Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UNI Game Travel Plans

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UNI Game Travel Plans

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Doesn't look like anything changed in two years.

New turf for the football field. Huge improvement.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Thank God. Old stuff was way past it's prime.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Thank God. Old stuff was way past it's prime.

Like I posted somewhere else, I've heard that the old turf was damaged during installation and so it never fit right. Hope you guys don't like the new turf too much tomorrow!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Like I posted somewhere else, I've heard that the old turf was damaged during installation and so it never fit right. Hope you guys don't like the new turf too much tomorrow!
    Other than being hideous it seemed like it worked out well for the Bison. Is it too late to get the old stuff back for your guys' sake?

Not sure if true. UNI decided to go with a carpet-style replacement turf instead of infill-style. Questionable decision. I understand why, but I think they should have bitten the bullet and coughed up the cash to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Not sure if true. UNI decided to go with a carpet-style replacement turf instead of infill-style. Questionable decision. I understand why, but I think they should have bitten the bullet and coughed up the cash to do it right.
    I thought it looked like the old carpet style, thought maybe I was seeing things because I can't imagine why anyone would choose that style.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I thought it looked like the old carpet style, thought maybe I was seeing things because I can't imagine why anyone would choose that style.
    They chose it because of the difficulties they had with removable infill. Ours is basically one giant piece that rolls up and is stored in a trench below floor level. UNI either didn't have a place to put a trench, or didn't want to spend the money to reconfigure the space behind an endzone for one. Because of that, they have to have turf that rolls up in sections and is carted away using modified forklifts to a storage room. When they installed their last turf which was infill, the sections were reportedly too heavy for their equipment and they had to cut the sections into smaller strips. This created issues with seams opening up and infill spilling all over the place when laying it out and rolling it up.

So I guess UNI had three choices. Keep the same equipment but go to carpet-style so they could use larger strips and not deal with rubber pellets. Upgrade the equipment so that they can handle larger infill strips of turf. Or spend a lot of money to build a trench and install an automatic infill system like the FD has. I would have gone with the last option if at all possible, and at least found the money for bigger equipment to do roll-up infill right if it wasn't.

BTW, they really messed up the colors. The original choices didn't look that bad. Wonder why they went away from them?
    https://www.astroturf.com/2017/04/26...northern-iowa/

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    They chose it because of the difficulties they had with removable infill. Ours is basically one giant piece that rolls up and is stored in a trench below floor level. UNI either didn't have a place to put a trench, or didn't want to spend the money to reconfigure the space behind an endzone for one. Because of that, they have to have turf that rolls up in sections and is carted away using modified forklifts to a storage room. When they installed their last turf which was infill, the sections were reportedly too heavy for their equipment and they had to cut the sections into smaller strips. This created issues with seams opening up and infill spilling all over the place when laying it out and rolling it up.

So I guess UNI had three choices. Keep the same equipment but go to carpet-style so they could use larger strips and not deal with rubber pellets. Upgrade the equipment so that they can handle larger infill strips of turf. Or spend a lot of money to build a trench and install an automatic infill system like the FD has. I would have gone with the last option if at all possible, and at least found the money for bigger equipment to do roll-up infill right if it wasn't.

BTW, they really messed up the colors. The original choices didn't look that bad. Wonder why they went away from them?
    https://www.astroturf.com/2017/04/26...northern-iowa/

"Messed up the colors." Huh? I don't think I've heard a single UNI fan say that. What's wrong with these colors? And what makes you guys the ones who get to decide what our colors should be? It may be the one thing that all your championship rings don't entitle you to comment on!

As for the decisions regarding type of turf, I'm sure that money played a big part. It may not be the best, but it is far better than the previous turf with its tears, lumps, and crooked endzone lines.

"Messed up the colors." Huh? I don't think I've heard a single UNI fan say that. What's wrong with these colors?
    I mean...come on. The turf looks like shit. Literally.

No one is saying what UNI should do...but those colors are awful. At least at EWU they know its annoying.

"Messed up the colors." Huh? I don't think I've heard a single UNI fan say that. What's wrong with these colors? And what makes you guys the ones who get to decide what our colors should be? It may be the one thing that all your championship rings don't entitle you to comment on!

As for the decisions regarding type of turf, I'm sure that money played a big part. It may not be the best, but it is far better than the previous turf with its tears, lumps, and crooked endzone lines.
    Fan's from other teams call our jerseys ugly all the time. They are entitled to their opinion.
    Your new turf is ugly. That is my opinion. The reasons for going with the cheaper carpet style were probably practical considering the finances. However the choice to go with the Iowa State watermark at the 50 and the alternating shades or green was just plain bad. Looks like water stains.

You can mock the size of the Gate City Bank logos on the FargoDome turf if that will make you feel any better.