Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newman Center project

Default Re: Newman Center project

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I don't think it's really a NIMBY situation. Some context is needed to understand why people are upset.

The section of Fargo between Main and 19th is serviced by three elementary schools: Washington(Broadway and 19th - near Fargo North), Madison(near the I-29/12th Ave Stamart - south of the old 12th Ave Stop-N-Go), and Horace Mann/Roosevelt(two schools - K-2 & 3-5). All of these schools are under capacity and the district is already looking at closing one of them and splitting the kids between the two others. Because Horace Mann and Roosevelt are two of the oldest buildings left in the district, it's likely those schools will be the ones closed. If that happens, most of the kids in the area in question will be bused across the 12th Ave viaduct to Madison.

When you hear residents talking about how this project could be the death of their neighborhood, what they mean is that the loss of single family homes between this project and the project across from the SHAC with cross the tipping point in regards to Roosevelt enrollment. The district won't be able to justify keeping it open, and when that happens the desirability of that area for families will plummet. It could start a death spiral for that whole area.

OTOH, it's also not right to artificially freeze an area forever. I feel for the residents affected, but I think that area of Fargo needs to change. Still, we shouldn't just dismiss their concerns out of hand or act like they're just being selfish assholes. That whole area has been mostly single family homes for 80+ years. The increase in NDSU enrollment and demands for additional student housing has only picked up in the last decade or two.
    Fair point. They’re suggesting that enrollment will further decline as a direct result of this project. Others are suggesting there aren’t very many families with elementary aged kids who are going to be displaced by converting what were/are single family structures to something designed for higher density housing because few of those structures are actually single family units today. Does anyone know who’s actually more correct on that point?

I’m not unsympathetic to their situation but it seems like the change that needs to happen is probably here and their version of that neighborhood isn’t coming back. What’s their plan to induce 20 young families to come live on that block instead?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

No young family is going to want to move into that part of town. I feel for them that everything is changing but they are kind of clinging to a fantasy at this point.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

OTOH, it's also not right to artificially freeze an area forever. I feel for the residents affected, but I think that area of Fargo needs to change. Still, we shouldn't just dismiss their concerns out of hand or act like they're just being selfish assholes. That whole area has been mostly single family homes for 80+ years. The increase in NDSU enrollment and demands for additional student housing has only picked up in the last decade or two.
    They're delusional assholes.

I used to live in that neighborhood and was active in the neighborhood association. They were worse than Gatsby thinking they could turn back time to a place that never was.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I don't think it's really a NIMBY situation. Some context is needed to understand why people are upset.

The section of Fargo between Main and 19th is serviced by three elementary schools: Washington(Broadway and 19th - near Fargo North), Madison(near the I-29/12th Ave Stamart - south of the old 12th Ave Stop-N-Go), and Horace Mann/Roosevelt(two schools - K-2 & 3-5). All of these schools are under capacity and the district is already looking at closing one of them and splitting the kids between the two others. Because Horace Mann and Roosevelt are two of the oldest buildings left in the district, it's likely those schools will be the ones closed. If that happens, most of the kids in the area in question will be bused across the 12th Ave viaduct to Madison.

When you hear residents talking about how this project could be the death of their neighborhood, what they mean is that the loss of single family homes between this project and the project across from the SHAC with cross the tipping point in regards to Roosevelt enrollment. The district won't be able to justify keeping it open, and when that happens the desirability of that area for families will plummet. It could start a death spiral for that whole area.

I see their point but I doubt any of those houses are occupied by families with kids and never will. It's all college rentals. That part of town isnt going to be revitalized with people who want to build houses essential in the middle of a college campus. Supply and demand says apartments.

If an entire school is hinged on this block, the market says it's time to close it down.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I once puked on the lawn of the Trinity Lutheran Church in Staples, MN early on one cold November morning on the way to deer camp when I was about 14 so if the God of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is the One True God, I may be in trouble.

To actually add to the conversation, the two houses just South of the Newman Center have been owned by the diocese for a couple of decades if not more and for some time housed students as male and female houses. I can confirm that the house directly South of them and the house South of the current Newman Center parking lot were exactly as described - poor quality student apartments for at least a decade and I suspect that the almost all of the rest of the block was the same. I guess I understand the laments of the folks who identify with a certain neighborhood defined by an elementary school but they, in the long term, are going to be jerked around a lot more by the Fargo School District than by private development. Also long term for residential neighborhoods around NDSU housing growing up and not out is a good thing

There was one guy with a pool who lived South of the house South of the parking lot who was probably a stubborn sell.

Build it and they will come.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Build it and they will come.
    actually, there's probably going to be rules about that.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    actually, there's probably going to be rules about that.
    This project is better than some of the boarded up crack houses on the block.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.