Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New campus housing options

Default Re: New campus housing options

Quote Originally Posted by B. b. bison View Post
    My memory may be failing me but didn't this board, some years ago, get a few months of entertainment out of shitting on UND for the expense of their on-campus parking ramp and how the parking fees for the ramp would never recover the building expense?

Yep, just 13 short years ago.

///What vision! A parking ramp!

What a buy! $19 million (the amount they now want bonding for) for 600 new parking spots (the net number of new spots)!

Anybody good at math, my back of the envelope calculations give me about $32,000 per new parking spot.

At a 5 % return per year that means a student should pay $1600 a year per spot.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A parking structure costs about $40,000 per stall, give or take, based on how it is designed. I've designed mixed-use buildings that have included parking on separate floors and some where parking is feathered in with adjacent uses. There are plenty of open parking lots on campus that could fit a parking structure where parking is fronted by classrooms or admin space.

For the long term, structured parking is the healthiest way (in an urban design context) to develop a campus because you can keep things very walkable, inviting, and compact. The math of this as a development project go beyond the project itself. Hence, you look at return a lot differently.
    Last edited by OrygunBison; 07-31-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: dumb
    Insert something clever here...

Or since you already have parking (at the dome). You densify and run more buses through the core.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Or since you already have parking (at the dome). You densify and run more buses through the core.
    You bet. Anything that keeps things from continuing to just spread out unchecked. Eventually, structured parking is still the way to go for any real density.
    Insert something clever here...

Vail Colorado built 3 in 1978. its not hard mom

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Parking is going to be interesting at the Dome when they start the expansion.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Columbia has been around since like the 1930's Northface i believe was like the mid 60's.
    FYI for everyone.
    Oh good grief! Take your Google search elsewhere!
    Why don’t you pick on someone your own size???
    EC8’s reference was to the “olden days.” So was mine. “We” didn’t have College friends who wore brand name clothes, and I certainly didn’t have siblings who wore those brands.
    Why don’t you concentrate on criticizing yourself?
    Last edited by bisonfanette; 08-01-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Hail bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    EC8’s reference was to the “olden days.” So was mine. “We” - I didn’t have College friends who wore brand name clothes, and I certainly didn’t have siblings who wore those brands.
    Millennials

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    EC8’s reference was to the “olden days.” So was mine. “We” didn’t have College friends who wore brand name clothes, and I certainly didn’t have siblings who wore those brands.
    LOL, really? You got butthurt over that? I laughed at his post because I thought it was tongue-in-cheek towards you. Holy relax.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    LOL, really? You got butthurt over that? I laughed at his post because I thought it was tongue-in-cheek towards you. Holy relax.
    I would’ve laughed if it were funny... it gets old.