Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Schedule

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2018-2019 Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    Sorry I have to disagree. SDSU has been almost a top 25 team with largely local talent. Our D2 teams would kill our current teams. There is plenty of great talent in women’s BB locally we just have not done a good job with recruiting or coaching. MN has plenty of great talent and there are one to two players a year in ND that are very good players that can play at this level but we have not gotten them. This should have been the easiest of all the sports to transition to D1 but with terrible coaching for more than decade this has been a disaster. Shoot USD transitioned very easily.
    SDSU can have the local talent of I assume mostly South Dakota. I was mainly talking about North Dakota talent and my opinion is that there are very few players who have D1 talent, but do have D1 stats to help hide that. Over the last handful of years we have had many North Dakota kids on this team and you take a look at the track record.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    If there are very few D1 basketball players on the girls side, how come SDSU and USD are loaded with ND, SD and MN girls.
    One North Dakota kid between the two schools. ONE, but don't let facts get in the way. I never said anything about SD or MN girls.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    One North Dakota kid between the two schools. ONE, but don't let facts get in the way. I never said anything about SD or MN girls.
    My guess is that SDSU and USD don't need to recruit ND because they recruit and DEVELOP enough talent from SD, MN, NE and IA. The development of talent is lacking amongst the coaches at NDSU

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    On the women's side I honestly think we need to get away from the football blueprint which takes every top kid in the state. On the girls side there are very few D1 basketball players. Most of the top players are D2 from our state but have insane stats to back it up as a hopeful D1 kid. This makes coaching and recruiting in Fargo very difficult because to get D1 talent most of the time you are going to have to leave the region and then truly recruit a kid to go this far from home to have a chance at playing time. Then the most important part is you have to be able to keep them, so the recruiting never ends. This is going to be very difficult to overcome. Why was our D2 team so good? Well we took our in state kids that wanted to be here and put them up against talent they could matchup well against and then out-worked them.
    Great post and it would be true if SDSU wasn't a harder place to recruit to. They are now a top 40 program year in and out. Anything they do we should be able to do better. Try again...

Sarah Jacobson and Macey Kvilvang both had other D1 offers, especially Kvilvang. Not sure on Rylee Nudell and Emily Dietz (not counting the school up north). IIRC Jacobson had a Jackrabbit offer at one time. SDSU racks up early commits, so at times their roster is full, so you can’t count on an offer staying open......nice problem to have!

Here is what the Jackrabbit coach is currently up to:

Joel Sipper
    @JSipper_WDAY
    ·
    41m
    Let’s try this one more time. SDSU women’s basketball head coach Aaron Johnston is in attendance in Crookston tonight for 8AA playoffs between Roseau and Breckenridge.
    Joel Sipper
    @JSipper_WDAY
    ·
    35m
    Roseau beats Breckenridge, 84-71 in the 8AA semifinals. Kacie Borowicz finishes with 23 points and 7 rebounds and Katie Borowicz finishes with 25 points, 5 rebounds, 9 assists.
    Kacie B signed with Fighting Hawks, Katie B is a sophomore, older sister Kiley B plays for MSU Dragons

Let's keep this simple.
    1) Walseth is clueless in identifying D1 potential recruits.
    2) Actual D1 talent wants nothing to do with her
    3) Marginal recruits are not taught to play at this level
    4) She is a clueless coach, and in over her head

So I am reading today about the Dragons losing to the Bulldogs, 52-48 in the NSIC Championship Game.
    Minnesota Duluth is 23-6 on the Year and the Forum says they are coached by Mandy Pearson. Interesting name, Forum mentions Pearson has a local connection in having played for Concordia.

Here is her bio:

https://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=486&path=wbball

Turns out Pearson, as a Head Coach, has already turned around a MIAC program, St Mary’s, and has now turned around a NSIC program.

18-19 season 23-6 (18-4) (so far - on to the D2 playoffs)
    17-18 season 16-11 (13-9)
    16-17 season 14-14 (11-11)
    15-16 season 7-19 (7-14)(1st season)

I have no idea if she would have any interest in the NDSU, but she checks a lot of boxes

- Minnesota native (Watkins MN)
    - local connection (Concordia)
    - rebuilds both a D3 and a D2 program
    - hence has an upward trajectory as a Head Coach
    - experience recruiting Minnesota!!!

Again it’s Just a thought - no idea if Mandy Pearson has any interest -
    Plus she coached the Bulldogs past the Bison 70-65 in an exhibition game this season so she knows how to find the Shac!

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    So I am reading today about the Dragons losing to the Bulldogs, 52-48 in the NSIC Championship Game.
    Minnesota Duluth is 23-6 on the Year and the Forum says they are coached by Mandy Pearson. Interesting name, Forum mentions Pearson has a local connection in having played for Concordia.

Here is her bio:

Turns out Pearson, as a Head Coach, has already turned around a MIAC program, St Mary’s, and has now turned around a NSIC program.

I have no idea if she would have any interest in the NDSU, but she checks a lot of boxes

Plus she coached the Bulldogs past the Bison 70-65 in an exhibition game this season so she knows how to find the Shac!

Nice piece of research...

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

Here is her bio:

She was a good player with the Cobbers, has very good basketball knowledge as her coaching history shows.

Please, lets not think small time with the women's hire. Even though it has cobwebs on it...we have tradition. We have a great facility, town, school and we pay. This needs to be opened up to a national seach starting Monday and we will get a stud.

I would target Love. He is the top assistant at Nebraska and was the top assistant at USD. Recruited the Moorhead girl. Knows what it takes to win in the region. There would be a ton of great applicants. Not to say the above lady wouldn't be...but I am not all in on NSIC coaches just because they beat MSU.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.