Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Default Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    It is 42 days to go, or if you prefer, 1,008 hours, (or 60,480,minutes or 3,628,800 seconds).
    What a difference a week makes!

Last week you seem to be struggling with simple addition and subtraction. Now you appear to be mocking us with your complete and total mastery of the mathematical sciences and disciplines.

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    What a difference a week makes!

Last week you seem to be struggling with simple addition and subtraction. Now you appear to be mocking us with your complete and total mastery of the mathematical sciences and disciplines.
    Would I mock anyone on this board ? I am just being careful by checking and double checking after the merciless beating I took last week.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

The countdown continues and it is 41 more days to Cal Poly. It's another great day to be a Bison fan and I for one feel fortunate to be able to witness this incredible run. Three games with a significance for the number 41:
    **The 1983 D2 Championship game over Central State Ohio 41-21,
    **A 1st round victory 41-7 over Augustana in the first round of the D2 playoffs, and
    **1995 1st round victory in the D2 tournament, 41-10 over UN_.

Three players share the Bison record for quarterback sacks at 41. Jerry Dahl (1973-1974) accomplished the feat in only 21 games and also holds the single season (31) and game (7) records. Man, I would have loved to see this guy play. Phil Hansen (1987-1990) and Kyle Emanuel (2011-2014) both share the career mark. Lamar Gordon (1998-2001) who played in 41 games holds the Bison career rushing record of 4,696 yards and had either 62 or 64 TDs depending on which record book you consult. At any rate, he was pretty good.

Here are two of the players who have worn #41 for the Bison.

(If you remember Bison football in 1939 or Mr. Peabody and Sherman YOU ARE OLD).

The first was halfback Ernie Wheeler who, in 1939, became the first Bison ever drafted by the NFL. He was chosen by the Pittsburg Steelers in the 2nd pick in the 5th round as the 32nd player overall. That was the highest pick until Wentz was chosen as the 2nd overall pick in 2016. Of course, there were only 10 NFL teams in 1939. This is what I thought was a fun fact. In 1939 Wheeler threw his only touchdown pass in the NFL and he was the only Bison player to accomplish that feat until Wentz in 2016. Let's hope we don't have to wait another 77 years. Ernie also went on to play a few games for the Chicago Cardinals. For those of you who say you want changes in the Bison helmets, you should view the photo of Wheeler on the left column of the page, third from the bottom. Maybe its time for real throwbacks.

Second, outside linebacker M.J. Stumph wore #41 from 2012-2016. In 2015 he was second on the team with 81 tackles, and in 2016 was first with 85 (13.5 TFL). The play in his career that most will probably remember him for was his 21-yard interception return for a touchdown against Iowa that came after the hit on C.J. Beathard by Pierre Gee-Tucker. Click for a video clip.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17569073

M.J. also picked up several awards in 2016:
    * 2016 HERO Sports All-America Third Team
    * 2016 All-MVFC First Team
    * 2016 College Sports Journal National All-Star
    * 2016 MVFC Defensive Player of the Week
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6763

Tomorrow is probably day #40.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-22-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Today is a Monday, and 40 days are left in the Cal Poly Mustang Triple Option Marathon Sweepstakes.

NDSU finished 1st or 2nd 32 times in the old North Central Conference standings from 1964-2003 and had 23 titles that 40 year period.

Three of the Bison players who wore #40 are listed below:
    ** 1993 All-American split end T.R. McDonald (1990-1993). T.R. played in 39 games, caught 134 passes for 2,524 yards (average of 18.8) and scored 22 times. He holds the Bison record for receiving touchdowns in one game with four against St. Cloud on October 23, 1993. This is a picture of T.R., second from the left in the back row. There are some other great players in this picture as well.
    http://admin.gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=4&path=&kiosk=

**2007 All-American running back Tyler Roehl (2004-2008). Used primarily as a blocker in his first two years, in his last two seasons he was a beast. In 2007 and 2008 he ran 378 times and totaled 2498 yards (6.6 ypc) and 34 touchdowns. He still holds the single-game rushing recorded of 263 yards on just 22 carries (12 ypc) which came on October 20, 2007, against Minnesota. That year against Stephen F. Austin and Illinois State he also had 200 yard plus games (and totaled six games with 100 yards or more). In those two years, he displayed the tenacity that he has passed on to players as running backs and tight ends coach for the Bison. To paraphrase one of the players a couple years ago they were told: "There is nothing in the rule book that says you have to be tackled". In this picture, he is playing "Catch Me If You Can" in Minneapolis (SPOILER ALERT: They actually did catch him on this run). Below the picture is a gif of what looks like the same play.

https://imgur.com/aOQRANu
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2033&path=football

**Andrew Grothman (2010-2013) helped the Bison win three National Championships as a 6-1 232-pound fullback. During his career, he carried the ball only one time and had 12 catches for 120 yards. However, like most NDSU fullbacks, he was known as a physical blocker and helped pave the way for 1,000 yard running backs McNortan, Ojuri, and Crockett. Below is a picture of Andrew scoring his only career touchdown, demonstrating the delicate workmanship of a fullback who is not used to getting his ball in his hands.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4583&path=football

Finally, we get to turn a corner, saying goodbye to 40 days and over and getting to day 39 tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Paul Fix

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    The countdown continues and it is 41 more days to Cal Poly. It's another great day to be a Bison fan and I for one feel fortunate to be able to witness this incredible run. Three games with a significance for the number 41:
    **The 1983 D2 Championship game over Central State Ohio 41-21,
    **A 1st round victory 41-7 over Augustana in the first round of the D2 playoffs, and
    **1995 1st round victory in the D2 tournament, 41-10 over UN_.

Three players share the Bison record for quarterback sacks at 41. Jerry Dahl (1973-1974) accomplished the feat in only 21 games and also holds the single season (31) and game (7) records. Man, I would have loved to see this guy play. Phil Hansen (1987-1990) and Kyle Emanuel (2011-2014) both share the career mark. Lamar Gordon (1998-2001) who played in 41 games holds the Bison career rushing record of 4,696 yards and had either 62 or 64 TDs depending on which record book you consult. At any rate, he was pretty good.

Here are two of the players who have worn #41 for the Bison.

(If you remember Bison football in 1939 or Mr. Peabody and Sherman YOU ARE OLD).

The first was halfback Ernie Wheeler who, in 1939, became the first Bison ever drafted by the NFL. He was chosen by the Pittsburg Steelers in the 2nd pick in the 5th round as the 32nd player overall. That was the highest pick until Wentz was chosen as the 2nd overall pick in 2016. Of course, there were only 10 NFL teams in 1939. This is what I thought was a fun fact. In 1939 Wheeler threw his only touchdown pass in the NFL and he was the only Bison player to accomplish that feat until Wentz in 2016. Let's hope we don't have to wait another 77 years. Ernie also went on to play a few games for the Chicago Cardinals. For those of you who say you want changes in the Bison helmets, you should view the photo of Wheeler on the left column of the page, third from the bottom. Maybe its time for real throwbacks.

Second, outside linebacker M.J. Stumph wore #41 from 2012-2016. In 2015 he was second on the team with 81 tackles, and in 2016 was first with 85 (13.5 TFL). The play in his career that most will probably remember him for was his 21-yard interception return for a touchdown against Iowa that came after the hit on C.J. Beathard by Pierre Gee-Tucker. Click for a video clip.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17569073

M.J. also picked up several awards in 2016:
    * 2016 HERO Sports All-America Third Team
    * 2016 All-MVFC First Team
    * 2016 College Sports Journal National All-Star
    * 2016 MVFC Defensive Player of the Week
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6763

Tomorrow is probably day #40.
    That was great page...I remember fondly the group from the early 80's...some good/cold times at Dacotah Field....Horns Up!!!!

Just got notification that I scored tickets to Cal Poly. Now need to figure out logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Just got notification that I scored tickets to Cal Poly. Now need to figure out logistics.
    Congratulations. Do either of these help?

Paul Fix

Greetings and welcome to day 39 and the 13th edition of "Countdown To Cal Poly," or as I would say in another life, "Chúc mừng và chào mừng đến ngày 39 và ấn bản thứ 13 của "Đếm ngược đến Cal Poly."

Here is a link to "39 Interesting Facts" about #11. They kind of miss the mark because they have nothing about Duane's Pizza.
    https://www.uselessdaily.com/sports/.../#.W1TRUtJKjXR

**Dan Meyer (1975-1978) holds the career record at 39 for penetrations (tackles for loss sans sacks). At this point, we've just lost Izzy.
    **In the 1981 D2 Quarterfinal Playoffs NDSU beat Puget Sound 24-10 and held them to 52 yards rushing on 39 carries.
    **Pittsburg went down to defeat in the 1990 D2 semifinals 39-29.
    **The 2010 Bison scored 39 offensive touchdowns (27 rushing and 12 passing).
    **In the 2012 rematch of the 2011 FCS Championship SHSU lost 39-13.
    **In the 2014 FCS Quarterfinals it was 39-32 over Coastal Carolina, in one hell of a good game.
    **In the four 2017 FCS playoff games, NDSU opponents scored a total of 39 points. How about that Bison defense.

In 2018 #39 is worn by 6-0 250 pound Junior Garrett Malstrom. Like all NDSU Fullbacks Garrett knows how to block and here is a picture of him getting ready to do his thing against Youngstown.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7428

During his career, Chad Stark (1983-1986) played in 39 games. He had 406 rushing attempts for 2,837 yards and 34 touchdowns, almost 7 yards per carry. He added 1,082 yards and 4 touchdowns in 12 postseason games. A second-team All-American in 1986 he was drafted by the New York Giants in the 12th round in 1987. I thought that it was neat that in 1983 NDSU had an all-freshman backfield of Stark, Bentrim, and Molstre that beat Central State of Ohio 41-21 in the D2 Championship game. Pictures of Chad from that era were hard to find, but there are two below. The first is with another #26, Tony Satter, and the second is from an article on the 1985 team.

http://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=74&path=&kiosk=

That's all I've got and we are now heading toward day 38. At this point, we have gone through 13 days and are 25% of the way to the Dome.
    Paul Fix

Another day closer to Bison football and this is your .38 Special. I really like their music.

**From 1939-2016, 38 Bison players were drafted by NFL teams.
    **Keith Krebsbach (1972-1973) had 38 punt returns in his career for 543 yards and a 14.3 average.
    **Bison quarterback Mark Speral (1977-1980) played in 38 games and had 38 touchdowns to go along with 2,364 yards rushing.
    **In four games in the 2017 FCS playoffs the Bison scored 152 points for an average of 38.
    **In 2013 Furman went down 38-7 in a second-round FCS playoff game.
    **In the 2010 FCS Quarterfinals, we were beaten by Eastern Washington 38-31 in overtime. In the words of Joe Jacobs after Max Schmeling lost a decision to Jack Sharkey in 1935, "We Was Robbed". Some say he actually said, "We Wuz Robbed" which sounds more like a boxing manager. I got a little satisfaction when we beat EWU in 2016 50-44 and a whole lot more last year 40-13.

Okay, this is definitely way so to coin a phrase "Pardon The Interruption". I figure its okay since every thread digresses at some point and I wanted to post it somewhere. Jacobs, a Hungarian Jew, was quite a character. After Schmeling won a 1935 fight in Hamburg 25,000 spectators stood up, started singing the Nazi anthem and, of course, gave the Nazi salute. A deceased sympathizer Oberst-Gruppenführer affiliated with another institution would have been proud. After hesitating and not knowing what to do Jacobs raised his right arm with his cigar in his hand in what looks to me like a half ass effort and winked at Schmeling. This didn't go over well, and as you would expect, the Nazis were really ticked off because of the "disrespect". Hitler met with Schmeling and his wife and chatted her up but completely ignored Max. Several times the Nazis pressured Schmeling to drop Jacobs but he refused. Good for him. That's Jacobs on the far right partially hidden by the ropes.

Back to Bison football and day 38.

Currently, #38 is worn by 6-2 205 Jaxon Brown who is a strong safety and a Junior. Below is a picture of him getting ready to take down a bunny on a kickoff.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7981&path=football

By having that #38 jersey Jaxon has a lot to live up to. One of the best to wear it was 6-1 220-pound linebacker Carlton Littlejohn (2010-2014). He not only had speed, he was a hitter. Montana's Mitch Saylor undoubtedly has never forgotten this lick.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...06&FORM=WRVORC
    Over his career, Littlejohn was fourth in the record books for his 345 tackles and third with 155 solos. He also had 8 forced fumbles and 7 recoveries. Oh, and four National Championships.
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5756&path=football

We are slowly starting to make progress and in less than 24 hours we will have 37 days to wait. Loaf, in a few weeks, start getting plenty of Jagermeister chilled.
    Paul Fix

It is day 37 and things are moving along at a fast clip toward the September 1st opener against Cal Poly (I'm trying to appear upbeat today, but actually things are going at a snail's pace).

**In 2011 we beat Minnesota 37-24 to go 2-1 against them since we went D1. For some reason, they don't seem to want to play us again so we have had to settle for beating teams like K-State, Iowa and Iowa State. Oh, well.
    **The Bison offense scored 37 or more points 6 times in both 2011 and 2012.
    **In 2015 we beat Montana 37-6 in the second round of the FCS playoffs avenging an opening day loss in Missoula. Crowd noise in the Dome reached 120 decibels. That level is said to be equal to a thunderclap, chainsaw, and oxygen torch (121 dB) and is rated as "painful". We could do even better against Cal Poly if we could get the milk drinkers and knitters to cooperate.
    **The 2015 FCS National Championship game against Jacksonville State resulted in a 37-10 victory. People think Bison fans are arrogant (okay, let's face it overall we are) but I thought these were some of the most obnoxious fans ever.

**Before the Championship game in 2017 Code Green had a total of 37 sacks. They added 4 more against James Madison. The defense last season in the playoffs was awesome.

Coming up with former Bison players that wore #37 was tough. I finally found a 2007 post from BV that listed those players from 1997 to 2003:
    **1997 Gail Collins III, CB, Fr, Aurora CO
    **1998 Brian Westby, FB, Fr Spicer MN
    **1999 Nick Bertsch, RB, Fr Kulm and Jeff Thoreson (1999- 2002), SS, Fr, Fargo
    **2000 Collin Gravalin, RB, Fr, Fosston
    **2001 Tim Kraemer, LB, So, Dickinson
    **2002 Alex Kingsley, LB, Fr, Fargo
    **2003 Terrance Fleming, HB, Jr, Carrollton MS
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/arch...p/t-10390.html
    If you are reading this thread, thank you roadwarrior.

Another #37 was Tyler Henry (2005-2009) 6-2 232-pound linebacker. He played in only 28 games in his career but was the starting middle linebacker in 2009. Early in the season, he suffered a torn ACL that evidently ended his career. After his injury, Bohl called him "the heart and soul of the defense".
    https://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3883

Today #37 is worn by Tre Fort a 5-8 185-pound Junior cornerback. Despite being a backup, he has played in 26 of the 29 games the last two years.

http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7994&path=football
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7403&path=football

Finally, in wrapping up day 37 I want to note that Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, 1,923 miles from Fargo. Realizing that we are somewhat off the beaten path I thought it might be neighborly to post this map and give them a general idea of where we can be located (of course in recent years come early January we can usually be found in Texas).
    Paul Fix