Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CalPoly Post Game Thoughts

Default Re: CalPoly Post Game Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I think you are right, it was scheme related. Our safety, Grimsley, spend a good part of the day lined up at linebacker depth and was making tackles in the backfield, so we purposely left the corners on an island with little support over the top. I am a bit surprised Cal Poly didn't try to throw it more, although when they got in passing situations the defensive line got to the QB pretty quickly.
    Dead on. Corners were locked man on man all day, not involved much at all in running game. Scheme was designed to shut down the option which is exactly what it did and when they passed we depended on our all world D-line to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Our pass coverage looked a little weak on Saturday. On a lot of 1 on 1 deep routes I noticed their wide receivers were getting separation a few that resulted in some big completions. I’m inclined to think this was because our D was geared up to defend the option, but why did this happen when the corners were singled up? Any thoughts? Sounds like we might not get away with this against the UNA QB in 2 weeks...
    I wish the Bison wide receivers could get separation like our opponents seem to get. Apparently our wide receivers are so used to blocking every play they must get confused and stay with the defender getting ready to block.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Since they are a running team probably this. They were only 6/11 and 125 yards so I wouldn't be too concerned. UNA was much more balanced against SUU and I would be surprised if we didn't get much closer coverage and two imnterceptions (or if you prefer "picks").
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Hard to give any legit criticize to a pass defense when you're playing in a blow out. Guys let off, as they should. Once you're up by that much your job is now to play well enough to keep them in check, but most importantly...not get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I think you are right, it was scheme related. Our safety, Grimsley, spend a good part of the day lined up at linebacker depth and was making tackles in the backfield, so we purposely left the corners on an island with little support over the top. I am a bit surprised Cal Poly didn't try to throw it more, although when they got in passing situations the defensive line got to the QB pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by wisco4 View Post
    Dead on. Corners were locked man on man all day, not involved much at all in running game. Scheme was designed to shut down the option which is exactly what it did and when they passed we depended on our all world D-line to get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    I wish the Bison wide receivers could get separation like our opponents seem to get. Apparently our wide receivers are so used to blocking every play they must get confused and stay with the defender getting ready to block.
    Good talk, guys.

Totally agree with SD... Scheme or not, their receivers looked better. I think we will get by with this fin conference, but I don't think that will cut it in the Valley...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Marlette!!!! and how about that Hanke kid out of Park River? He may see a lot of time before this season is over. You can see he is a natural just watching him for a few series, great instinct. NDSU will really appreciate the reps the 2nd stringers are getting come next year at this time.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm not quite ready to jump on the WR having issues bandwagon yet after game 1. A few dropped passes that could've been catches and Easton is more like 7 of 9. Passing wasn't much of a focus for the Bison Saturday as they racked up something like 450 yards rushing. I don't think Shep was 100%, and Watson got held out as well. We're pretty young at this position, lets be patient and give these guys some time to adjust to playing college football.

Did anyone hear Phil on the radio yesterday? I love hearing the break down of things a guy like him sees. We're running multiple plays out of similar looks offensively, he loved how we gave the ball to Robbins a couple of times so teams have to be mindful of that, and the defensive look of Cox lining up behind the middle LB and 3 down lineman was a pretty awesome creation of Entz & Co. Give the Bison an entire off season to prepare for the option and I really like our chances. We held an option team to what, 80 some yards rushing?, and people get worried about them completing a couple of deep balls over the top? Ha, Bisonville.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Adam Cofield is smoooooth.
    Excited to see him get a little stronger. There were a couple runs where he was almost gone,you but not quite. I don't think we have much to worry about at RB after Bruce and Lance move on!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    I'm not quite ready to jump on the WR having issues bandwagon yet after game 1. A few dropped passes that could've been catches and Easton is more like 7 of 9. Passing wasn't much of a focus for the Bison Saturday as they racked up something like 450 yards rushing. I don't think Shep was 100%, and Watson got held out as well. We're pretty young at this position, lets be patient and give these guys some time to adjust to playing college football.

Did anyone hear Phil on the radio yesterday? I love hearing the break down of things a guy like him sees. We're running multiple plays out of similar looks offensively, he loved how we gave the ball to Robbins a couple of times so teams have to be mindful of that, and the defensive look of Cox lining up behind the middle LB and 3 down lineman was a pretty awesome creation of Entz & Co. Give the Bison an entire off season to prepare for the option and I really like our chances. We held an option team to what, 80 some yards rushing?, and people get worried about them completing a couple of deep balls over the top? Ha, Bisonville.
    It was really just one that bugged me. I think their receiver was singled up against Allison and ran a straight go route with a skinny post and was pretty wide open after 10-15 yards. Looked like the receiver just out-ran the corner. Chalk it up to scheme and first game mistake, or maybe just a really good, fast receiver. I’m good with that, but the #1 thing I’ll be looking at next Saturday is passing defense.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

As good as I think Ty Brooks is at RB I really hope they limit his touches thru the year and save him for playoff football. He seems to get dinged quite often. As deep as the Bison are at RB they could sure watch his numbers. Also, From what i seen in a small sampling on Saturday I hope the Bison get their 2nd string QBs as many reps as possible. Stick going down could be a real eye opener from what i seen in a small sampling.

Any word on what Cain was suspended for? Is it just a one game suspension?

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Any word on what Cain was suspended for? Is it just a one game suspension?
    Yes, 1 game I believe. Coach said it was an in house suspension. He kind of had that Nick Saban look on his face when asked about it......like don't ask anything else about it.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1