Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers

Default Re: Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    For me the thing with transfers is they have to be a great fit and have to clearly be head and shoulders above what we have or fill a major need that we somehow found ourselves in. We are killing it on the High School Recruiting level and you can't mess that up by having transfers come in and take time from a player that has put in their time to work up the depth chart to have someone just step into the spot. You can't give a high school kid one more thing to wonder about in the recruiting game. We have the you work your ass off and put in the time and work the process you will play and succeed type of program. A transfer here or a transfer there is fine but they need to have a very high upside.

As for Stig did he not pull a crap load of redshirts also last year?
    Yep they better be 1st team All American caliber athletes, play a position of short term need, have great character, play a position that is learned easily, and either have 3 years of eligibility or 2 years plus spring ball before they start their junior season. Spring ball is huge for mental development

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Taking transfers because a good opportunity arises with a player that is a good fit is one thing. Relying on transfers as a recruiting strategy is another. No way that's a recipe for sustained success.

I can't imagine there are very many teams in all of FBS and FCS that have fewer transfers than NDSU.

If its a kid you highly recruited but he accepts an FBS offer and simply doesnt think he's gonna get his chance and is a good character kid. I am all for taking him in as a transfer. I do think the growing success each and every year in Bison recruiting has a LOT to do with "you commit to us, We'll commit to you". Transfers come on an occasional per case basis only, as appears to be the case at NDSU. IF IT WORKS DONT CHANGE IT!!!

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Taking transfers because a good opportunity arises with a player that is a good fit is one thing. Relying on transfers as a recruiting strategy is another. No way that's a recipe for sustained success.
    I'm assuming the guys who rely on transfers aren't planning on staying at the FCS level long. Just use it as a stepping stone to get to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    It is quite apparent each and every week we play, that transfers are very much a part of FCS football. A lot of kids try FBS and for one reason or another end up playing in the Valley. Not sitting out a year, competitive league, good brand of football, with several very good coaches. Listening to the insiders recently they talked about the transfers that Youngstown has taken in this year. Two 4 star TE's from Ohio State and PItt, a transfer QB from Notre Dame. The Illinois schools are covered with FBS transfers. Personally, I like transfers and have advocated for them a lot on here in the past. Now before you freak out, I like one here and there. Our WR transfer from Illinois has been a great fit. Great kid. Professional family, made sure he was a great fit prior to him coming. That is the type of kid we want. THe Pitt transfer was recently kicked off Pitts Roster. That smells.

That brings me to SDSU. When did Stig completely stop caring? Last year he got his very publicized DUI arrest. Clearly not ideal. That is a career limiting move at a lot of schools, and personally I thought he may be on his best behavior post arrest. Well, the first kid he signed after that arrest was Banks. Who was kicked out of NC State for selling drugs. You can google it if you would like. Honestly I hope the kid cleaned up his act as that isn't an ideal resume builder for a young man. This week they added the Iowa Transfer who was so disruptive at Iowa (his home state) that his teammates voted to have him removed from the team. Again, maybe a great kid, but was in a bad spot in life. Very public DUI, but if all of the truth comes out on his release it won't be thrilling. Not saying he doesn't deserve a great life, just saying that when did SDSU become a place to take on what at least on paper appear to be trouble makers. Stig took on a troubled recruit two years ago, I mentioned it, was told by Jack fans I was wrong, well he has already left the team. Personally, I think Stig wants to win one so bad he is turning things over to a very young and aggressive staff. They are willing to oversell Brookings and it has led to a crazy high attrition rate. Clearly the Omaha connection that Dan Jackson has tried to build has been an epic disaster as they flat out leave Brookings every year. Alarming rate of #Nebraskajacks leave.

There are as many GREAT transfer stories as there are negative ones, some teams are forced to deal with them. If I was SIU or Western, I would try anything as they stink and have stunk for years. Well, SIU was actually great before Lennon tore them down.

WHo are your favorite transfers in the league this year? There are so many studs. Mostly at skill positions. I hope Cain has a wonderful year for us at WR. He has fit in nicely. I hope we stay on the lookout for more. But, clearly our bread and butter is high school recruiting which we are dominating at. Just a topic I was discussing recently with a bunch of guys and then the Insiders conversation made me think more about it. There is probably an all star team of transfers in the Valley. One guy mentioned to me that NDSU is really the only team with media. So a lot of this stuff is not covered or cared about. NDSU fans are loyal and nuts. There is a ton of media that covers this. If NDSU took on trouble, it would be a huge talker. SDSU has no media. None. They have a super fan who tweets at kids and is their biggest fan, but he isn't media and is scared to publicly question Stig or anything SDSU. Can you imagine if we took on the kid who was caught selling drugs? Call it a second chance all you want.

WHo are your favorite transfers in the valley?
    Burgundy, any kind of reference list you can provide? I'd love to share this with the Jack hoard here in Sioux Falls as they never hear this stuff, but they'll think you are making it up. (Which I know you are not.)

I think Stig is losing it. Maybe he feels the pressure of USD getting the better of them eventually. He went all in last year and came up short he is throwing out all the stops now. Used to respect the guy but he changed about 3-4 years ago. His players have started playing dirty and he says nothing about it, his coaches shoot their tweets off and he does nothing about it, then the dui and now brings in shady transfers. My guess is he's gone in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I think Stig is losing it. Maybe he feels the pressure of USD getting the better of them eventually. He went all in last year and came up short he is throwing out all the stops now. Used to respect the guy but he changed about 3-4 years ago. His players have started playing dirty and he says nothing about it, his coaches shoot their tweets off and he does nothing about it, then the dui and now brings in shady transfers. My guess is he's gone in a couple years.
    What tweets are you referring to just wondering.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Big difference IMHO between a guy like Frazier who just wasn't going to move up the depth chart,good back, NU just had better, and the kid who was kicked off the team, was too disruptive. Occasionally it can be a home grown talent who took the FBS plunge and just hates it...let the character issues folks be other team's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    What tweets are you referring to just wondering.
    Pretty sure that would be assistant coach Jason Eck. Loves to tweet stuff about NDSU. Like this and others (too hard to find more, as he tweets a lot)...

https://twitter.com/Coach_Eck/status/966339477793918977
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)