Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Schedule

Default Re: 2018-2019 Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I think WBB needs to start with finding an experienced coach that knows the region. We went outsie of the area for the last two hires, trying to get that flashy high major assistant hire and it flopped massively. Also hard for a new coach to take over a dumpster fire while still learning a lot on the job, which was definitely Walseth.

Of course an experienced coach is going to likely require another long deal, nobody is going to leave even a solid D2 job unless the school gives them some security.

Nelson the coach at MSUM is good, but she's old school and tough on the players. I don't know enough about the NDSU roster to know if that'd be a good fit.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Where does that foundation start with WBB(even MBB)? The Athletics in general? If that is the case then why are so many other programs succeeding? I think it is program specific, Miles turned years of apathy around and brought us one of the best teams to play, which Saul continued as well and got a tournament win. I still think Woody/Winks/Moorman/Nelson were a better team, they almost took down Kansas who put up a good fight against the eventual national runner up in Mich St.

That said I think the issues fall inn staffs of both teams, maybe some is just bad luck in recruiting but that said I think eventually it is having an eye for talent and selling yourself to the recruit. I think that is where MW fails, she can't win with recruits she is getting because she can't close on better talent...

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    On the women's side I honestly think we need to get away from the football blueprint which takes every top kid in the state. On the girls side there are very few D1 basketball players. Most of the top players are D2 from our state but have insane stats to back it up as a hopeful D1 kid. This makes coaching and recruiting in Fargo very difficult because to get D1 talent most of the time you are going to have to leave the region and then truly recruit a kid to go this far from home to have a chance at playing time. Then the most important part is you have to be able to keep them, so the recruiting never ends. This is going to be very difficult to overcome. Why was our D2 team so good? Well we took our in state kids that wanted to be here and put them up against talent they could matchup well against and then out-worked them.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    On the women's side I honestly think we need to get away from the football blueprint which takes every top kid in the state. On the girls side there are very few D1 basketball players. Most of the top players are D2 from our state but have insane stats to back it up as a hopeful D1 kid. This makes coaching and recruiting in Fargo very difficult because to get D1 talent most of the time you are going to have to leave the region and then truly recruit a kid to go this far from home to have a chance at playing time. Then the most important part is you have to be able to keep them, so the recruiting never ends. This is going to be very difficult to overcome. Why was our D2 team so good? Well we took our in state kids that wanted to be here and put them up against talent they could matchup well against and then out-worked them.
    Goodness, this is very well articulated.

You may want to take look at SDSU’s roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sorry I have to disagree. SDSU has been almost a top 25 team with largely local talent. Our D2 teams would kill our current teams. There is plenty of great talent in women’s BB locally we just have not done a good job with recruiting or coaching. MN has plenty of great talent and there are one to two players a year in ND that are very good players that can play at this level but we have not gotten them. This should have been the easiest of all the sports to transition to D1 but with terrible coaching for more than decade this has been a disaster. Shoot USD transitioned very easily.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

OT: MSUM Dragons are playing former Bison Anna Goodhope & her USF team at noon today.

OT: Dragons up by 7 at half. 34-27.

Dragons will play for the NSIC championship tomorrow.
    Last edited by Elephants Dream?; 03-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I think your comment on talent judging is spot-on relative to MW, although I don’t believe either her or DR have the ability to coach talent anyway.

Don't disagree I haven't seen a MW team since the first year she was coaching and looked like things were somewhat on the right track, she was able to beat SDSU at home at least?? If I remember right it was a SDSU game?

On the later comments I think there is some potential in ND recruits that possibly use some coaching/development to get to the next level. Problem is NDSU has to thru true freshmen on the floor just to have enough bodies the past 7-8 years it seems like.

If there are very few D1 basketball players on the girls side, how come SDSU and USD are loaded with ND, SD and MN girls.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    If there are very few D1 basketball players on the girls side, how come SDSU and USD are loaded with ND, SD and MN girls.
    Hello! And thanks!!

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.