Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newman Center project

Default Newman Center project

If you don't know where this is, it's kitty corner from the main entrance to NDSU and across the street from the Loaf N Jug. It's a private project and not related to NDSU but since we always seem to get criticized for similar things and this is next to campus, I tend to side with the church

Even though this isnt NDSUs project, it's a huge draw for potential Catholic students.

I think this looks like a great project. Of course the neighborhoods are complaining. Reality is they are replacing ghetto rental houses full of seasonal college students and landlords who don't maintain them which devalues the property of everyone around them. There's a reason the slum lords sold them. Obviously most college students don't have kids that go to the elementary school so this has no impact on schools.

I really like this. It's changes the whole feel and I love not seeing houses that look like they are falling over within a few blocks of the main entrance and replacing them with an impressive looking building that will change the whole feel of University. That stretch already has a mix of apartments and businesses (Bison Turf, Loaf N Jug, Laundry Mat, KFC, and more to the south) so its already got them.

Honestly, I can't wait until NDSU someday builds more along the other several blocks to the north. (like the rental houses across from the football practice fields and Benson Bunker) There is reason the NDSU Development folks are buying all the rentals on the east side of university. It creates a great border and almost everyone living there is a student anyways.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4488261-...r-neighborhood

Last edited by HerdBot; 08-22-2018 at 06:55 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Default Re: Newman Center project

If you stumble out of the Turf and take a leak on the side of that building or puke on the lawn is it a mortal or a venial sin?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    If you stumble out of the Turf and take a leak on the side of that building or puke on the lawn is it a mortal or a venial sin?
    I've probably already done that by accident at the existing church. Just say a few hail Mary's while your pissing

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    If you're pissing I'd guess that's a veinal sin.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

NIMBY neighbors. Seems like a good project. My question is what is the property tax situation on the housing portion?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I've probably already done that by accident at the existing church. Just say a few hail Mary's while your pissing
    I haven't done that but if I did, it's a good thing I'm not Catholic.

I have thrown up on the lawn of the Clay County Courthouse though.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is a good project, these neighbors complain about everything, you live next to a university not really sure why they think it should be a single family neighborhood.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    It is a good project, these neighbors complain about everything, you live next to a university not really sure why they think it should be a single family neighborhood.
    Yep. And the reality is those houses had like 10 people living in each of them anyways. Most were broken up to be 4 apartments. Now they will have have nice shiny apartments aimed at Catholic NDSU students and you can't really party it up in a place like that. If anything it will have a calming effect on the neighborhood.

And no, I am definitely NOT Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    NIMBY neighbors. Seems like a good project. My question is what is the property tax situation on the housing portion?
    I don't think it's really a NIMBY situation. Some context is needed to understand why people are upset.

The section of Fargo between Main and 19th is serviced by three elementary schools: Washington(Broadway and 19th - near Fargo North), Madison(near the I-29/12th Ave Stamart - south of the old 12th Ave Stop-N-Go), and Horace Mann/Roosevelt(two schools - K-2 & 3-5). All of these schools are under capacity and the district is already looking at closing one of them and splitting the kids between the two others. Because Horace Mann and Roosevelt are two of the oldest buildings left in the district, it's likely those schools will be the ones closed. If that happens, most of the kids in the area in question will be bused across the 12th Ave viaduct to Madison.

When you hear residents talking about how this project could be the death of their neighborhood, what they mean is that the loss of single family homes between this project and the project across from the SHAC with cross the tipping point in regards to Roosevelt enrollment. The district won't be able to justify keeping it open, and when that happens the desirability of that area for families will plummet. It could start a death spiral for that whole area.

OTOH, it's also not right to artificially freeze an area forever. I feel for the residents affected, but I think that area of Fargo needs to change. Still, we shouldn't just dismiss their concerns out of hand or act like they're just being selfish assholes. That whole area has been mostly single family homes for 80+ years. The increase in NDSU enrollment and demands for additional student housing has only picked up in the last decade or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I don't think it's really a NIMBY situation. Some context is needed to understand why people are upset.

The section of Fargo between Main and 19th is serviced by three elementary schools: Washington(Broadway and 19th - near Fargo North), Madison(near the I-29/12th Ave Stamart - south of the old 12th Ave Stop-N-Go), and Horace Mann/Roosevelt(two schools - K-2 & 3-5). All of these schools are under capacity and the district is already looking at closing one of them and splitting the kids between the two others. Because Horace Mann and Roosevelt are two of the oldest buildings left in the district, it's likely those schools will be the ones closed. If that happens, most of the kids in the area in question will be bused across the 12th Ave viaduct to Madison.

When you hear residents talking about how this project could be the death of their neighborhood, what they mean is that the loss of single family homes between this project and the project across from the SHAC with cross the tipping point in regards to Roosevelt enrollment. The district won't be able to justify keeping it open, and when that happens the desirability of that area for families will plummet. It could start a death spiral for that whole area.

OTOH, it's also not right to artificially freeze an area forever. I feel for the residents affected, but I think that area of Fargo needs to change. Still, we shouldn't just dismiss their concerns out of hand or act like they're just being selfish assholes. That whole area has been mostly single family homes for 80+ years. The increase in NDSU enrollment and demands for additional student housing has only picked up in the last decade or two.
    Horace Mann or Roosevelt should have been closed 10 years ago. The school district continues to prop up underenrolled schools. I'm not dismissing their concerns but change is hard. And its well past time for those schools.