Page 51 of 112 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Indoor Practice Facility

Default Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Having to have full funding raised before putting a shovel in the ground is pretty dumb.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Having to have full funding raised before putting a shovel in the ground is pretty dumb.
    I am sure some moron legislator thinks it is this amazing act of fiscal policy but in reality, you just end up waiting longer and paying more. Plus you have donors growing frustrated because it seems like nothing is going anywhere, even though the school has very likely done an amazing job at raising funds. Momentum just stalls like we saw with the SHAC.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Completely agree.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Must spread rep
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I am sure some moron legislator thinks it is this amazing act of fiscal policy but in reality, you just end up waiting longer and paying more. Plus you have donors growing frustrated because it seems like nothing is going anywhere, even though the school has very likely done an amazing job at raising funds. Momentum just stalls like we saw with the SHAC.
    Even South Dakota gets this.........

On another note, Dom seems convinced Carson is ponying up some serious cash......I find that odd as this would be the type of thing you would help fund when you retire, but maybe with the AO1 angle?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    On another note, Dom seems convinced Carson is ponying up some serious cash......I find that odd as this would be the type of thing you would help fund when you retire, but maybe with the AO1 angle?
    Dunno. He can probably use an income tax deduction now just as well as when he retires.
    Don't believe everything you think.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I guess while people are bitching a bit about the process, I'm going to pile on. One thing that frustrates me with the way NDSU goes about their building designs and fundraising efforts is the lack of vision. They are just WAY too worried about being pragmatic and frugal. For the most part, this works against them in getting things done more quickly. I've been a part of several projects over the years that seek partial funding (donated or granted by the state) prior to making full commitments. One common practice, and what I always preach to my clients, is to enable the design team to get people excited. People want to donate to causes that they can feel proud of, where there is visual evidence of the impact that will be made, and which exudes a particular good feeling inside all of us. People want to know that their money will accomplish something unique and profound. When I see shitty renderings of shitty buildings, or even nice renderings of shitty designs, I know without doubt that an opportunity has been lost.

Being so frugal all of the time limits people's imagination and certainly limits their willingness to go with you on the ride. More importantly, big companies don't want to put their logo on a shitty building. For most of them, it is simply a beauty contest. It might be the difference of being able to fund raise $60M for a nice building when you have trouble coming up with $50M for the same project that lacks vision.

Sometimes you have to dream bigger than you want in order to simply get what you need.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I guess while people are bitching a bit about the process, I'm going to pile on. One thing that frustrates me with the way NDSU goes about their building designs and fundraising efforts is the lack of vision. They are just WAY too worried about being pragmatic and frugal. For the most part, this works against them in getting things done more quickly. I've been a part of several projects over the years that seek partial funding (donated or granted by the state) prior to making full commitments. One common practice, and what I always preach to my clients, is to enable the design team to get people excited. People want to donate to causes that they can feel proud of, where there is visual evidence of the impact that will be made, and which exudes a particular good feeling inside all of us. People want to know that their money will accomplish something unique and profound. When I see shitty renderings of shitty buildings, or even nice renderings of shitty designs, I know without doubt that an opportunity has been lost.

Being so frugal all of the time limits people's imagination and certainly limits their willingness to go with you on the ride. More importantly, big companies don't want to put their logo on a shitty building. For most of them, it is simply a beauty contest. It might be the difference of being able to fund raise $60M for a nice building when you have trouble coming up with $50M for the same project that lacks vision.

Sometimes you have to dream bigger than you want in order to simply get what you need.
    I agree with your general sentiment, but I don't think we're necessarily being frugal but we're not going big enough either. 38 million bucks is a nice chunk of change. For comparison, the SHAC was 50 million. Check out the Ball State new IPF and ours is much nicer.

But we really fall short on the looks of the facility and it lacks the wow factor from the outside. Also we really need to add space for a flashy player lounge. A really nice one. I'm talking something that makes jaws drop. It would be nice being ahead of the curve and to make plans for one in the future. We can't do one after the place is built. Add a huge basement for future projects so we can't say we are landlocked.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    His latest contract is ultimately 107 million guaranteed. He's made millions on endorsements and jersey sales. I'm sure he will be OK.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com