Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Freshman 4 - 2018 Edition

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: The Freshman 4 - 2018 Edition

I find it odd that coaches would play freshman this early in the year vs later in the year when injuries and conference play takes their tolls. We might need them later on on a few key plays or games. But these games also give them excellent experience without being beat up like they would be in Valley play.

Looking again at how many games each guy have played so far, many of them still have 2-3 games left before they lose the redshirt. I'm no coach here, but i think they might be saving their impact games for the ones after SDSU and UNI. Might need some help after that meat grinder duo.

WIU feels like a trap game, and ISUr now looks like an actual challenge. Luckily, we have them at home.

Klieman has also said that the only freshman they plan on playing more than 4 games at this point is Sproles. Unless of coarse injuries alter those plans. Also sounds like Seth Wilson may play only 4 games and redshirt this year depending on when he comes back from injury. That would be another RB redshirting this year in addition to Williams who is converting from WR to RB next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    I find it odd that coaches would play freshman this early in the year vs later in the year when injuries and conference play takes their tolls. We might need them later on on a few key plays or games. But these games also give them excellent experience without being beat up like they would be in Valley play.
    It seems to me you might have answered your own question.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Most of these guys that are getting some action wouldn't be playing as redshirts if this new rule wasn't in place. Seth Wilson's situation (not playing till half way thru the season) was very rare, at least for us. It's a great thing... helps the new guys stay engaged and give them a taste of what college football is like. I'd have to imagine that redshirt year can be pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    Most of these guys that are getting some action wouldn't be playing as redshirts if this new rule wasn't in place. Seth Wilson's situation (not playing till half way thru the season) was very rare, at least for us. It's a great thing... helps the new guys stay engaged and give them a taste of what college football is like. I'd have to imagine that redshirt year can be pretty brutal.
    The Trey Lance sneak peek was worth it all by itself!

SDSU:

Phoenix Sproles

Honorable mention: Dimitri Williams

Williams is planning on redshirting so thought he should be tracked like the freshman.

Sproles has now reached the magic number.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Klieman has also said that the only freshman they plan on playing more than 4 games at this point is Sproles. Unless of coarse injuries alter those plans. Also sounds like Seth Wilson may play only 4 games and redshirt this year depending on when he comes back from injury. That would be another RB redshirting this year in addition to Williams who is converting from WR to RB next year.
    Wow Sproles looks very lost and looks to be swimming doesn’t look to be ready for this stage

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCityBison View Post
    Wow Sproles looks very lost and looks to be swimming doesn’t look to be ready for this stage
    I really hope that Sproles is done for the year unless absolutely needed. He hasn't looked very good and it seems like we have enough receivers contributing(kinda).

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Power View Post
    I really hope that Sproles is done for the year unless absolutely needed. He hasn't looked very good and it seems like we have enough receivers contributing(kinda).
    - Darrius is playing great. Better then I thought he would as the #1 to be honest so kudos to him.
    - Dallas seems to make 1 or 2 big catches a game but not constant involvement.
    - Desmond is yet to be determined. Played great against Delaware but disappeared against SDSU. Seems to be getting dinged up often.

Best case is that Desmond keeps getting more touches, Dallas makes his couple big plays a game, and Darrius is the workhorse and we don't rely on Watson and Sproles. I personally think we need to keep working Watson and Sproles into their roles so our depth improves and just gives Mess more options. Plus I want Watson and Sproles to have legit reps going into next year as they will be our leading WRs likely.
    Rixen

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    - Darrius is playing great. Better then I thought he would as the #1 to be honest so kudos to him.
    - Dallas seems to make 1 or 2 big catches a game but not constant involvement.
    - Desmond is yet to be determined. Played great against Delaware but disappeared against SDSU. Seems to be getting dinged up often.

Best case is that Desmond keeps getting more touches, Dallas makes his couple big plays a game, and Darrius is the workhorse and we don't rely on Watson and Sproles. I personally think we need to keep working Watson and Sproles into their roles so our depth improves and just gives Mess more options. Plus I want Watson and Sproles to have legit reps going into next year as they will be our leading WRs likely.
    Yep, I wonder if the main reason Sproles is getting his shirt pulled is so he's better next year. Based on the depth chart he's WR5 right now and I don't think you pull the shirt on a WR5 in NDSU's offense because you need him that badly. I think they know they're going to need him next year so they're trying to accelerate his development as much as possible (if that makes sense).