Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Espn+

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Espn+

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    ESPN hasn't written an app that supports ESPN+ streaming to the Samsung smart TV OS yet. I found out the same thing after I signed up. Actually, ESPN didn't have an app at all for Samsung smart TVs until January of this year I believe. It's the same deal with my Xbox One ESPN app. ESPN3 games work fine but ESPN+ games don't show up at all. Here's the list of ESPN+ supported devices: https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/ar...orted-devices-
    • iPhone
    • iPad
    • tvOS
    • Android Handset
    • Roku
    • Chromecast
    • FireTV

Honestly I don't get what's so tough about updating their app to support ESPN+, at most all they'd have to do is add a login function with an ESPN account. You'd think they'd want to maximize the value of this offering given that it's new and they want to hook people in so they'd want to get it on as many devices as possible but ESPN is not known for thinking logically when it comes to rolling out new content.

tl;dr You'll have to buy a Fire Stick or a Roku, plug it into your Samsung TV, and use the ESPN app on that.
    The lower generation AppleTV models such as the generation 3 also support ESPN+

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Exhibit A why you NEVER buy a TV brand's own Smart TV. Samsung has hung around the longest, but customer Smart TVs are dying. A lot of TVs come with FireTV or Roku built in...way smarter.
    Meh, there's more important things that go into a TV puchase IMO. You don't really have a choice but to get their own smart OS with the premium brands right now. I did a ton of research before I bought my Samsung last February. Samsung uses Tizen. LG uses webOS. Sony uses Playstation TV (although I think they've switched to Android now). Yeah, you can get a TCL with a built-in Roku but look at the rtings scores and you'll see that the picture isn't nearly as good as the other 3. You can buy a nice streaming device for $50 or less so when I drop $1,000+ on a TV I'd rather get one with a better picture than one with a better OS. You can't buy any add-ons to improve the picture afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Smart TVs are dumb.
    Exactly... it's like buying a smart monitor for your computer.*

*says the guy with a Roku TV in the home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

I passed on all the other branded smart TV's with proprietary systems but I bought a Roku TV. I knew at least that operating system was going to be good and reliable. Plus, it was cheap with 4k and HDR so I will last me more than a few years. It took me forever to get rid of my Panasonic plasmas, mostly because of the cost of them. This one I will not worry so much when I'm trying to replace it.

That said, I'm still bummed I didn't get a bigger one.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I passed on all the other branded smart TV's with proprietary systems but I bought a Roku TV. I knew at least that operating system was going to be good and reliable. Plus, it was cheap with 4k and HDR so I will last me more than a few years. It took me forever to get rid of my Panasonic plasmas, mostly because of the cost of them. This one I will not worry so much when I'm trying to replace it.

That said, I'm still bummed I didn't get a bigger one.
    Our daily driver, the TV we use the most, is an old Pany plasma that is 11 years old now. I want to get a new one but it just keeps working. Looking at going with either the TCL Roku, a Sharp with Roku, or a Toshiba with FireTV. Since we use Vue I'm looking to go with a TV with Roku or FireTV built in to get down to one remote...at least in that room. Of course that will be when the old Panasonic finally dies out, and it's really not showing any signs of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

TVs with third party streamers built in are a bit smarter but not by much. I'd still expect the built in streamer to become obsolete at some point and simply replace it with a newer plugged in device.

Not having built in cable boxes however was completely stupid, so glad I don't care anymore. Cable TV deserves getting cut out for all the silly games they play to get you to pay extra fees for external boxes that shouldn't be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Meh, there's more important things that go into a TV puchase IMO. You don't really have a choice but to get their own smart OS with the premium brands right now. I did a ton of research before I bought my Samsung last February. Samsung uses Tizen. LG uses webOS. Sony uses Playstation TV (although I think they've switched to Android now). Yeah, you can get a TCL with a built-in Roku but look at the rtings scores and you'll see that the picture isn't nearly as good as the other 3. You can buy a nice streaming device for $50 or less so when I drop $1,000+ on a TV I'd rather get one with a better picture than one with a better OS. You can't buy any add-ons to improve the picture afterwards.
    The point is: Don't waste your money on a self-branded SmartTV. Buy a Samsung, I'm not arguing against that, I'm just saying don't rely on their built in crap. You were literally bitching about how you didn't have access yet, so don't let $50 stand in your way, as you pointed out.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

No way Im going to be able to keep up with this shit in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Our daily driver, the TV we use the most, is an old Pany plasma that is 11 years old now. I want to get a new one but it just keeps working. Looking at going with either the TCL Roku, a Sharp with Roku, or a Toshiba with FireTV. Since we use Vue I'm looking to go with a TV with Roku or FireTV built in to get down to one remote...at least in that room. Of course that will be when the old Panasonic finally dies out, and it's really not showing any signs of doing so.
    My Pannys cost almost $4k for a 37 inch in 2005 and $1500 for a 50" in about 2008-09

My TCL cost $369 for a 55 inch. That was practically free.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    The point is: Don't waste your money on a self-branded SmartTV. Buy a Samsung, I'm not arguing against that, I'm just saying don't rely on their built in crap. You were literally bitching about how you didn't have access yet, so don't let $50 stand in your way, as you pointed out.
    Agreed. I'm just calling ESPN lazy... doesn't mean I'm not lazy too. But I'm their customer so they should enable my laziness not discourage it.

Spend a little more on app development and a little less on money pits like that abomination called Get Up.