Page 52 of 112 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Indoor Practice Facility

Default Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I guess while people are bitching a bit about the process, I'm going to pile on. One thing that frustrates me with the way NDSU goes about their building designs and fundraising efforts is the lack of vision. They are just WAY too worried about being pragmatic and frugal. For the most part, this works against them in getting things done more quickly. I've been a part of several projects over the years that seek partial funding (donated or granted by the state) prior to making full commitments. One common practice, and what I always preach to my clients, is to enable the design team to get people excited. People want to donate to causes that they can feel proud of, where there is visual evidence of the impact that will be made, and which exudes a particular good feeling inside all of us. People want to know that their money will accomplish something unique and profound. When I see shitty renderings of shitty buildings, or even nice renderings of shitty designs, I know without doubt that an opportunity has been lost.

Being so frugal all of the time limits people's imagination and certainly limits their willingness to go with you on the ride. More importantly, big companies don't want to put their logo on a shitty building. For most of them, it is simply a beauty contest. It might be the difference of being able to fund raise $60M for a nice building when you have trouble coming up with $50M for the same project that lacks vision.

Sometimes you have to dream bigger than you want in order to simply get what you need.
    Problem is this, they have to get permission just to start thinking about or fundraising for a project from the legislature which is asinine since it's going to be fully funded by private donations. Second, when the fundraising doesn't meet expectation the project has to be revised or the timeline just gets extended and that's a vicious cycle because as mentioned once the original fund raising goal is met the costs have increased. All of this would be solved by allowing bonding which for whatever reason seems to be frowned upon in this state. It's just fricking dumb and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    His latest contract is ultimately 107 million guaranteed. He's made millions on endorsements and jersey sales. I'm sure he will be OK.
    Not jersey sales, unless something has changed that goes to a central pool for all players, but yes I would think he’s going to be just fine on the financial front.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I hope that CW spends more on helping the needy than he does helping our football program.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I hope that CW spends more on helping the needy than he does helping our football program.
    I don't....
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Per the Bison 1660 Twitter Feed...sounds like Larsen announced on The Insiders that they'll be breaking ground on Phase 1 of the IPF this Spring.

Is this implying they haven't been able to raise enough money so they're just going to do it in phases? I can see where they want the indoor practice space first, while continuing to use SHAC and dome facilities for other things with the goal of moving all of that later.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Is this implying they haven't been able to raise enough money so they're just going to do it in phases? I can see where they want the indoor practice space first, while continuing to use SHAC and dome facilities for other things with the goal of moving all of that later.
    Kind of what I was wondering....I know that Larsen said last Fall that they were "close" to having all funds secured.

Unfortunately, it seems like momentum has been lost.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Just listened (scroll to 1 hour 34 minutes) -- sounds like they are breaking ground... but you are correct, we may not be fully funded yet. Many of the projects I have managed are phased -- it's pretty common on big projects -- If they can get the indoor practice field constructed, that's a pretty major accomplishment!

https://soundcloud.com/user-74421198...2020-full-show

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    I don't....
    I don't either.