Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Espn+

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Espn+

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    One day Amazon, Netflix, and Facebook live will jump in. Those who get in early will be rewarded. If you want to talk about incredible target advertising, Facebook will dominate. They could run ads for anyone who ever lived in ND, follows NDSU, went to NDSU, likes football etc.

Heres a few recent articles

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/interne...sports-n856906

https://www.recode.net/2017/8/23/161...l-stadium-deal
    Ugh Facebook would be an awful platform to watch on.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Ugh Facebook would be an awful platform to watch on.

Since they have unlimited money, I'm sure they could figure out how to put it on ROKU or any other platform

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

According to a Sports TV blog, the move to ESPN + was planned. Here is a link; http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Since they have unlimited money, I'm sure they could figure out how to put it on ROKU or any other platform
    Or it could just stay on ESPN+ that is already on all of those platforms and has at least 7 years of experience on their side. Not to mention all of the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by badger04 View Post
    According to a Sports TV blog, the move to ESPN + was planned. Here is a link; http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/
    FTA: "Having North Dakota St. behind that paywall for every game looks to be a planned event."

Why? NDSU actually gets a decent amount of views. Doesn't Boise State have a deal with the MWC where they get a larger share of the media rights? I know MVFC is getting $0.00 from ESPN for their games... but if NDSU gets decent views behind a paywall, coupled with these "cloud based advertisements" -- NDSU should be sharing in any revenue generated. Oh well, it is still better than the streaming options of the Big Sky or CAA... at least I know where to find the game, without searching the internet to find it.

Curious if there will be a place to see how many computers/smart tv apps/phones viewed NDSU games vs. these G5 teams that will be on ESPN Plus... at a minimum, it should at least put to rest the idea that you need to be in a big media market to have a decent following. Could definitely help in making the case to join an FBS conference when that time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Or it could just stay on ESPN+ that is already on all of those platforms and has at least 7 years of experience on their side. Not to mention all of the equipment.

Now your reaching. Facebook isnt some Micky Mouse type organization that cant figure this stuff out. They only built the most powerful platform in the history of the world that knows more about you than you do. ESPN is on the decline while Facebook is just getting its feet wet.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Now your reaching. Facebook isnt some Micky Mouse type organization that cant figure this stuff out. They only built the most powerful platform in the history of the world that knows more about you than you do. ESPN is on the decline while Facebook is just getting its feet wet.

Lardsin must go!

I'd be really curious to know how many devices are streaming NDSU games any given Saturday. I just don't think it's enough for anyone to get all uptight over. It takes a lot of programatic (what's being referred on here as 'cloud ads') to make ANY money. I mean thousands of ad views for like $5-10 revenue. The CPM depends on a lot of factors but I just don't see NDSU streams actually bringing in all the much money.

Let's say a video ad costs the advertiser $20 per thousand views(CPM). Which is pretty high. For every thousand times that ad is seen ESPN makes $20. Let's say you see the same ad during all 20 commercial breaks of a game. (the CPMs wouldn't hold up at this rate though because the value drops drastically once you've seen the ad more than once but let's keep it simple). So you saw that ad 20 times along with 10k other Bison fans(are there anywhere near that many streaming?) That's a lot of ad views right?!?! It is, it's 200k ad views but at $20 CPMs that just made ESPN a whole $4,000 in gross revenue. From EVERYONE COMBINED.

Now there is no way they are getting $20 CPMs since we see the same damn ads every break every week which tells me the value of those ads spots is super low. And any time you see an ad for another ESPN show theres no revenue there. I guess my point is unless you think 100k people are streaming Bison games each week there isn't enough money to be bitching about.

Taking into consideration infastructure and bandwith costs just for starters where's the margin to share with NDSU? I think having all these games on their platform is more of a branding move as the leader in all things sports than anything in else.

But that's just my opinion and typed up on my phone while not caring enough to check spelling or maths too closely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I'd be really curious to know how many devices are streaming NDSU games any given Saturday. I just don't think it's enough for anyone to get all uptight over. It takes a lot of programatic (what's being referred on here as 'cloud ads') to make ANY money. I mean thousands of ad views for like $5-10 revenue. The CPM depends on a lot of factors but I just don't see NDSU streams actually bringing in all the much money.

Let's say a video ad costs the advertiser $20 per thousand views(CPM). Which is pretty high. For every thousand times that ad is seen ESPN makes $20. Let's say you see the same ad during all 20 commercial breaks of a game. (the CPMs wouldn't hold up at this rate though because the value drops drastically once you've seen the ad more than once but let's keep it simple). So you saw that ad 20 times along with 10k other Bison fans(are there anywhere near that many streaming?) That's a lot of ad views right?!?! It is, it's 200k ad views but at $20 CPMs that just made ESPN a whole $4,000 in gross revenue. From EVERYONE COMBINED.

Now there is no way they are getting $20 CPMs since we see the same damn ads every break every week which tells me the value of those ads spots is super low. And any time you see an ad for another ESPN show theres no revenue there. I guess my point is unless you think 100k people are streaming Bison games each week there isn't enough money to be bitching about.

Taking into consideration infastructure and bandwith costs just for starters where's the margin to share with NDSU? I think having all these games on their platform is more of a branding move as the leader in all things sports than anything in else.

But that's just my opinion and typed up on my phone while not caring enough to check spelling or maths too closely.

I dont know but we dont seem to have issues selling advertising on our TV or radio broadcasts. NBC paid us 1.2 million over 3 years to air the games. Obviously there is a huge in state market but who knows what it is outside of North Dakota. I know it is pretty big in the other markets including the Twin Cities but exact numbers I have no idea. I dont think we would play a game at Target Field if there were a shit ton of fans.

I dont know but we dont seem to have issues selling advertising on our TV or radio broadcasts. NBC paid us 1.2 million over 3 years to air the games. Obviously there is a huge in state market but who knows what it is outside of North Dakota. I know it is pretty big in the other markets including the Twin Cities but exact numbers I have no idea. I dont think we would play a game at Target Field if there were a shit ton of fans.
    One thing to keep in mind with local broadcasting contracts is that very often they will over pay for something the the Bison games because they will be seen favorably by those in the region and can potentially drive further viewership in turn raise the value of all their ad slots. I'm not saying it makes up a huge portion of that 1.2 million buy I highly doubt they're making money on that deal directly.

In reality there is no way of knowing potential streaming rights value without having the slightest clue how many devices are showing NDSU games every week.