Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown To Cal Poly

Default Re: Countdown To Cal Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Is that what your abacus told you, or did you cipher that out all on your own.
    Neither. Figured it out on my computer.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Neither. Figured it out on my computer.
    Not to burst your bubble, but dem der thingamabobs are tape drives.

(But you knew that.)
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post

(But you knew that.)
    Hey, they looked old. Don't tell anyone else.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post

(But you knew that.)
    Tape drives, computers, copious amounts of Jagermeister ......... it’s all the same to him, Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Day 46, tick tock. In his four regular-season games SDSU's Zach Zenner had 46 carries for a total for 177 yards. That's an average of 3.85 ypc, or .96 of a Zenner (that calculation is for you Loaf). The Bison record for passes attempted is 46 and is held by Steve Walker in 2006 against Ball State and Frank Esposito in 1951 against UN_. I doubt the record will be broken anytime soon.

I always look forward to paying my respects to one of the greatest Bison receivers of all time, Stacy Robinson. He was drafted by the new York giants in 1985 in the 2nd round as the 46th overall pick in the draft. He had a six-year career in the NFL and helped the Giants win Superbowls in 1987 and 1991. Stacy was the first NDSU graduate to win a Superbowl ring (followed by Tyrone Braxton who won two with the Broncos and some guy whose name I can't remember with the Eagles). He was inducted into the Bison Hall Of Fame in 1991 as a Football 3rd team All-American in football for his three seasons at NDSU. Some forget that Robinson was also honored as a two time All American in track and a six-time North Central Conference Champion. Tragically he died in 2012 at only age 50.
    http://gobison.com/hof.aspx?hof=100&path=&kiosk=

One of my favorites who wore #46 in the modern era for the Bison was Andrew Bonnett. He was a 6' 3" 250-pound fullback/tight end who played in 61 games (2012-2015 seasons) and caught 56 passes for 575 yards. He carried the ball only 8 times for 38 yards, but that wasn't his specialty. Bonnett was one hell of a vicious blocker.
    https://i.imgur.com/p1DeYVc.jpg?1

If the calendar calculator Christopher Moen provided for me is correct, tomorrow is 45 days to go.
    Craig Dahl also won a superbowl ring with the Giants in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Craig Dahl also won a superbowl ring with the Giants in 2008.
    Thanks, SD, I missed that one. I was working off of a list of drafted players.
    Paul Fix

Day 45 and we are finally halfway through the forties. Tony Satter was a star running back for the Bison, but he also returned kicks. He totaled 1229 yards on 45 returns for a 27.3 average. In 2007 Joe Mays, a great linebacker who went on to a career in the NFL had 90 total tackles in 10 games, 45 solo and 45 assisted. In 2016 NDSU beat San Diego 45-7 in the second round of the playoffs. Two weeks later weeks later the Bison lost to JMU and the FCS record for Consecutive Non- conference Home Wins came to an end at 45. I was in the North end zone as always and as the game was in its final minutes the Bison had the ball at that end of the field. A JMU player came running onto the field and pointed to the section of JMU fans which got them, even more, jazzed up. For some reason, that scene stuck in my craw everytime I thought of that game until we won the Natty this year. Revenge is sweet.

Number 45 Chad Wilson was a transfer from Snow College in Utah and was only at NDSU for two years in 2010-2011. The 5-11, 221-pound linebacker made quite a splash in his first game as a Bison against Kansas. He had 6 solo and 6 assisted tackles. Here is a picture of Chad having fun in Lawrence.
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1355&path=football

More recently,#45 for the Bison was 6-2 220 pound Levi Jordheim. Levi had some problems with injuries and in 25 games in 2015-2016, only had 15 tackles. In 2017 he showed what he could do and had 43, including 28 solos in 10 games. Here is to his health this year. In the picture below that is Levi on the right at a team meeting.
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7417&path=football

Time marches on, 44 days to go tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Fix

We are at 44 days left and things are moving at a snail's pace. There are two MVFC records that are held by the Bison: 18 Consecutive Conference Wins (2012-2014) and 26 Consecutive Home Wins (2012-2015). I cheated a little bit to work this in, but hey they total 44. In 22 D1 Dome playoff games, Bison opponents have had 52 false start penalties, 44% of their total infractions. Crank up those speakers to try to simulate crowd noise.

In 2007 NDSU trounced Central Michigan University 44-14. This is a link to the only clip of that game that anyone can find, and of course, it is CMU scoring. How did any other evidence of this Bison victory get destroyed? #Conspiracy.
    https://youtu.be/O5eGKFdXRYk
    And now I see that Bison Bridge Guy has posted on the Video Links Thread that Izzo has some highlights of the game. Obviously, Izzo has been part of the conspiracy.
    https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/stat...60117637341184

A group of on-going Bison streaks also total 44.
    6 Wins against FBS Competition (2010–2016) FCS Record
    7 Consecutive FCS Semifinals appearances (2011-present) FCS Record
    7 Conference Championships (2011–2017)
    8 Consecutive FCS Quarterfinals appearances (2010-Present) FCS Record
    8 Playoff Appearances (2010–2017)
    8 Winning Seasons (51 winning seasons in last 54 years)

In the semi-way back machine #44 was worn by the Bison great, linebacker 5-11 222 pound Ramon Humber. He played 43 games for NDSU from 2005-2008 and had a total of 247 tackles (147 solos, 23.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks). In 2009 he was undrafted but has played for the Colts, Saints, and Bills.

From 2013-2016 #44 was worn by Matt Plank. For most of his career, he was a backup linebacker and contributor on special teams. I thought that he deserved some special mention because of the way he stepped up to start at middle linebacker in 10 games when Nick DeLuca was injured in 2016. He finished the season third on the team with 76 tackles and an interception. Here is a picture of Matt doing his best Travis Beck imitation.

That's all for day 44. God willing and the Red river don't rise I'll try to think of something for day 43.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Paul Fix

Day 43 and probably another round of Loaf's insufferable shtick on the AC/DC thread . In 2000 NDSU played its next to last D2 playoff game in the quarterfinals against the University of Nebraska of Omaha and won 43-21. In 2010 the Bison won its first D1 playoff game in history against Robert Morris 43-7. Tim Strehlow (1996-1999) had 26 receiving touchdowns and Eric Nelson (1997-2000) had 18, both in 43 career games.

To top things off here is a pair of players, Cole Davis and Cam Petersen, whose jersey numbers equal 43.

Beating #13 Iowa ranks right up there as one of the Bison's greatest wins of all time. A 46-yard 1:53 drive preceded Petersen's field goal. One of the highlights was Stick's 29 yard run with a nice stiff arm of (if I remember correctly) Desmond King. Somewhat lost in the game-ending drama was "The Drive Part Two" earlier in the fourth quarter that covered 80 yards, 15 plays (12 runs), and took 8:39 off the clock. Sound vaguely familiar? Held to 36 rushing yards on 23 carries in the first half the Bison ran the damn ball for 203 on 26 runs in the second. Three Hawkeyes finished with 11 tackles, including a very good linebacker #43 Josey Jewell who was drafted this year by the Denver Broncos.

It is not quite on par with the stunned K-State fan, but this picture was taken after almost everyone had left. Nothing says "I can't believe it" like not being able to move.

That's a wrap for day 43. Tomorrow should be 42.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-20-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Paul Fix

It is 42 days to go, or if you prefer, 1,008 hours, (or 60,480,minutes or 3,628,800 seconds). Several playoff games were won by the Bison where they scored 42 points:
    **1988 D2 semis against Sacramento State (42-20)
    **1992 D2 ist round against NE Missouri State (42-7)
    **2012 FCS 2nd round against Montana State, (42-17) and
    **2017 FCS 2nd round against the triple option of Wofford (42-10).

The Bison record for most Offensive Total Attempts at 42 was set in 1982 by quarterback Mark Nellermoe against U.C. Davis. A total of 42 career games has significance for three Bison greats:
    **Sean Fredricks (1994-1997) who totaled 363 career tackles at linebacker
    **Rob Hunt (42 consecutive starts) at center in spite of having a cast on his snapping hand in 2003. He was drafted by the Colts in the 5th round in 2005 and
    **Travis White (2002-2006) who had 183 catches for 1,834 yards and 15 touchdowns.

The current Bison wearing #42 is, of course, 6-3, 233-pound linebacker Jabril Cox. How we got him I will never know and it was one hell of a recruiting job. Personally, I thought he had the potential to be great based on one play that I saw in the 2017 spring game. I don't know who he was lined up against, but at the snap of the ball he took one step and was around the defender heading toward the quarterback. For his first five games, he was used in a reserve role and on special teams. His first start was against Youngstown in the 27-24 overtime win and had 8 tackles (7 solo, 3 for loss) and 2 sacks. In the pictures below he is making friends with Penqiun quarterback Nathan Mays and a running back.

What can I say about his first season at NDSU? He led the team with 75 tackles (47 solo), tackles for loss (13), was 3rd in assists (28), 4th in sacks (4.5) and 4th in quarterback hurries (6). I fully expect with his speed he is going to meet and greet a few Cal Poly ball carriers. In 2017 he picked up a few awards along the way:
    * 2017 STATS FCS Jerry Rice Award Finalist (6th)
    * 2017 HERO Sports FCS Freshman All-American
    * 2017 MVFC Newcomer of the Year
    * 2017 MVFC Freshman of the Year
    * 2017 All-MVFC Second Team
    * 2017 STATS FCS National Freshman of the Week
    * 2017 MVFC Newcomer of the Week (2)
    http://gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7987&path=football
    I almost forgot, he also picked up a ring.

Time Marches on and tomorrow will be day 41.
    Last edited by Vet70; 07-23-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Paul Fix