Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: NDSU Tailgate One of the Best in College Football

Default Re: NDSU Tailgate One of the Best in College Football

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    You just gotta know where to go.
    We tailgated in the donor lots right off of Melrose by the stadium and it was half NDSU fans who were also lost apparently.

Most Iowa St fans have said the same thing about Iowa City. Its a ghost town if its a low profile opponent and awesome if its ISU or a high profile B1G team in town.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    We tailgated in the donor lots right off of Melrose by the stadium and it was half NDSU fans who were also lost apparently.

Most Iowa St fans have said the same thing about Iowa City. Its a ghost town if its a low profile opponent and awesome if its ISU or a high profile B1G team in town.
    You talked to ISU fans? That was your first mistake. Go one block east of the stadium on Melrose. Go RT on Melrose place and with in a 1/4 a block there is a party a block long and 1/2 a block wide. Ive been to games where the opponent was dog shit but its anything but a ghost town. Book your room to late and you will be staying in Cedar Rapids. Plus there are tons tailgate lots all around the stadiums you dont know about.

Granted the tailgate scene isnt optimal if you are a visitor and are used to having everything right next to the stadium. But there isnt enough time in the day to hit all of the tailgate lots and parties in IC.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    You talked to ISU fans? That was your first mistake. Go one block east of the stadium on Melrose. Go RT on Melrose place and with in a 1/4 a block there is a party a block long and 1/2 a block wide. Ive been to games where the opponent was dog shit but its anything but a ghost town. Book your room to late and you will be staying in Cedar Rapids. Plus there are tons tailgate lots all around the stadiums you dont know about.

Granted the tailgate scene isnt optimal if you are a visitor and are used to having everything right next to the stadium. But there isnt enough time in the day to hit all of the tailgate lots and parties in IC.
    It's not like this was our first rodeo traveling to an away game lol We stayed downtown, came with a roller cooler to take to house parties with us and just didn't find the fans very welcoming. We ended up making our own tailgate spot in the donor lot and invited other fans to hang out with us. It was fun, but I'd definitely take a Saturday in Ames over Iowa City. As for the actual towns, it's Iowa City>>>>>Ames.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    It's not like this was our first rodeo traveling to an away game lol We stayed downtown, came with a roller cooler to take to house parties with us and just didn't find the fans very welcoming. We ended up making our own tailgate spot in the donor lot and invited other fans to hang out with us. It was fun, but I'd definitely take a Saturday in Ames over Iowa City. As for the actual towns, it's Iowa City>>>>>Ames.
    Yep. we actually walked both ways on Melrose and it was pretty freaking lame. Our cab dropped us off on the east end of melrose and it was nothing but sidwalk vendors.

walked to the west end of Melrose all the way to about Sunset and said fuck it.

Im sure its fine like you make it out to be...but our group of about 7 couldnt find shit to set up camp and the locals were less than willing to talk to a bunch of visitors, which is weird.

The Ames tailgate across the stadium is nuts, and awesome. Been there 3 times and all 3 were better experiences than IC. Stayed DT right by the big bar scene, so got you beat there. that was admittedly a very nice area and better than anywhere in Ames. Just the gameday atmospheres were way different

Ames felt like more of a college town. Just my experience. Plus it has Superdogs which are freaking amazing when drunk.

Man a Superdog would taste amazing right now.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Iowa City College tailgating is decent for a big game like Iowa State, but never is it in the Top 25 tier.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Bison have spoken! And if there is anything other than football that Bison understand, it is tailgating.

For tailgating, Ames > Iowa City.

P.S. I agree that for an ordinary weekend out, Iowa City is better. I was there last night!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Yep. we actually walked both ways on Melrose and it was pretty freaking lame. Our cab dropped us off on the east end of melrose and it was nothing but sidwalk vendors.

walked to the west end of Melrose all the way to about Sunset and said fuck it.

Im sure its fine like you make it out to be...but our group of about 7 couldnt find shit to set up camp and the locals were less than willing to talk to a bunch of visitors, which is weird.

The Ames tailgate across the stadium is nuts, and awesome. Been there 3 times and all 3 were better experiences than IC. Stayed DT right by the big bar scene, so got you beat there. that was admittedly a very nice area and better than anywhere in Ames. Just the gameday atmospheres were way different
    Yep, the downtown bar scene is pretty good in IC. I knew you guys were going to enjoy that.

Problem is you stayed on Melrose. If you would have turned off and went down the side streets there is a lot of action. If you would have ventured past the stadium towards the the Rec Building, IPF and the baseball field you would have found more tailgate lots.

Only difference at Iowa is the lay out, as tailgating is broken up all over the place. Hell you got people tailgating way out in Coralville and they then take the Hawkeye Express(train) to the game. As you experienced the majority of tailgating isnt next to the stadium.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

PL, you are the reason we took the train and it was a great experience. We sat next to a dad and his 13 year old boy who shared his cookies with my kids and was courteously confident that his hawks, hawks is funny, would win easily. My girls who have been to many a game just dont know losing were nice but bewildered about his dense attitude. So game happened and we board train again and wouldnt ya know, there they are. Just smiles from us and kid said panthers dont have a chance

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Ames felt like more of a college town. Just my experience. Plus it has Superdogs which are freaking amazing when drunk.

Man a Superdog would taste amazing right now.
    I had some street meat from a cart on Welch, I think that I regretted later.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯