Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: SDSU Post Game Thoughts

Man, what a game! The Bunnies sure know how to get up and bring it against the Bison. Haven't read what the majority on here are thinking for post game thoughts, but I'm sure most everything has been covered.

That drop by Cade Johnson on 4th & 1 was huge. Easton Stick is amazing, kid plays with so much heart, I'm glad he's our QB.

Maybe not a popular thing to say but I give a lot of credit to the Bunnies. They did just about everything they could to steal one in Fargo again, but a few key plays were the difference.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Can't dismiss the bye week for the Bunnies, as they had 2 weeks to prepare for the Bison. Gave them time to throw in some new schemes that gave the Bison fits in the first half. Next time these two teams meet they will both have the same prep time!

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver View Post
    Can't dismiss the bye week for the Bunnies, as they had 2 weeks to prepare for the Bison. Gave them time to throw in some new schemes that gave the Bison fits in the first half. Next time these two teams meet they will both have the same prep time!
    I th8nk the bunnies drop a couple this year, they put all their energy into beating NDSU, we will see

Good team yes, can they sustain, TC goes down what happens then

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by noryan34 View Post
    In the video using the hash marks as a reference. the front of the ball is behind the hash mark while the back of the receivers foot is in front of the hash. That is 2 feet or so between the front of the ball and the receivers foot.

Also its a first down and the ball is marked (based on the chains) just short of the 13. and the receiver's entire foot is past or in front of the 13

Its a miss by the refs and there was plenty in this game
    Time for a lesson. But please don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the answer. My goal is to help you understand how something like this is taught at all levels of officiating.

There are rules and there are philosophical applications of the rules. Advantage/disadvantage plays a huge part in these philosophies. When it comes to formations a key philosophy is to make them legal. The further they are from the snapper the more latitude you give them. He's a receiver far from the ball with nobody pressing him. Let that go but talk to him after to remind him to get back. That kind of preventative officiating happens on several plays and helps immensely with game management and flow.

A good example when it comes to formations is every player on offense is either a lineman or back. A lineman is any player who is breaking the waist of the snapper. A back is anyone not breaking the waist of the nearest lineman. That usually results in most slot guys being in no man's land (not a lineman by definition and not a back by definition). They usually break the waist of the tackle/TE or the outside receiver. By philosophy as long as there is separation between the receivers front feet they are gaining no advantage. The defense can easily determine both are eligible. If they push it too far early you will often talk to them (again preventative officiating) and if they don't correct it then it becomes a foul. The official may have treated this instance as a talk to.

All that being said this looks far enough across I think he would be fine flagging it without a warning. But they did not gain any advantage on the play. A one foot head start on a non pressed receiver doesn't do much. Being overly technical on things like this affects the flow of the game. Fans aren't there to watch the officials show how precise they can be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Here are two more examples. On the interception 2 plays later, there are 3 legal backs on this play: the wideout on top, the running back and the quarterback. There are 7 legal linemen on the play. The 6 in tight formation around the snapper (although the player on the right end--not sure if he's a tackle or a tight end with tackle over--is almost too deep to be breaking the waist of the snapper). The third receiver is breaking the waist of the lineman to his right, but he's not breaking the waist of the snapper so he's neither a lineman nor back. That technically makes this an illegal formation.

On the Bison formation on the last play of the quarter, the right tackle appears to be too far back. You are going to be a little more technical on this because being back gives him an advantage if he's pass blocking an end. The second receiver definitely and the third receiver probably are breaking the waist of the LT so they legally aren't backs. They aren't linemen either because they aren't breaking the waist of the snapper.

But everybody can clearly see the stagger of the receivers and knows all 3 recovers on the trips side are eligible. These aren't even a talk to for the receivers (maybe on the tight end). Make them legal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I heard from a HS ref some of the lines in the dome are way crooked

I'm sure they are. Almost every turf field has some crooked lines and the dome's get pulled out and rolled back up every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    I heard from a HS ref some of the lines in the dome are way crooked
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So, what should I be looking for? What did SDSU do effectively that UNI might be able to copy? What did SDSU not do effectively that UNI might be able to do better? What are the deciding factors that will determine the game? I would love for the Panthers to have the defensive line that shut you down in Cedar Falls several years ago, but I don't see that happening this weekend.

PS. Hopefully we can get some advantage with the clock operator errors!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    So, what should I be looking for? What did SDSU do effectively that UNI might be able to copy? What did SDSU not do effectively that UNI might be able to do better? What are the deciding factors that will determine the game? I would love for the Panthers to have the defensive line that shut you down in Cedar Falls several years ago, but I don't see that happening this weekend.

Have Farley get a DUI by drinking Joose quick before the game. That distracts our fanbase from offering our razor sharp observations to the coaching staff. It's really your only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post

Their scripted plays moved the ball on the bison their first few drives. Lots of motion. After that settled down they had a 60 yard td run which doesnt happen often.

They dropped a for sure 80 yard td too,so dont do that.