindly use brake's info. hahaha.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    ... two weaker teams like Sacred Heart & Holy Cross playing this weekend ...
    That is not a good look for FCS. I'd pick Western Illinois in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    HERD. maybe edit your 1st post.

culhane made the mistake of using KEITH BRAKE's INFO... so Brake is the dumbass, not culhane, although culhane should know better to blindly use brake's info. hahaha.
    My apologies to Mr. Culhane.