Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    I wish that Wofford game was available to watch online.
    All I could find is 8 minutes of highlights.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Couple corrections:

Highest AP finish was around 28 or 29 after 2013.

Grant's injury was only kind of career ending. He did not get immediate surgery and played in the national title game.

My favorite Grant memory is his tormenting of helping Zach Zenner establish a new unit of measure.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Couple corrections:

Highest AP finish was around 28 or 29 after 2013.

Grant's injury was only kind of career ending. He did not get immediate surgery and played in the national title game.

My favorite Grant memory is his tormenting of helping Zach Zenner establish a new unit of measure.
    Thanks for the corrections. I will clarify the point about the final polls. I forgot about Grant and the title game and I will correct that as well.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

It is another beautiful day in the neighborhood and the Evil Empire is one-day closer to beginning its efforts to keep the dynasty going by winning 7 out of 8 National Championships. This is day 33 in the Countdown to Cal Poly.

**The Tennesse Titans selected Nick Schommer as a defensive back in 2009 in the 7th round. He was the 33rd pick in that round and the 242nd player chosen overall.
    **In the 30 playoff games since 2010 the Bison have outscored opponents 1,005 to 389. That's an average of 33.5 to 13 or a +20.5 point differential.
    **In the 2015 semifinals, the Bison defeated Richmond 33-7. Quarterback Kyle Lauletta had a rough day against the Bison defense throwing for171 yards (55 yards on one play) having only 12 completions in 26 attempts. He threw 2 picks, had 5 passes broken up, 5 hurries and was sacked 3 times. He was selected by the Giants in this year's NFL draft as the 108th overall pick in the 4th round.
    **During the 2012-2014 seasons, NDSU had an FCS record 33 consecutive wins. It was tied for the longest streak in the last 50 years and it was the 8th longest in all of Division 1 history.

Two great quarterbacks played 33 career games for the Bison.

Chris Simdorn (1987-1990) was not only an AP and Football Gazette All -American, but also the 1990 Harlon Hill Trophy winner as the best player in D2. He was instrumental in helping to win two national championships and was the all-time rushing for the for the Herd when his career was finished. As only the third player in any division to rush for over 3,000 yards he totaled 3,313 on 599 carries for a 5.5 average and 55 touchdowns. Simdorn added 1,889 yards and 17 touchdowns through the air. The video clip shows one of his touchdown passes, an NCAA D2 Playoff record 75 yarder to then true freshman T.R. McDonald in 1990.

https://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=46&path=&kiosk=

Another great was Steve Walker (2004-2007). In my opinion one of NDSU's greatest passers, he played on some very good teams (35 -7 overall record, .833) but never got an opportunity to play for a championship because of the transition period to D1. Over his four years, he passed for a total of 4,706 yards and 40 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions. Walker still shares Bison records for the most passes attempted (46), completed (29) and touchdown passes (5) in a game.

He had many great moments, but two of favorites were both game-winning passes to Kyle Heckendorf in 2007. The first was a 27-yard touchdown against SHSU that left only 7.4 seconds on the clock.
    (See next post).
    The second was just as dramatic and came against Cal Poly. The Bison trailed 28-9 with 10.02 left in the fourth quarter and after NDSU closed the gap to 28-23 Walker threw an 80-yard pass with only 38 seconds left.
    (See post after next)
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_i...&path=football

"Time continues to pass whether we are cognizant of, acknowledge or like the fact" Day 32 tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Walker to Heckendorf against SHSU 2007.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-30-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    Paul Fix

Walker to Heckendorf at Cal Poly 2007.
    Paul Fix

I'll just put this here. Today I learned you can't put three videos in one post. Then I learned you can't put two videos in one post.
    Paul Fix

“The most important sentence in any article is the first one. If it doesn’t induce the reader to proceed to the second sentence, your article is dead." Only 32 days until the Bison play host to Cal Poly (that's all I've got for an opening today). For full disclosure, it is actually a few minutes before day 32, but just like when you read thebigund's posts you have to suspend disbelief.

**In the final 2011, AP Football Poll NDSU was ranked #32 which at the time was an FCS record.
    **In both the 2014 and 2015 playoffs the Bison averaged scoring 32.5 points per game.
    **From 2003-2015 Craig Bohl had a 104-32 (.765) won-loss record.
    **Phil Hansen (1987-1990) holds the Bison record for career pass breakups at 32. Hansen, of course, went on to play for the Buffalo Bills as a defensive end from 1991-2001. What a player in both settings.
    **The 2013 team has to be in the conversation as the best in program history. They not only beat K-State 24-21 and were a perfect 11-0 in the regular season, but also outscored opponents in four playoff games by 131 points. That's an average of +32.75. The defense held 9 teams to 10 points or less. This team has been one of the standards that all other Bison teams have been measured against.

From 1999-2004 6-2 221-pound linebacker Brian Erenberg wore the #32 jersey for the Bison. From West Fargo, Brian played in only 22 games his first several years because of two-foot injuries and serving in a backup capacity. In 2011 he played in all 11 games and totaled 78 tackles including 43 by himself. He had 6 tackles for loss to go along with his 2 interceptions. In that last season, he was known as a playmaker who ran well and was a hitter. Imagine that for a Bison linebacker.

From 2006-2010 #32 was passed on to 5-10 183-pound Derrius Colvin. Due to persistent injuries, he saw limited action as a cornerback and special teams player but still managed 45 tackles in his career, with 24 unassisted. I couldn't find a picture of Colvin in action and thought about borrowing a photo illustration from the Forum, but decided on this one instead.

In 2018 #32 will be worn by Zak Kunz (I think), a 6-2 249-pound fullback. He was a walk-on in 2016 and according to the BV rumor mill (which is always churning of course about one thing or another) there was the possibility that he would go to MIT. According to the 2017 participation reports he did play in four games in the early part of the season and he is on the 2018 Spring Roster. Does anyone have an update? One interesting item is that his dad was an All-NCC linebacker for the folks up North and Zak decided to come over to the dark side (we are the Evil Empire after all) in order to major in architecture.

"A day, a unit of time, is approximately the period of time during which the Earth completes one rotation with respect to the Sun (solar day)." I am fairly confident tomorrow will be day 31.
    Paul Fix

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    “The most important sentence in any article is the first one. If it doesn’t induce the reader to proceed to the second sentence, your article is dead." Only 32 days until the Bison play host to Cal Poly (that's all I've got for an opening today). For full disclosure, it is actually a few minutes before day 32, but just like when you read thebigund's posts you have to suspend disbelief.

**In the final 2011, AP Football Poll NDSU was ranked #32 which at the time was an FCS record.
    **In both the 2014 and 2015 playoffs the Bison averaged scoring 32.5 points per game.
    **From 2003-2015 Craig Bohl had a 104-32 (.765) won-loss record.
    **Phil Hansen (1987-1990) holds the Bison record for career pass breakups at 32. Hansen, of course, went on to play for the Buffalo Bills as a defensive end from 1991-2001. What a player in both settings.
    **The 2013 team has to be in the conversation as the best in program history. They not only beat K-State 24-21 and were a perfect 11-0 in the regular season, but also outscored opponents in four playoff games by 131 points. That's an average of +32.75. The defense held 9 teams to 10 points or less. This team has been one of the standards that all other Bison teams have been measured against.

From 1999-2004 6-2 221-pound linebacker Brian Erenberg wore the #32 jersey for the Bison. From West Fargo, Brian played in only 22 games his first several years because of two-foot injuries and serving in a backup capacity. In 2011 he played in all 11 games and totaled 78 tackles including 43 by himself. He had 6 tackles for loss to go along with his 2 interceptions. In that last season, he was known as a playmaker who ran well and was a hitter. Imagine that for a Bison linebacker.

From 2006-2010 #32 was passed on to 5-10 183-pound Derrius Colvin. Due to persistent injuries, he saw limited action as a cornerback and special teams player but still managed 45 tackles in his career, with 24 unassisted. I couldn't find a picture of Colvin in action and thought about borrowing a photo illustration from the Forum, but decided on this one instead.

In 2018 #32 will be worn by Zak Kunz (I think), a 6-2 249-pound fullback. He was a walk-on in 2016 and according to the BV rumor mill (which is always churning of course about one thing or another) there was the possibility that he would go to MIT. According to the 2017 participation reports he did play in four games in the early part of the season and he is on the 2018 Spring Roster. Does anyone have an update? One interesting item is that his dad was an All-NCC linebacker for the folks up North and Zak decided to come over to the dark side (we are the Evil Empire after all) in order to major in architecture.

"A day, a unit of time, is approximately the period of time during which the Earth completes one rotation with respect to the Sun (solar day)." I am fairly confident tomorrow will be day 31.
    Phil Hansen with 32 career pass breakups??? That doesn't seem possible for a defensive lineman. I have visions of opposing quarterbacks screaming like a school girl and throwing the ball at Phil as he busts through the offensive lines, putting up slightly less resistance than a light breeze to Phil. 41 sacks and 32 passes defended is just stupid. Glad I got to watch him play!
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Phil Hansen with 32 career pass breakups??? That doesn't seem possible for a defensive lineman.
    It does seem incredible, doesn't it.
    http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/r...cidcareer.html
    Paul Fix