Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Residential college enrollment is down nationwide. Not a big limb to go out on there.
    Not everywhere. VA Tech’s incoming residential freshman class is 1000 students higher than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Not everywhere. VA Tech’s incoming residential freshman class is 1000 students higher than expected.
    UMn has been proactive about this, too...it’ll be interesting to see their numbers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Outliers. What a wild concept.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is still significant demand for residential programs, but it far outstrips current supply.

NDSU is relatively well positioned to deal with this. As we provide a fantastic traditional college experience, have a general openness to provide non-traditional programs, but aren't chasing after distance programs like it hasn't been before and far better than we ever could (cough, UND).

I'm not at all a proponent of most 18 year olds taking distance education classes as they simply lack the drive and discipline to truly engage with knowledge.

If the ND University System was a system, it would look very closely at our current infrastructure, and current and future demands. In most cases, an instructor and a classroom is all that is needed. But we have 11 campuses, all but 3(?) of which are any way from too large to way too large.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    There is still significant demand for residential programs, but it far outstrips current supply.

NDSU is relatively well positioned to deal with this. As we provide a fantastic traditional college experience, have a general openness to provide non-traditional programs, but aren't chasing after distance programs like it hasn't been before and far better than we ever could (cough, UND).

I'm not at all a proponent of most 18 year olds taking distance education classes as they simply lack the drive and discipline to truly engage with knowledge.

If the ND University System was a system, it would look very closely at our current infrastructure, and current and future demands. In most cases, an instructor and a classroom is all that is needed. But we have 11 campuses, all but 3(?) of which are any way from too large to way too large.
    The outstate campuses need to become satellites for the larger universities or GTFO. NDSU and UND are perfectly suited for their roles. UND the professional schools and NDSU for the Ag and Sciences. They are practically on a geographical island.

Commuter colleges and online education have their place. My wife teaches at what essentially is a commuter college, a satellite of the Indiana University system. They have the state carved up for recruiting purposes and allow people who don't want to go live in Bloomington an opportunity to get a IU education.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    The outstate campuses need to become satellites for the larger universities or GTFO. NDSU and UND are perfectly suited for their roles. UND the professional schools and NDSU for the Ag and Sciences. They are practically on a geographical island.

Commuter colleges and online education have their place. My wife teaches at what essentially is a commuter college, a satellite of the Indiana University system. They have the state carved up for recruiting purposes and allow people who don't want to go live in Bloomington an opportunity to get a IU education.
    and NDSCS remain as a trade school. I think someone stated the idea of making all the other state schools community colleges, would probably be ideal then as feeders to UND/NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    and NDSCS remain as a trade school. I think someone stated the idea of making all the other state schools community colleges, would probably be ideal then as feeders to UND/NDSU.
    From what little I know and have seen, this makes sense to me. Make it as seamless as possible for students to either transfer up to 4 year degrees at UND or NDSU or transfer down to two year degrees to the other institutions if they decide a 4 year degree isn't for them. Make it as painless as possible for students to adjust their education and career path once they are into the system.

Another El Chapo Prediction:

Down almost 1000.

My Pitchfork is Sharpened & ready to go.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Another El Chapo Prediction:

Down almost 1000.

My Pitchfork is Sharpened & ready to go.
    So 7% drop?

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    So 7% drop?
    El Chapo don't do math.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?