Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Using the hemp as a renewable fiber source is where there possibly could be a demand but that is to be seen also. The cultivation for human use is not very impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    To derail the thread.

Legalized marijuana will do nothing for farmers.

A little back of the envelope marijuana economics. Let's say we have irrigated production north dakota. yields 5 tons an acre. the average american suddenly consumes two pounds of the stuff. Only need 60,000 acres of the stuff. ND has more than 20 million acres of cropland.

There will inevitably be overproduction and returns close to break even. I'll know that marijuana has officially arrived when it is covered in the farm bill.
    This will eventually be a global market. Canada is going to generate some generational wealth. Even if prices drop, the government will get their tax revenues no matter what and currently they get zero and spend money fighting it. Seeing it in a farm bill would make me laugh. Just because its funny.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Best part is having to deal with this smell popping up all over the place and not being able do anything about it if it's near your home.

I know your comment was in purple but most people do edibles or vaporizers these days. They even had a show on the Food Network

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The cultivation for human use is not very impactful.
    You need to try some Ghost Train Haze. You will feel the impact from that shit.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    This will eventually be a global market. Canada is going to generate some generational wealth. Even if prices drop, the government will get their tax revenues no matter what and currently they get zero and spend money fighting it. Seeing it in a farm bill would make me laugh. Just because its funny.
    If every adult American smoked one joint a day, 10,000 acres of irrigated cropland yielding 5 tons an acre would be more than enough supply the nation for the year.

About 12% of adult Americans use marijuana. You're now down to 1,200 acres. Probably half of users smoke less than once a month, 25% once a week, 25% daily. You're now down to less than 400 acres, or about three pivots, of production. Average ND Joe Farmer could do this himself.

Some ding dongs estimated $132 billion in tax revenue and more than a million new jobs. Horsesh#t. One farmer and a single processor could do this themselves. Much of the tax revenue is estimated to come from new wages and new business, as well as sales tax. It isn't going to cost a farmer $1,000 per acres to grow this stuff, but let's price is at $200/ton. Put it into little packets on a production line for 5 cents an eighth. So the cost of production is almost nil. People will pay a lot more, but only if they have to. Once the novelty wears off and competition sets it, the retail price is going to collapse.

The US might consume four million pounds of the stuff, but it is going to be like produce in the grocery store in my lifetime. (This is all that it is now, but there are for the most part a bunch of novices involved.)

Again, it's not a big deal.
    People don't have a clue how productive commercial agriculture is and they don't have a basic command of economics as economic returns under legalization will be driven to zero.
    Last edited by Bison bison; 08-24-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

How many pot smokers do you think there will be?

New/better math.

If every adult American smoked one joint a day, 10,000 acres of irrigated cropland yielding 5 tons would be more than enough supply for the year.

Sorry, it's not a big deal.

We could also tax tomatoes if the goal is to generate revenue.

It's not about space or quantity. It's about price.

An ounce of weed is about $400 bucks. An ounce of corn is probably a 50 cents.

Worldwide consumption dwarfs the US. Obviously most people won't admit to using it since its illegal

I know your comment was in purple but most people do edibles or vaporizers these days. They even had a show on the Food Network
    I really wish more would take that route as I hate the smell. With that said, I'm glad taxpayer money isn't being wasted on imprisoning individuals involved with the stuff. However, Colorado needs to get its act together in regards to making the funds more available to schools like they promised when the bill was on the ballot a years ago.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I really wish more would take that route as I hate the smell. With that said, I'm glad taxpayer money isn't being wasted on imprisoning individuals involved with the stuff. However, Colorado needs to get its act together in regards to making the funds more available to schools like they promised when the bill was on the ballot a years ago.
    May be misinformed but isn’t the experiment in Colorado showing pretty poor results?

A weed smoking libertarian friend who is big on states rights told me it is failing because all states don’t have marijuana legal so all the low productive weed smokers moved there.

I suggested to them that is the reason for states rights. Allow a state to try it and if they fail other states don’t follow suit.

I don’t really care but seems to me the legalize weed crowd isn’t sticking to any real philosophy on the issue other than “legalize the thing I like.”

One of my favorite Ron Paul moments regarding legalization.

https://youtu.be/GFcuAPjBpiA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about space or quantity. It's about price.

An ounce of weed is about $400 bucks.
    Until it becomes legal and modern agribusiness gets a hold of it.

Want to bet a Coke on what the price will be in a decade? I'll take lower.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Until it becomes legal and modern agribusiness gets a hold of it.

Want to bet a Coke on what the price will be in a decade? I'll take lower.
    I bet it will be more per ounce than corn or wheat and it will be taxed like a motherfucker. Beer prices sure haven't dropped over the years. I dont think I can name a single item at the grocery store that's gone down in price over the last decade.

There's already a shit load of illegal weed on the market and more supply than ever, yet prices aren't dropping. If it's legal, you will see less illegal supply. It would be like selling moonshine when you can go to the liquor store.

But If the price of weed drops, that's a good thing. Even if its cut in half, that's still $200 per ounce