Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Default 2018 Enrollment Numbers

Yuck. I guess it's nice to be bigger than UND again, but this is not the way to do it. I'm sure the numbers will come up a bit by the end of the third week, but still...

Fall 2017 numbers (after 3 weeks)
    NDSU: 14,358
    UND: 14,406

Fall 2018 numbers (day 1)
    NDSU: 13,650
    UND: 13,445

http://www.inforum.com/news/educatio...y-numbers-show

Default Re: 2018 Enrollment Numbers

That's a bit surprising. Seems like nationwide, enrollment is dropping but I haven't seen any numbers.

I wouldn't put much stock into 1 school year. State population has been flat. If it drops again next year, it would be concerning. Maybe 14k is the new norm and its leveling off

Who knows it could be a combination of higher standards, increasing tuition, flat population, and declining funding. Or it could just be a fluke.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Periods of high employment puts downward pressure on enrollment.

533 In a row

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

State gutting funding does much help IMO

Maybe it doesn't have any effect, but you have to think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Yuck. I guess it's nice to be bigger than UND again, but this is not the way to do it. I'm sure the numbers will come up a bit by the end of the third week, but still...

Fall 2017 numbers (after 3 weeks)
    NDSU: 14,358
    UND: 14,406

Fall 2018 numbers (day 1)
    NDSU: 13,650
    UND: 13,445

http://www.inforum.com/news/educatio...y-numbers-show
    I'll take bets that when all is said and done UN_ will pass us. Not that they would fudge their numbers.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Looking at national numbers, enrollment has been plummeting for 6 straight years. Less high school students and rising costs play a role. State funding is an issue most places.

My big picture theory is the federal government ruined college by guaranteeing all these student loans without screening them like a normal loan. It gives schools little or no incentive to keep the cost down since for years they had an unlimited numbers of paying customers with no risk since federal loans are guaranteed. Meanwhile college enrollment exploded and now it's all leveling out since prices are high and students dont want this much debt.

Not saying that's NDSU and UNDs problem but nationally it is.

I think the state needs to consider amending the Constitution and cutting a couple of ND schools. Way too many.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I think the state needs to consider amending the Constitution and cutting a couple of ND schools. Way too many.
    It should be done but it won't.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Burgum might be crazy enough to try.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

The last school to close in ND was Ellendale in 1970, which gives me an idea about how to solve the problem.
    Paul Fix

The last thing I heard on enrollment was that ND high school student enrollment at NDSU was stable relative to past years. But MN enrollment is down. MnSCU schools are doing a better job competing for those students, particularly in the Twin Cities. So are other schools in the region. You see Univ of Nebraska and Univ of Missouri planting recruiting staff in the Twin Cities as it is now seen as a ripe market for new students. It doesn't help that we had lame-brained legislators making very public statements about "why are we subsidizing MN kids with low tuition?" They were too dumb to realize many of them go on to become North Dakota residents, and that's good for the state.

Enrollment is important for so many reasons. Obviously, revenues drop with enrollment decline. But it also impacts our rating and prestige. Many folks outside of campus may not realize this, but our fall from the highest Carnegie research status as a university is in part due to our size. We actually increased in research the year we fell out. But when Indiana University took over the Carnegie classifications, the formula changed. It made it very difficult for a public university of our size to stay in that highest category. This is why getting to 18,000 students was so important. That number, with a boost in grad student numbers, is seen as the critical mass level for having the volume of research necessary to be in that highest ranking.

NDSU is a gem for the state. I suppose UND is as well. But the political short-sightedness when it comes to lack of support (financial and moral) for our research universities from our politicians is so frustrating. I think they long for the days when NDSU was just a solid regional masters university.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.