Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    The last thing I heard on enrollment was that ND high school student enrollment at NDSU was stable relative to past years. But MN enrollment is down. MnSCU schools are doing a better job competing for those students, particularly in the Twin Cities. So are other schools in the region. You see Univ of Nebraska and Univ of Missouri planting recruiting staff in the Twin Cities as it is now seen as a ripe market for new students. It doesn't help that we had lame-brained legislators making very public statements about "why are we subsidizing MN kids with low tuition?" They were too dumb to realize many of them go on to become North Dakota residents, and that's good for the state.

Enrollment is important for so many reasons. Obviously, revenues drop with enrollment decline. But it also impacts our rating and prestige. Many folks outside of campus may not realize this, but our fall from the highest Carnegie research status as a university is in part due to our size. We actually increased in research the year we fell out. But when Indiana University took over the Carnegie classifications, the formula changed. It made it very difficult for a public university of our size to stay in that highest category. This is why getting to 18,000 students was so important. That number, with a boost in grad student numbers, is seen as the critical mass level for having the volume of research necessary to be in that highest ranking.

NDSU is a gem for the state. I suppose UND is as well. But the political short-sightedness when it comes to lack of support (financial and moral) for our research universities from our politicians is so frustrating. I think they long for the days when NDSU was just a solid regional masters university.
    Statewide Minnesota admissions were down 2.1% last year but Moorhead State has 2 years of growth and a huge chunk of them are from Cass and Clay county. 25% to be exact. They were up in the spring as well. Curious how their fall numbers look. Clearly they have done a good job over the last few years while UND and NDSU are dropping.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Burgum might be crazy enough to try.
    Yeah, the legislature loves him.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    The last thing I heard on enrollment was that ND high school student enrollment at NDSU was stable relative to past years. But MN enrollment is down. MnSCU schools are doing a better job competing for those students, particularly in the Twin Cities. So are other schools in the region. You see Univ of Nebraska and Univ of Missouri planting recruiting staff in the Twin Cities as it is now seen as a ripe market for new students ...
    This is spot on. MnSCU totally spanked us on this and nobody here was bright enough to see it coming. Either that or they didn't care. Very disappointing and people should lose their jobs for it, IMO. That simple. Enrollment is becoming a primary source of $$ for colleges/universities.

Burgum might be crazy enough to try.
    Uhh...didn't he do some budget cutting in the tune of ~$50M in ND higher education funding earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Uhh...didn't he do some budget cutting in the tune of ~$50M in ND higher education funding earlier this year?
    I have to say that I’m a little disappointed with Burgum here, although he’s in a tough spot. He’s got a state legislature that harbors anomalous hostility toward higher ed (mostly because of the RR valley, but it goes deeper than that) and a voting public that hates change of any kind. Not much he can do.

Looking at demographics, I would merge the smaller schools as ‘satellites’ under the administrative umbrellas of NDSU and UND, keeping faculty but gutting administration. But then nothing fights for its life like a dying bureaucrat …

Of course, this seems to imply constitutional change, which as I understand it would have to be a ballot initiative? In this regard, I’ll be very curious to see how the whole ‘legal weed’ thing shakes out, not from the perspective of higher ed (although evidence from CO suggests this would indeed lead to higher enrollments) but because of the scenario where the voters actually approve it and the legislature has to respond. That could be very interesting …

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I have to say that I’m a little disappointed with Burgum here, although he’s in a tough spot. He’s got a state legislature that harbors anomalous hostility toward higher ed (mostly because of the RR valley, but it goes deeper than that) and a voting public that hates change of any kind. Not much he can do.

Looking at demographics, I would merge the smaller schools as ‘satellites’ under the administrative umbrellas of NDSU and UND, keeping faculty but gutting administration. But then nothing fights for its life like a dying bureaucrat …

Of course, this seems to imply constitutional change, which as I understand it would have to be a ballot initiative? In this regard, I’ll be very curious to see how the whole ‘legal weed’ thing shakes out, not from the perspective of higher ed (although evidence from CO suggests this would indeed lead to higher enrollments) but because of the scenario where the voters actually approve it and the legislature has to respond. That could be very interesting …
    Some schools like Bottineau and Mayville are just too small and have less than a thousand students each. The market is proving they are not needed.

The legal weed bill (Measure 3) is great on all levels. Less people incarcerated, less court costs, less drug dealers, and in time it will be taxed and generate some positive revenue while cutting court costs and letting police focus on real problems. Some day when the federal government goes the route of Canada and full legalization, it could be a boom for farmers. Whether its hemp or full fledged cannabis. Canada is in the process of becoming the largest weed exporter on the planet. Billions with a B. There is a bill out there right now in Congress to legalize hemp federally and allow states to put the money into the banking system. We will be a step ahead of the game while other states will be playing catch up.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

I completely agree with this. How would you propose which University gets to pull which colleges/satellite under it's umbrella, in a fair way? Location? Would total students have to be relatively even?

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    I completely agree with this. How would you propose which University gets to pull which colleges/satellite under it's umbrella, in a fair way? Location? Would total students have to be relatively even?
    Maybe there’d be a battle not to take them? You’d get to cut administrative overhead but if there are really too many locations and not enough students you’d get saddled with a ton of inefficient infrastructure and related maintenance.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

The legal weed bill (Measure 3) is great on all levels. Less people incarcerated, less court costs, less drug dealers, and in time it will be taxed and generate some positive revenue while cutting court costs and letting police focus on real problems. Some day when the federal government goes the route of Canada and full legalization, it could be a boom for farmers. Whether its hemp or full fledged cannabis. Canada is in the process of becoming the largest weed exporter on the planet. Billions with a B. There is a bill out there right now in Congress to legalize hemp federally and allow states to put the money into the banking system. We will be a step ahead of the game while other states will be playing catch up.
    To derail the thread.

Legalized marijuana will do nothing for farmers.

A little back of the envelope marijuana economics. Let's say we have irrigated production north dakota. yields 5 tons an acre. the average american suddenly consumes two pounds of the stuff. Only need 60,000 acres of the stuff. ND has more than 20 million acres of cropland.

There will inevitably be overproduction and returns close to break even. I'll know that marijuana has officially arrived when it is covered in the farm bill.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

To derail the thread.

Legalized marijuana will do nothing for farmers.

A little back of the envelope marijuana economics. Let's say we have irrigated production north dakota. yields 5 tons an acre. the average american suddenly consumes two pounds of the stuff. Only need 60,000 acres of the stuff. ND has more than 20 million acres of cropland.

There will inevitably be overproduction and returns close to break even. I'll know that marijuana has officially arrived when it is covered in the farm bill.
    Best part is having to deal with this smell popping up all over the place and not being able do anything about it if it's near your home.

Hail the BISON!!!