Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I think it is a fact that legalizing the smoke will lead to "higher" student enrollments.
    Sorry, I guess the drift is my fault. FWIW, I see neither panacea nor doomsday. States that hop on first will see a $$ bump (see CO), while those that wait to be last will see nothing. But in the end BB is right – it’ll be no more different than tax revenue on liquor, probably even much less in a state like ND. Industrial hemp has potential but it remains to be seen. It could impact the paper industry significantly, for example, because it grows much quicker than poplar or jackpine.

I expect MN to go full legal soon, but if you had asked me just 2 years ago, I would have pegged MN and ND to be among the last. I have no doubt that the ND legislature would squirm with tremendous discomfort if the voters actually approve it, even going so far as to try to stop it. That’s why I find the measure so interesting politically.

Back to students – It seems the legislature has built in a penalty for drops in enrollment that turns this into a double whammy. Do I have that right? What’s the logic? This strikes me as regressive. If you want the schools to be self sufficient, you want them to have as high an enrollment as possible (Port is being a hypocrite here and is just showing his true feelings about higher ed, especially NDSU). When enrollment drops, the state should up support, not cut it, to help the whole enterprise survive the downturn. Everything ND does wrt higher ed strikes me as backwards. Why is that? You need schools like NDSU and UND to build new industries and attract new workers. I’m truly baffled sometimes by what comes out of Bismarck …

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Does it not seem odd to you for the government to explicitly benefit from higher consumption of drugs?
    Idk, does it bother you they are profiting already on "higher consumption of drugs"?
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Sorry, I guess the drift is my fault. FWIW, I see neither panacea nor doomsday. States that hop on first will see a $$ bump (see CO), while those that wait to be last will see nothing. But in the end BB is right – it’ll be no more different than tax revenue on liquor, probably even much less in a state like ND. Industrial hemp has potential but it remains to be seen. It could impact the paper industry significantly, for example, because it grows much quicker than poplar or jackpine.

I expect MN to go full legal soon, but if you had asked me just 2 years ago, I would have pegged MN and ND to be among the last. I have no doubt that the ND legislature would squirm with tremendous discomfort if the voters actually approve it, even going so far as to try to stop it. That’s why I find the measure so interesting politically.

Back to students – It seems the legislature has built in a penalty for drops in enrollment that turns this into a double whammy. Do I have that right? What’s the logic? This strikes me as regressive. If you want the schools to be self sufficient, you want them to have as high an enrollment as possible (Port is being a hypocrite here and is just showing his true feelings about higher ed, especially NDSU). When enrollment drops, the state should up support, not cut it, to help the whole enterprise survive the downturn. Everything ND does wrt higher ed strikes me as backwards. Why is that? You need schools like NDSU and UND to build new industries and attract new workers. I’m truly baffled sometimes by what comes out of Bismarck …
    They wrote the law pretty vaguely so they can fill in the blanks. I fully expect it to look completely different than it is written. Even if it is, its significant progress. However it effects farming is to be seen but I think we can all agree that by decriminalizing it, it will put us in a better place if it does take off and we have plenty of land and farmers who have the skills to grow hemp or cannabis.

In a dream scenario we become a huge exporter and the economy booms. Worst case, nobody grows it. The truth is probably somewhere in between

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

someone can start a 2019 thread.

but here's my prediction.

Lower.... get your pitchforks sharpened
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    someone can start a 2019 thread.

but here's my prediction.

Lower.... get your pitchforks sharpened
    Residential college enrollment is down nationwide. Not a big limb to go out on there.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Residential college enrollment is down nationwide. Not a big limb to go out on there.
    just watch. be prepared

just watch. be prepared
    You don’t want to know

I guess betting the farm on a residential model wasn’t such a great idea. FWIW, 10 years is a long time to be president at a university, even if you’re a successful one …

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    But this way he can say he broke the news. You know, Pulitzer and all.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

just watch. be prepared
    Looking at apartment vacancies and talking to area businesses people, based on their lack of business I predict a huge drop

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    But this way he can say he broke the news. You know, Pulitzer and all.
    dont wanna break this news, but im just saying. "Hold your butts"