Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Fall Camp

Default Re: 2018 Fall Camp

Quote Originally Posted by 14>1 View Post
    I could go on and on about how excited I am with the build of this team right now. When did the last group of Bohl recruits leave? I'm pretty sure Stick committed the year Bohl left, and Klieman and Co had to keep them committed, right? Look at the size of these Sr and Jr classes, tons of talented guys sticking around and creating some depth that we haven't seen at NDSU ever. Klieman and Entz have got to be licking their chops at the opportunity to coach this defensive group.

Also, as far as special team concerns, it sounds like it's a huge emphasis of this camp. If we can stay healthy, I see improvements in every area. It helps that Roehl is getting involved with that group too.
    Klieman and his coaches recruited young guys like Jabril Cox, Dillon Radunz, Volson, Gindorf, Howieson, Josh Hays, and Seth Wison

The 2015 class which was 100% Klieman includes
    Bruce Anderson
    Matt Anderson
    Marquise Bridges
    Ty Brooks
    Jaxon Browne
    Jack Darnell
    Dom Davis
    Robbie Grimsley,
    James Hendricks
    Ben Ellefson
    Zack Johnson
    Cole Karcz
    Aaron Mercadel
    Cam Pedersen
    Demaris Purifoy
    Brock Robbins
    Derrek Tuszka,
    Dimitri Williams,

The 2014 had a few guys that were committed when Bohl left but these guys were all post Bohl
    Wimbush, Blake Williams, Darriius Shepherd, Collin Connor, Nate Jenson and Lance Dunn

The Bohl staff had their hands on Stick, RJ, Jaylen Allison, and Menard but Klieman and his staff kept them.+

They also had their hands on the North Dakota kids but lets face it, we don't lose in state kids with our without Bohl.

Guys like Jordheim, Butler, and Steidl were walk ons and recruited by current coaches.

Klieman and Bohl are both great recruiters.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

2013 vs 2018, on paper

OL: 2013 is a high bar, but even if 2018 it isn't better at tackle it will be as good or better in the middle

FB/TE: 2018, the talent and depth and TE is overwhelming

WR: hard to know right now, but I speculate that 2018 could have a good advantage here if the rumors of the freshman pan out.

RB: Lance is IMO the best back here since Lamar, and Bruce is excellent as well. Crock and Ojuri were great but Crocket would be just another (excellent) cog in 2018's stable

QB: Imagine telling a rube fan in 2013 that Brock would be our worst QB of the decade

Offense: 2018 should have an advantage here, possibly a significant one

DL: both the units were deep and loaded. This year might deeper, but 2013 had KE

LB: Cox and whichever of several veteran upperclassmen put around him will be very good, possibly as good as Beck Olson and Littlejohn, and hopefully deeper

DB: Williams Shepard Heagle Dudzik Smith are the GOAT. Shepard and Smith had tremendous gamechanging speed at safety that I don't think anyone on 2018 can match. (IIRC 4.43 and 4.35 40's) This year should be deeper, and roughly as good at corner, and all the FS candidate have better hands than Dudzik.

Defense: roughly a tie

Special Teams: 2013, KR, PR, K, P all better in 2013

Overall: 2018

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    2013 vs 2018, on paper

OL: 2013 is a high bar, but even if 2018 it isn't better at tackle it will be as good or better in the middle

WR: hard to know right now, but I speculate that 2018 could have a good advantage here if the rumors of the freshman pan out.

RB: Lance is IMO the best back here since Lamar, and Bruce is excellent as well. Crock and Ojuri were great but Crocket would be just another (excellent) cog in 2018's stable

QB: Imagine telling a rube fan in 2013 that Brock would be our worst QB of the decade

DL: both the units were deep and loaded. This year might deeper, but 2013 had KE

LB: Cox and whichever of several veteran upperclassmen put around him will be very good, possibly as good as Beck Olson and Littlejohn, and hopefully deeper

DB: Williams Shepard Heagle Dudzik Smith are the GOAT. Shepard and Smith had tremendous gamechanging speed at safety that I don't think anyone on 2018 can match. (IIRC 4.43 and 4.35 40's) This year should be deeper, and roughly as good at corner, and all the FS candidate have better hands than Dudzik.

M-WILL would like a word with you... this is laughable.

2013 > 2018 all day long and twice on sundays, sorry.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    2013 vs 2018, on paper

Defense: roughly a tie

Looking at snap counts to see who was actually getting noticeable play time in 2013 would be the most fair assessment since we can't predict the future value of 2018 underclassmen depth. That being said here are my thoughts.

OL: 2013 - Turner, Haeg, Gimmestad, Zack Johnson, Colville, Jeremy Kelly. 2013 had maybe 2 of the best OTs the Bison have had in their history with quite a few other very good players.

FB: 2013 - Grothmann and Bonnett? Easy answer

TE: 2018 - I will succumb to the kool aid. Vaadeland and Albers Were a very good duo. I think Ellefson, Jenson, Gindorff, and Babicz will all get legit snaps and will be very fun to watch.

WR: 2013 - Not even close. Vraa, Smith, and Gebhardt in a heartbeat. The only way I imagine we top that is if we have 2 out of the blue prodigies that make Darius our #3.

RB: 2018 - Crockett and Ojuri were excellent but this class has unheard of active depth as well as top end talent. Bruce and Lance match Crockett and Ojuri or close, and then toss in 2-3 more studs.

QB: 2018 - Brock is a legend but his best quality was that he was a leader, tough, and a winner. Easton is all those things as well along with a better athlete and arm. We are so spoiled.

DE: Push - Emmanuel, Jirik, Hardie, and Ambrosius = Menard, Tuszka, Butler, and Jones. The 3 deep for DE does look better for 2018 but won't count them in.

DT: 2013 - Perry, Drevlow, and Schaetz seems better then Steidl, Williams, Karcz, and Darnell.

LB: 2013 - Cox might end up a legend but 2013 already had multiple. Olson, Beck, Littlejohn, Thornton and a young Deluca. Not even close imo.

CB: Push - Marcus, CJ, Shep, Champion, and Colvin seems just as talented as Allison, Bridges, Hayes, Davis, and Wimbush. Actually leaning 2013 but Bridges and Hayes are getting the benefit of development.

S: 2013 - Once again not close. Heagle and Dudzik are a legendary duo and Liekhus was a solid backup. I do think Grimsley and Dempsey were right there with them but Dempsey is gone. Question mark at FS.

K: 2013 - Keller

P: 2013 - LeCompte

Overall I think, on paper, that 2013 is better. Their OL and DL were both marginally better which is key. Their special teams looks vastly superior. I also think their LBs and WRs were noticeably better. 2013 didn't have a weakness or question mark. 2018 does. Still a great team this year and worth discussing.

Caveat that this analysis is pretty unfair to 2018 because some of the value and talent we are attributing to 2013 is tied with how many of those players finished their careers in 2014 and 2015 as studs but were partially unknowns leading into 2013.
    Rixen

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    Looking at snap counts to see who was actually getting noticeable play time in 2013 would be the most fair assessment since we can't predict the future value of 2018 underclassmen depth. That being said here are my thoughts.

OL: 2013 - Turner, Haeg, Gimmestad, Zack Johnson, Colville, Jeremy Kelly. 2013 had maybe 2 of the best OTs the Bison have had in their history with quite a few other very good players.

TE: 2018 - I will succumb to the kool aid. Vaadeland and Albers Were a very good duo. I think Ellefson, Jenson, Gindorff, and Babicz will all get legit snaps and will be very fun to watch.

WR: 2013 - Not even close. Vraa, Smith, and Gebhardt in a heartbeat. The only way I imagine we top that is if we have 2 out of the blue prodigies that make Darius our #3.

RB: 2018 - Crockett and Ojuri were excellent but this class has unheard of active depth as well as top end talent. Bruce and Lance match Crockett and Ojuri or close, and then toss in 2-3 more studs.

QB: 2018 - Brock is a legend but his best quality was that he was a leader, tough, and a winner. Easton is all those things as well along with a better athlete and arm. We are so spoiled.

DE: Push - Emmanuel, Jirik, Hardie, and Ambrosius = Menard, Tuszka, Butler, and Jones. The 3 deep for DE does look better for 2018 but won't count them in.

DT: 2013 - Perry, Drevlow, and Schaetz seems better then Steidl, Williams, Karcz, and Darnell.

LB: 2013 - Cox might end up a legend but 2013 already had multiple. Olson, Beck, Littlejohn, Thornton and a young Deluca. Not even close imo.

CB: Push - Marcus, CJ, Shep, Champion, and Colvin seems just as talented as Allison, Bridges, Hayes, Davis, and Wimbush. Actually leaning 2013 but Bridges and Hayes are getting the benefit of development.

S: 2013 - Once again not close. Heagle and Dudzik are a legendary duo and Liekhus was a solid backup. I do think Grimsley and Dempsey were right there with them but Dempsey is gone. Question mark at FS.

Overall I think, on paper, that 2013 is better. Their OL and DL were both marginally better which is key. Their special teams looks vastly superior. I also think their LBs and WRs were noticeably better. 2013 didn't have a weakness or question mark. 2018 does. Still a great team this year and worth discussing.

Caveat that this analysis is pretty unfair to 2018 because some of the value and talent we are attributing to 2013 is tied with how many of those players finished their careers in 2014 and 2015 as studs but were partially unknowns leading into 2013.
    I agree with this assessment.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Klieman also said this morning that the fall camp rules have changed. All 110 guys are in practice now. No more limit of 90 before classes begin.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I agree with this assessment.
    I agree that assessments were made.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post

Heagle was kind of a liability in coverage but his tackling was legendary.

Grimsley is one of the most dynamic strong safeties we've ever had. He covers like a corner, has crazy UND speed, and his tackling has evolved from meh to above average. His best football will be played this year.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

Grimsley is one of the most dynamic strong safeties we've ever had. He covers like a corner, has crazy UND speed, and his tackling has evolved from meh to above average. His best football will be played this year.
    I agree with grimsley becoming a much better player and going to have a huge year. He really struggled his first year and a half and has made huge improvements since then.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

Marcus was a bit of a liability as well. There's no one else I'd rather have out there in bison history because he was such a game changer, but he did gamble and lose from time to time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk