Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newman Center project

Default Re: Newman Center project

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    This project is better than some of the boarded up crack houses on the block.
    The second part, not the first part.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The height of the proposed building in the south half of the block is going to be their biggest roadblock in getting the zoning changes approved by the city. Another developer has run into this issue with their proposed building on 14th street, just south of the credit union building. They have been dealing with the city for over a year and nothing has been changed for them at this point.

I'm not sure of the need for the large apartment building for the purpose of having a larger Newman Center to serve the campus. Maybe it is tied to a large donation that Roers has made to the project. The name "Roers Hall" appears on the faith based housing building in the drawings of the project on the Catholic website. They don't say whether this portion of the project will be owned by the Diocese of Fargo or by Roers. All of the property in the block is currently owned by the Diocese, the Newman Center, or by NC Investments (Roers).

As someone has already stated, their are probably no elementary school students currently living in this block and probably not too many families searching for homes in this area. A large portion of the property between 10th St and University and between the railroad tracks and 12th Ave is in pretty poor condition right now.

The church has raised $15.1 million of the their $21.5 million goal as of July 31st.

533 In a row

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think this project would be better flipped North/South, with the church on the backside facing the neighborhood. That would fit in better aesthetically, though I can see why they'd want the main entrance on that corner.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I think this project would be better flipped North/South, with the church on the backside facing the neighborhood. That would fit in better aesthetically, though I can see why they'd want the main entrance on that corner.
    Except the whole thing about the church already being there.
    Hail Hydra.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    Except the whole thing about the church already being there.
    I don't see any remnants of the current church in that rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    The height of the proposed building in the south half of the block is going to be their biggest roadblock in getting the zoning changes approved by the city. Another developer has run into this issue with their proposed building on 14th street, just south of the credit union building. They have been dealing with the city for over a year and nothing has been changed for them at this point.

I'm not sure of the need for the large apartment building for the purpose of having a larger Newman Center to serve the campus. Maybe it is tied to a large donation that Roers has made to the project. The name "Roers Hall" appears on the faith based housing building in the drawings of the project on the Catholic website. They don't say whether this portion of the project will be owned by the Diocese of Fargo or by Roers. All of the property in the block is currently owned by the Diocese, the Newman Center, or by NC Investments (Roers).

As someone has already stated, their are probably no elementary school students currently living in this block and probably not too many families searching for homes in this area. A large portion of the property between 10th St and University and between the railroad tracks and 12th Ave is in pretty poor condition right now.

The church has raised $15.1 million of the their $21.5 million goal as of July 31st.
    What the issue with the height?

I think it will pass since it's a block away from commercial to the south and to the north there is already commercial. Plus Churches are typically in residential neighborhoods.

As far as the tax breaks go, I am not a fan but churches are in a different category for taxes.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 08-22-2018 at 06:37 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Just a add some context that you will have a hard time finding on this.

I was approached by the Newman Center to contribute to this project during the silent phase close to 2 years ago. I have to greatly admire how bold and forward thinking they are with this. Some other details:

1. They consider themselves one of the best Newman Centers in the country. In an era of declining church attendance, they have a crazy successful program going. They have outgrown their chapel and also need more space for their social activities. (They even have male cigar parties, and things you'd never think of at a Christian center.) They have a vision that reminds you of Bison Football.
    2. They want to fill a void left when the seminary in Fargo closed; they really have no where for people who are discerning possible vocations and they want a space to put them if they are not ready yet to "pull the trigger" on going to a major seminary. (Note the old seminary was a minor seminary meaning they all had to go on to a major seminary prior to ordination. Note, I think you have to have a BS or BA degree before major seminary, as well.) In other words, it could be a minor seminary, light.
    3. They have been actively in discussions with NDSU for this. They have engaged senior administration and it is very likely NDSU will actively use some of their space for classes, etc. NDSU has been very supportive even though they are not the driver of this. This will probably doom them with Fargo....don't tell anyone; they may think it is a plot to expand tailgating.
    4. If memory serves (been a long time), yes, they also wanted to help provide housing to other NDSU students, not just those considering vocations.
    5. I did not nearly have the deep pockets they pegged me for.

Just some stuff you may not know from an old Newman Center member.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

I was approached by the Newman Center to contribute to this project during the silent phase close to 2 years ago. I have to greatly admire how bold and forward thinking they are with this. Some other details:

1. They consider themselves one of the best Newman Centers in the country. In an era of declining church attendance, they have a crazy successful program going. They have outgrown their chapel and also need more space for their social activities. (They even have male cigar parties, and things you'd never think of at a Christian center.) They have a vision that reminds you of Bison Football.
    2. They want to fill a void left when the seminary in Fargo closed; they really have no where for people who are discerning possible vocations and they want a space to put them if they are not ready yet to "pull the trigger" on going to a major seminary. (Note the old seminary was a minor seminary meaning they all had to go on to a major seminary prior to ordination. Note, I think you have to have a BS or BA degree before major seminary, as well.) In other words, it could be a minor seminary, light.
    3. They have been actively in discussions with NDSU for this. They have engaged senior administration and it is very likely NDSU will actively use some of their space for classes, etc. NDSU has been very supportive even though they are not the driver of this. This will probably doom them with Fargo....don't tell anyone; they may think it is a plot to expand tailgating.
    4. If memory serves (been a long time), yes, they also wanted to help provide housing to other NDSU students, not just those considering vocations.

Good stuff. I'm not religious myself but I think this churches do great things for the community and having a great facility like this kitty corner from campus is a win win.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

A couple of years ago my son, who was a student at NDSU, was having serious questions about his Catholic faith. Our home parish priest suggested he contact Msgr. Schlesselmann from the Fargo Newman center for help. He called 2-3 times and left a message, plea, for help. No return call. I called 2 times asking that they please contact my son and was told someone would. No one ever called him. Around that time I also was contacted to make a contribution. I explained they wouldn't get a dime from me and why. They told me they were sorry Msgr. Schlesselmann never returned the calls for help. I asked if they were going to confront him him about not returning calls, never received an answer. I told person that if I would have left a message telling them I would make a contribution if Msgr returned my call that I bet he would have called back in less than a day. She didn't deny that. It still upsets me to no end today on how this was handled. I don't know Msgr., but from this experience with him, have serious doubts on his character.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonbuddy View Post
    A couple of years ago my son, who was a student at NDSU, was having serious questions about his Catholic faith. Our home parish priest suggested he contact Msgr. Schlesselmann from the Fargo Newman center for help. He called 2-3 times and left a message, plea, for help. No return call. I called 2 times asking that they please contact my son and was told someone would. No one ever called him. Around that time I also was contacted to make a contribution. I explained they wouldn't get a dime from me and why. They told me they were sorry Msgr. Schlesselmann never returned the calls for help. I asked if they were going to confront him him about not returning calls, never received an answer. I told person that if I would have left a message telling them I would make a contribution if Msgr returned my call that I bet he would have called back in less than a day. She didn't deny that. It still upsets me to no end today on how this was handled. I don't know Msgr., but from this experience with him, have serious doubts on his character.
    Hope he is not the type that has gotten so into building the Church, that he has forgotten he also needs to tend the flock......sadly, it is all too common in today's church. (BTW, never met him, personally so don't know much about him, as a person.)