Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Bresciani has always been a smoke and mirrors President. Under him we have seen a decline in our Carnegie research classification from the highest level of research designation which is an R1 institution to an R2 institution. There has been a decline in graduate students and research which preceded this drop and was then made worse when this drop occurred. His hires and staff have created discontent within the faculty. There e been issues with the research and technology park, nanotechnology and his VP for Research. There were issues with his hire for Provost.

He needs to go. The question is who would we trust to hire a replacement? I am not sure I would trust the Chancellor, Governor or the State Board. They all seem lined up against NDSU.

I guess we’re going public then.

I came off the every-so-safe-and-comfortable lurk to defend the guy after he needlessly threw ML under the bus to save himself, so at this point I feel entitled to offer criticism.

All of the below are from reliable sources:

He goes to a tech innovation conference in research park and gives a talk about Bison football

When pressed about why he wouldn’t aggressively fund raise for the new chemistry building, his response was “I don't want the legislature to think we don’t need their money”

When pressed about why he wouldn’t fire Kelly Rusch (a complete and utter disaster for NDSU), his response was “I don't want to get in trouble for firing a woman”

He hires a “chief-of-staff” to basically run the place while he’s out pocketing personal $$ talking about Bison football

He sounds like he’s off his rocker by stating the goal of AAU status for NDSU

If that’s not enough, Port is recently on record as saying he’s doing a great job.

This guy won the lottery the day he got this job and he’s been milking it ever since. He’s a great ribbon cutter though …

Thank God ML is the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    It's even worse when you factor in the 'penalty' that Bismarck will impose on NDSU for losing this tuition $$. I know, brilliant, brilliant stuff …

I can identify three potential reasons for the drop. The first is demographics, and ND higher ed is very poorly positioned to deal with this. I’m sorry to have to say that. While in-state demographics look good, the system was installed anticipating a much, much higher state population than reality. The second could be political in nature. NDSU has enjoyed a healthy number of MN students in the past, but it’s possible that such students (MN is a blue state) are put off by the current political climate. That’s all I’m going to say on that given the rules of this board, no matter how any trolls from either side respond.

The third and most easily addressable is leadership, and I’ve made my opinions on this clear. If people want to discuss this in more detail we should probably take it to the smack thread.
    I dont know if the political theory really sticks. Who knows though. Not like NDSU has a reputation for being very political like Liberty or Cal-Berkeley.

If families are not sending their kids to schools based on which presidential candidate a state voted for, not sure you really want those kids anyway. Their parents have cognitive problems.
    College of Business Alumnus

The unemployment rate has historically affected college enrollment. The lower the rate, less students in school.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    The unemployment rate has historically affected college enrollment. The lower the rate, less students in school.
    Watch NDSU hit 20,000 in the next recession. Cost of living and low tuition will push it through the roof. The only thing missing is demand since the job market is so slanted to employees currently.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

W
    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Watch NDSU hit 20,000 in the next recession. Cost of living and low tuition will push it through the roof. The only thing missing is demand since the job market is so slanted to employees currently.
    The university model is broken and is enrollments will continue to decline. A president with zero vision to notice this is the issue. .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    W

The university model is broken and is enrollments will continue to decline. A president with zero vision to notice this is the issue. .
    What changes would you propose? Honestly other than online courses and closing/consolidating campuses I cant think of many.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    What changes would you propose? Honestly other than online courses and closing/consolidating campuses I cant think of many.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    We have to work on recruiting...we're losing many of the Minnesota students that we used to get--UMn has increased their scholarship amounts, and SD, Iowa, and Wisconsin are hitting the twin cities harder than they used to. We have more competition now, and we haven't adjusted well.

The draconian budget cuts have made people realize that the state of ND is not interested in funding education, Minnesota is.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SD has or had a billboard up on I29. "New ND students pay instate tuition" or something like that

The market is quite competitive right now for students. I have no problem with a bit of a price war for the student dollar.

Competition is good for the marketplace.