Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 FBS Scores/Updates

Default Re: 2018 FBS Scores/Updates

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...rity/81110773/

4 is pointless. OU/ND and Bama/Clemson as regular bowl Games would have been more entertaining. If you’re going to stay at 4, just get rid of it and go back to the old system

But a nice nod to the Bison to kick off the thread

Go Knights!!

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

4 is pointless. OU/ND and Bama/Clemson as regular bowl Games would have been more entertaining. If you’re going to stay at 4, just get rid of it and go back to the old system

Go Knights!!
    A nice nod, yes, but misinformation. NDSU has won 6 of the last 7 and is going for their 7th. Also the poster claims no one outside of the top 3 seeds has won, I believe JMU was the 4 seed when they won.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Go Knights!!

Somebody with the handle ProfFrink posted this on that thread. Some good points on why the FBS should expand their playoffs to at least eight teams:

NDSU is the exception rather than the norm. What they have done is unprecedented at that level

Since seeding started look at the champs before the Bison run (FCS seeded only top 4 until 2010)

Champions
    2004 unseeded James Madison
    2005 #2 App State
    2006 #1 App State
    2007 unseeded App State
    2008 unseeded Richmond
    2009 #2 Villanova
    2010 #5 Eastern Washington

In the 7 years before this run 4 of the champions were not ranked in the top four

If they only used top four many times the best team would have never had a chance to win it all. Every conference champion deserves a shot as there is no other way to definitively say who really is the best team.

As North Dakota State shows, the best team will still rise but there will be no question as to any deserving teams being left out.

8 is the perfect amount if teams that allows all regions of the country to be represented while allowing stronger regions/conferences to place multiple teams.

FCS has a ton of parity as there are always newer teams competing in the playoffs Look at the Southland, almost every team has had a shot at a title in the last 15 years.

If anything, FCS proves the need for expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    A nice nod, yes, but misinformation. NDSU has won 6 of the last 7 and is going for their 7th. Also the poster claims no one outside of the top 3 seeds has won, I believe JMU was the 4 seed when they won.

If you re-read it he was talking about the period during the FBS playoff - 2014 through 2018 and therefore his numbers are correct. Not sure about JMU seed.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    If you re-read it he was talking about the period during the FBS playoff - 2014 through 2018 and therefore his numbers are correct. Not sure about JMU seed.
    The JMU #4 seed is accurate.
    https://www.ncaa.com/game/football/f...recent-stories
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by CoachFSCB View Post
    Some good points on why the FBS should expand their playoffs to at least eight teams
    Another interesting take from that thread – CFP actually kills parity because all the good players want to win a natty. Recent trends in NDSU’s signing classes would seem to support this, but who knows.

Imagine if the NCAA tried to impose parity on D1 FB. I guess you could say this is what they do when they decide which side of the bracket we’re on …

Another interesting take from that thread – CFP actually kills parity because all the good players want to win a natty. Recent trends in NDSU’s signing classes would seem to support this, but who knows.

Imagine if the NCAA tried to impose parity on D1 FB. I guess you could say this is what they do when they decide which side of the bracket we’re on …
    The did it in D2 with the scholarship reductions.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    The did it in D2 with the scholarship reductions.
    ... and how did that come about again?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Makes sense. My bad.

... and how did that come about again?
    On that, I will need to help. All I remember is the NCAA cut the number of D2 scholarships and it had the impact of helping the have-nots. Beyond that, I would need help filling in the particulars.
    Paul Fix