Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

also the idea that degrees are less useful than ever is nonsense. More and more of the economy is based around advanced technology.

The problem is that that hasn't panned out in wages, because more and more of the economy is controlled by fewer and fewer organizations. Big businesses are price setters for wages in many fields.

While we're ragging on history minors, its worth nothing that history and philosophy both pay better than a business degree, because they actually learn how to write, do research, and think. That doesn't happen with business degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Like some of your ideas, not all.

We don't need 6 different tech institutions with separate administration. We need one with multiple campuses.
    Agreed.......

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    also the idea that degrees are less useful than ever is nonsense. More and more of the economy is based around advanced technology.

The problem is that that hasn't panned out in wages, because more and more of the economy is controlled by fewer and fewer organizations. Big businesses are price setters for wages in many fields.

While we're ragging on history minors, its worth nothing that history and philosophy both pay better than a business degree, because they actually learn how to write, do research, and think. That doesn't happen with business degrees.
    I have a Speech Communication degree and have worked in the tech industry for years. My last job was a medical software company that required a degree.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crazy.

My three year already knows how to talk. Buy her a NDSU sweatshirt and she'll be good to go
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

My current job is with medical software and a college degree (in any subject) was one of the requirements. I only used my teaching degree at NDSU for a few years and decided that wasn't the career for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I have a Speech Communication degree and have worked in the tech industry for years. My last job was a medical software company that required a degree.
    It's OK to not be OK.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When do we see actual enrollment numbers? Have those been released yet?
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Bresicani building more dorms on campus is definitely a gamble. I believe enrollment at brick and mortar universities has topped out considering the declining birth rate and the increase in online degrees. Even if there is some consolidation with smaller higher ed campuses closing down, I don't think that will move the enrollment needle much.

My son is a freshman at the Naval Academy in Annapolis this year and when I went to his plebe summer "graduation", I was surprised at the lack of the modernization of the infrastructure to the campus. There was a lot of narrow two lane streets. I came to the realization that what they have serves its purpose and has for 100+ years. Their total enrollment is always going to be in the 4,500-5000 with each new class always in the 1,200 range.

My point being that 15,000 students at NDSU could very well be the top and staying there could be a challenge. I hope that the idea behind NDSU's new buildings is to make them more energy efficient and techno friendly so that we can continue to attract the dwindling enrollment pool.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Bresicani building more dorms on campus is definitely a gamble. I believe enrollment at brick and mortar universities has topped out considering the declining birth rate and the increase in online degrees. Even if there is some consolidation with smaller higher ed campuses closing down, I don't think that will move the enrollment needle much.

My son is a freshman at the Naval Academy in Annapolis this year and when I went to his plebe summer "graduation", I was surprised at the lack of the modernization of the infrastructure to the campus. There was a lot of narrow two lane streets. I came to the realization that what they have serves its purpose and has for 100+ years. Their total enrollment is always going to be in the 4,500-5000 with each new class always in the 1,200 range.

My point being that 15,000 students at NDSU could very well be the top and staying there could be a challenge. I hope that the idea behind NDSU's new buildings is to make them more energy efficient and techno friendly so that we can continue to attract the dwindling enrollment pool.
    Also to build up enough inventory so that the older-style dorms can be torn down eventually. Building so many dorms of the same style back in the 60s-70s has created something of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post

Its a college campus, the roads are narrow on purpose, not because the infrastructure hasn’t been modernized.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

As much as I enjoyed living in Reed hall twenty years ago, today's tit baby freshmen don't want communal bathrooms.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."