Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New campus housing options

duluthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New campus housing options

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    There will never be a parking ramp on campus.
    If they keep taking parking lots up for buildings, push will eventually come to shove and it will be built. Otherwise where do they expect everyone to park? Especially the on-campus residents.
    North Dakota State Bison | 16 Time National Champions:
    1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019

Proud NDSU Alumnus | Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    There will never be a parking ramp on campus.
    This is one thing I've never understood about Fargo. I get there's a lot of land around, but where NDSU is, there isn't much. Why not utilize the current parking space and multiply it? Not that we're in the same situation, but it works well for U of M. And adding a ramp would mean not having to add parking for a long time. I get it costs money but so does wasting valuable land on a parking lot because you're too cheap to build up. Connect to housing with skywalks and the students will really love it.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

It comes down to money and economics. The state will never appropriate money to build a ramp, so it would have to be self supporting. The parking rates that would allow the bonds to be paid would be so high nobody would park there. (Refer to discussion of a ramp at the Fargo airport.) The current annual campus parking fees are used to maintain the parking lots. Many have been rebuilt in the past several years with this cash flow. I highly doubt they would raise all of the surface parking fees in order to pay for a ramp for 400 or so cars.

The city of Fargo parking authority runs all of the ramps and city owned surface lots in downtown Fargo. The bonds for the ramp attached to the Radisson have been paid off. The bonds for the Island Park ramp are nearly paid off. Bonds were issued for the new Roberts Street ramp, but the parking authority uses parking fees from all of the parking lots and ramps to pay off the bonds. The $90 per month charge to park in the new ramp is not enough cash flow to pay off the bonds. The ramp soon to be built attached to the Block 9 project will be paid off by using TIF property taxes on the new Block 9 tower.

Construction costs are sky high. NDSU provides a free bus service that runs through the campus. City bus service is free for NDSU students to anywhere in the city. The bike sharing program is also available for the students to use. Take a drive through campus during a random afternoon after classes start. There are parking spots available in many of the lots. Of course you might not be as close as you want to where you want to go, but that's the way it is.

I used the word "never" because of all of these reasons.

533 In a row

Parking is a huge problem on campus. Our daughter was supposed to park in the lot closest to Bison Apartments. It was always filled. After receiving many parking tickets, one day she marched in to the parking office, showed them her parking pass, told them the lot was full, etc. Their only suggestion was to park way up north, which doesn’t work very well when you need to get to class. Now that she’s a grad student she has a place to park. Finally!

whats the metrodome doing tonight

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    This is one thing I've never understood about Fargo. I get there's a lot of land around, but where NDSU is, there isn't much. Why not utilize the current parking space and multiply it? Not that we're in the same situation, but it works well for U of M. And adding a ramp would mean not having to add parking for a long time. I get it costs money but so does wasting valuable land on a parking lot because you're too cheap to build up. Connect to housing with skywalks and the students will really love it.
    Structures like parking garages are more expensive in Fargo because they have to sit on 100ft reinforced concrete stilts down through the clay that was the bottom of Lake Agassiz.

My memory may be failing me but didn't this board, some years ago, get a few months of entertainment out of shitting on UND for the expense of their on-campus parking ramp and how the parking fees for the ramp would never recover the building expense?

Back in my day I walked back and forth from T lot to the college of engineering in the middle of campus and I liked it. Pretty sure it was up hill both ways. Kids these days

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Back in my day I walked back and forth from T lot to the college of engineering in the middle of campus and I liked it. Pretty sure it was up hill both ways. Kids these days
    I had the exact same route, only to the college of nursing. We didn’t have Northface or Columbia either!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    I had the exact same route, only to the college of nursing. We didn’t have Northface or Columbia either!
    Columbia has been around since like the 1930's Northface i believe was like the mid 60's.

FYI for everyone.