Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I think you forgot to include engineer/scientist, which requires AT LEAST a 4-year degree. I'd say these jobs are much much more numerous than what you list.

However, what you say is generally true.

Are you defending him? Because I'm starting to genuinely dislike the guy ...
    Obviously there are more jobs that would require a 4 year degree, but i wasn't going to google them all to get every single one

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    college attendance is down nationwide over the last few years, it's not just an NDSU issue.
    People are realizing you don't need to go to college to get a good job and make money, and add in the fact that young people can become entrepreneurs much easier now days with the internet and it's not surprising. To be honest, I learned nothing in college, and every single job i've ever had, not a single one of them asked me if I went to college. I work in the tech industry for a very large tech company in the area (not hard to guess which one) and even they did not ask about my college degree.

Unless your going to be in a very specific trade (IE doctor, lawyer, dentist) it's really not necessary to go to college.
    I think tech colleges will actually become more popular in the next decade, as they teach a very specific trade for the most part, whereas a four year school mostly teaches general bullshit. Add in the fact that online colleges will increase in numbers...why spend 3x as much to go to an actual school when you can get the same info from an online college?
    Yep, it's getting harder and harder to justify the expense of a four year degree because costs have spiraled out of control. I can't understand where all the money goes, it's ridiculous. There are all sorts of options for online training and certification these days. If colleges don't figure out a way to change their model to be more efficient a lot of them will not survive.

People here love to give UND crap about their online students but at least they are trying to modernize.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    college attendance is down nationwide over the last few years, it's not just an NDSU issue.
    People are realizing you don't need to go to college to get a good job and make money, and add in the fact that young people can become entrepreneurs much easier now days with the internet and it's not surprising. To be honest, I learned nothing in college, and every single job i've ever had, not a single one of them asked me if I went to college. I work in the tech industry for a very large tech company in the area (not hard to guess which one) and even they did not ask about my college degree.

Unless your going to be in a very specific trade (IE doctor, lawyer, dentist) it's really not necessary to go to college.
    I think tech colleges will actually become more popular in the next decade, as they teach a very specific trade for the most part, whereas a four year school mostly teaches general bullshit. Add in the fact that online colleges will increase in numbers...why spend 3x as much to go to an actual school when you can get the same info from an online college?
    I agree. I think this is the future. Unless my kid gets a scholarship to a 4 yr college, I'm pushing him the opposite direction. I too never learned a damn thing in college and my work doesn't depend on it. I wish the U.S. would go the European route, more specifically, the UK system. Where they concentrate more on your major and you're done in 3 years. No wasted time on money grabbing courses that have nothing to do with anything. And they actually start their college degrees in high school (pros and cons). This is the system I see the U.S. going in the near future...hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    I agree. I think this is the future. Unless my kid gets a scholarship to a 4 yr college, I'm pushing him the opposite direction. I too never learned a damn thing in college and my work doesn't depend on it. I wish the U.S. would go the European route, more specifically, the UK system. Where they concentrate more on your major and you're done in 3 years. No wasted time on money grabbing courses that have nothing to do with anything. And they actually start their college degrees in high school (pros and cons). This is the system I see the U.S. going in the near future...hopefully.
    Many HS have dual credit courses so it's already happening to a very small scale.

In regards to needing a 4 year degree I sure hope more employees realize this and start looking at the trade school degrees and experience more. Seems to me I felt like I got passed over a bit because I had an AAS degree rather than a BS degree but maybe that's just my perception. That said my current company didn't.

Lot of kids seem to have a ton of college credits before setting foot on campus. (Insert meme of freshman saying "I'm technically a sophomore meme)
    College of Business Alumnus

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not sure it's fair to pin this all on DB. _ND had to take 5 of it's 14 dorms offline for this school year and their freshman class numbers are down again. It's a systemic problem among higher education. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze right now. As a resident of North Dakota I wish we would two things. The first is to use some of that oil money to permanantly endow partial scholarships for all high school graduates so that the cost to attend college is more affordable. The second would be to prioritize NDSCS and it's programs by creating a new and completely seperate Tech system that includes Williston, Bottineau, and DL. In fact, rename NDSCS as North Dakota Tech and the rest as Williston Tech etc. It's the future and frankly the best choice for a huge chunk of students who want to specialize in a trade or something tech related. It makes a lot more sense to do that and get a job right away that pays 45-60k then getting a history degree at NDSU and working at Starbucks for 12.50 while you figure things out.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Not sure it's fair to pin this all on DB. _ND had to take 5 of it's 14 dorms offline for this school year and their freshman class numbers are down again. It's a systemic problem among higher education. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze right now. As a resident of North Dakota I wish we would two things. The first is to use some of that oil money to permanantly endow partial scholarships for all high school graduates so that the cost to attend college is more affordable. The second would be to prioritize NDSCS and it's programs by creating a new and completely seperate Tech system that includes Williston, Bottineau, and DL. In fact, rename NDSCS as North Dakota Tech and the rest as Williston Tech etc. It's the future and frankly the best choice for a huge chunk of students who want to specialize in a trade or something tech related. It makes a lot more sense to do that and get a job right away that pays 45-60k then getting a history degree at NDSU and working at Starbucks for 12.50 while you figure things out.
    SHHH we dumped this news Friday at 7pm SHHH
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Like some of your ideas, not all.

We don't need 6 different tech institutions with separate administration. We need one with multiple campuses.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    Bresciani has always been a smoke and mirrors President. Under him we have seen a decline in our Carnegie research classification from the highest level of research designation which is an R1 institution to an R2 institution. There has been a decline in graduate students and research which preceded this drop and was then made worse when this drop occurred. His hires and staff have created discontent within the faculty. There e been issues with the research and technology park, nanotechnology and his VP for Research. There were issues with his hire for Provost.

He needs to go. The question is who would we trust to hire a replacement? I am not sure I would trust the Chancellor, Governor or the State Board. They all seem lined up against NDSU.
    research at NDSU is down because those portions of the federal budget have been decimated
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.