Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: McFooly's Article Today

Default Re: McFooly's Article Today

Quote Originally Posted by TinyBisonFan View Post
    I did see that JMU just announced that they will be provided Cost-of-Attendance for all sports starting in 2019.

That helps out schools a lot in the recruiting game.
    Honestly the more schools that do that, the better it is for NDSU at this level. Why? Cost-of-Attendance is certainly a competitive advantage for those who offer it. If only a few do, I could see the voting body of FCS saying, "Hey we need to level the playing field!" Now, in today's environment, I doubt they would take cost-of-attendance away as there is already too much buzz around should athletes be paid.... But they could say "we should reduce scholarships so we can move money from the scholarship bucket to the cost of attendance bucket". Not saying it will happen, but worth thinking about.

(I also think the day is coming where the Big 5 say "85 scholarships! Ha! We want 100!" and vote to increase the number of scholarships they can offer. Granted there are some title 9 things to figure out, but I would think almost all the big schools could afford more scholarships.)
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I avoid trying to click on anything that idiot writes but for some reason I usually falter when it's a Bison article from him. In this rate case he is pretty much spot on. I can't wait until the G5 does their own thing. Even if it's a 4 team playoff from the top four conference champions, it would be a blast as each game would be Frieco-esque.

What he is saying about the FCS and FBS is also true about the NFL (and some other sports like the NBA). How many teams have legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl?
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Honestly, I have no idea what the whole point of the article even is. He even buries a little sentence in there that some of you may have missed:

"The FCS is top-heavy, just the same as ALL divisions of NCAA football." (The underline and emphasis are mine)

So if that statement is true, what the hell is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    What he is saying about the FCS and FBS is also true about the NFL (and some other sports like the NBA). How many teams have legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl?
    FCS and NFL have one thing in common, remove the current dynasty and there is actually a lot of parity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I disagree slightly on that. While some NFL teams have done extremely well, it is more just culture/leadership that's led to the differences. In college, there are extreme structural and monetary difference as well.

I think the main difference in the comparison with the NFL (which is not NEARLY as unbalanced as the NBA is right now) is that the NFL has 32 teams, whereas the FCS has 125 and FBS has 117(?). There is much more parity in the NFL than there is in college football. If you look at the league since the Patriots first win back in 2002, the AFC has been represented by 6 different teams (Pats (8), Raiders (1), Steelers (3), Colts (2), Ravens (1), Broncos (2)), and the NFC has had 13 different teams (Rams, Bucs, Panthers (2), Eagles (2), Seahawks (3), Bears, Giants (2), Cardinals, Saints, Packers, 49ers, and Falcons). Some of those teams weren't really in the conversation at the beginning of the season for a SuperBowl run, like the Eagles last year. They were supposed to be good and compete for the NFC East, but not expected to win the Superbowl.

You pretty much paraphrased what was said a few weeks ago on 104.3 TheFan in Denver. I can't remember which duo were talking at the moment (I believe it was Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey) about NFL ownership and their actual goals. Of the two commentators, the former NFL player (Pritchard if I'm correct) claimed that in the NFL, there are probably no more than five owners who are "determined" about winning the Super Bowl every year. For the others, it's about making money. In my opinion, that pretty much goes for every other major professional sports league - NBA, MLB and NHL. I'm sure soccer has somewhat the same dilemma, but I don't know which league is the actual big one. I just know it's not MLS, it's somewhere in Europe and has guys like Ronaldo playing in it.

In regards to NCAA Football, is there really ever parity at any level? The P5 has lots of big schools and share lots of money among themselves, but when was the last time teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Miami, Clemson, Florida State, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, USC and Nebraska. Sure, every individual school has its down-cycle, but for the most part, the Championship, no mater how it was determined, was more than likely won by the usual suspects of about 15 teams over a long period of time.

For DII, it was a mixed bag early on when it was created in 1973. In the 80s, it was ruled by NDSU. Since the 90s, it has been dominated by teams like NW Missouri State (I wish they had the ability to move up to the FCS) and Grand Valley State.

For DIII, outside of the few Wisconsin Schools, the division has been owned since the early 90s by Mount Union.

In regards to our Division, the FCS was always dominated by just a few schools. For the first 20 years, it was mainly Georgia Southern that was in the hunt for the Championship. In the 90s, Marshall and Youngstown State were beasts of a team. From the 90s and 2000s, Montana was a perennial threat and App State owned the division in the late 2000s. After that, well, we know the rest of the story.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Well, that got a response. I stand corrected (a weird phrase since I am not standing).
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Honestly the more schools that do that, the better it is for NDSU at this level. Why? Cost-of-Attendance is certainly a competitive advantage for those who offer it. If only a few do, I could see the voting body of FCS saying, "Hey we need to level the playing field!" Now, in today's environment, I doubt they would take cost-of-attendance away as there is already too much buzz around should athletes be paid.... But they could say "we should reduce scholarships so we can move money from the scholarship bucket to the cost of attendance bucket". Not saying it will happen, but worth thinking about.

(I also think the day is coming where the Big 5 say "85 scholarships! Ha! We want 100!" and vote to increase the number of scholarships they can offer. Granted there are some title 9 things to figure out, but I would think almost all the big schools could afford more scholarships.)
    That "we need to level the playing field" argument is such a bunch of BS... not saying the FCS wouldn't try it... But, if you don't have sufficient resources to compete at a particular level you need to drop down to a level you can afford, or drop football altogether. There are a lot of Division 1 (both FCS and FBS) football teams that have no business playing football at the Division 1 level.